Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:49 AM   #21

Yes we also use the S90 & S95 for indoors...but the ZS7 can pull it off...these were in the rear of the buildning with only maginal lighting for the subjects themselves as the exhibits are much better lit...even with the backlighting the ZS7 did well a ISO 400 and 1/4 sec...

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:21 AM   #22

Impressive. This is more of what was needed as proof of low light ability. Although I would say museums are better lit than homes are.
Again, I think that any of these are all pretty much on par with quality. Just pick the one you have preference for, and if you like it when you get it, stick with it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Last edited by mrpete; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:36 PM   #23

Default Want an all-round compact with good zoom

I am interested in this thread because I'm looking for the same things. I'd like a compact camera with a fairly large zoom. 8x or 10x would be ok if all else was good.

I used the Pansonic SZ3 for awhile. There was much to like - especially the outdoor bright sunlight shots and video. What I really hated about it was that I couldn't get a good Flash photo. The center of the photo was over-exposed, almost "haloed", and the rest was too dark. They looked very unnatural.

Right now I'm wondering if I'd like the Canon sx210 or the Pansonic ZS7 better. I'd also consider other choices. I suppose I'd rather not have to use AA batteries, but would consider it if the rest was OK.

I like to travel and take a lot of shots that way. Love the zoom for that. I also have grandkids, though, so need something that can take decent photos of them and capture those special moments without a lot of fuss.

Thanks in advance.
Web Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:45 PM   #24

Default Good all-round compact with zoom

I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking for similar features. I love to travel and use the zoom when I do. I also have grandkids and want to capture special moments with them.

I used a Panasonic ZS3 for awhile. The sunny, outdoor photos and videos were outstanding, but I just couldn't get a good flash photo. The flash photos were overexposed in the center, with almost a "halo" effect. The rest of the photo was too dark. They looked very unnatural.

I'm looking at the Canon SX 210 or the Panasonic ZS7, but would consider others. A 10x zoom would be fine. So many people rave about the ZS7 that I wonder if the Flash shots would be better than with the ZS3 that I used. Or - should I go with the Canon?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Teacher View Post
I'm looking at the Canon SX 210 or the Panasonic ZS7, but would consider others. A 10x zoom would be fine. So many people rave about the ZS7 that I wonder if the Flash shots would be better than with the ZS3 that I used. Or - should I go with the Canon?

Thanks so much for your help.
I'm very happy w/ the ZS7 but the flash is weak. You need to be within say 10 feet of your subject. I also own an S95 and the flash is very powerful - at least 3x the range of the ZS7. I think the ZS7 is a better cam than the SX210 but I can't speak about the flash on the SX210.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:48 PM   #26

Default Flash on the ZS7

When you take flash photos with the ZS7, do you get the overexposed center and kind of a halo fading to underexposure as it goes out toward the edges? I'm hoping that the flash is at least better than that.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:48 PM   #27

Quote:
When you take flash photos with the ZS7, do you get the overexposed center and kind of a halo fading to underexposure as it goes out toward the edges? I'm hoping that the flash is at least better than that.
No, not at all. I am actually very happy with my flash photos. I use custom mode with the incandescent WB adjusted a couple notches towards blue if I recall correctly.

Here's one taken in a dark room with only a small desk light on behind me.

Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:54 AM   #28

Default Flash with the ZS7

Thanks so much. Your photo is SOOOO much better than I was getting with the ZS3. If I can do flash photos like that, I think I'd be really happy with the ZS7 camera. I assume that you were using a custom setting. I'll have to learn about those. If you have any bits of wisdom to pass my way, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks again.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks so much. Your photo is SOOOO much better than I was getting with the ZS3. If I can do flash photos like that, I think I'd be really happy with the ZS7 camera. I assume that you were using a custom setting. I'll have to learn about those. If you have any bits of wisdom to pass my way, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks again.
No problem. The ZS7 has 3 custom slots you have settings so I set one like this and then just select that mode when shooting indoors.

Program Auto
Intelligent ISO Max 400
AF multi
Metering evaluative
i Exposure off
i Resolution off
WB incandescent with WB adjust leaning 3 notches towards blue (adjust to your preference of course)

The rest is set at default I believe.

Last edited by FiveO; Nov 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:13 PM   #30

Default Thanks!

Much appreciated.