Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Canon Confusion

I had an old Canon 5 megapixel S60 that took beautiful pictures until a drowning accident this summer. I rarely shot in anything other than automatic modes and it was hard to take a bad picture.

I'm returning a Panasonic ZS7 because I thought the image quality and low light shooting didn't compare to my old Canon. I also felt like I missed some shots, maybe slow shutter or maybe I didn't have settings correct. I'm definitely going back to Canon and here are the models that I'm considering, SD4500, S95, SD4000.

I'm struggling because I would like to have a little stronger zoom than my S60. I shoot photos of pets, people (party photos), and landscapes at times. (We live on a mountain and have panoramic views, so I experimented with stitch assist with the Canon software.) I think I liked the wider angle, 28 mm. I also volunteer at a big cat rescue sanctuary so I really like the idea of HD video and being able to zoom in the video mode. All that being said, none of these wants are deal breakers because I don't want to sacrifice consistent image quality and color. I don't want to have to Photoshop or have to tweak the photos alot either.

I'm really drawn to the SD4500 because of the zoom and HD video. I don't know exactly what I lose going from 28mm to 36mm? Is the lens fast enough to capture pets and kids?

The S95 is probably the replacement for the S60. The zoom isn't as powerful as the Sd4500. Since I use mainly as point and shoot/automatic, wouldn't this be overkill?

What about the SD4000?

I've read reviews till I'm blue in the face and don't feel I'm any closer to a decision. Any input you can give me on these 3 cameras is greatly appreciated. Confused
SanDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Super Moderator

ok, you can take the sd4500 off the list, it is only 36mm at its widest, so it would not be a good choice for landscape shots.

that narrows it down to the s95 and sd4000. the s95 is the clear choice if you do shots in low light, and while it offers a wealth of manual controls, you can always just shoot it in an automatic mode, or even better shoot in P mode and control the ISO yourself.

the sd4000 is a nice compact as well. it won't handle low light situation as well as its bretheren, but it does better than most compacts. and will handle normal lighting situations very well, and saves you some money over the s95.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Coming from a camera with a 1/1.8" sensor (the S60) I doubt you're going to be happy with any of the 1/2.33" sensor cams. I honestly think the ZS7 has some of the best IQ in its class - better than the two Canon SD cams you've mentioned imho. Of course the ZS7 suffers in low lighting and IQ suffers greatly above ISO 400; both of those Canon SD cams will do better in low light.

I think the S95 is your best bet in keeping with the performance you are used to.

p.s. the shutter speeds are what is going to affect your ability to capture moving subjects in which case the CMOS-based cams are a better bet. You can't have it all unfortunately.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:34 PM   #4

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for your input. I think I'm going to go with the S95. I appreciate your help!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:31 PM   #5

You'll enjoy it; it's a great pocket cam. Random S95 pic from my HDD.

Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:41 PM   #6

Oh my gosh!! That is an amazing picture! Thank you for steering me in the right direction. Can't wait to start playing with the S95!