Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Panny ZS7 Video Quality

I was planning to buy the ZS7 as a carry around and to shoot videos. I understand it indoor low light IQ is not that good, but I have a D200 for that job. What I am wondering is how is the video quality on indoors.
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2

I think you already answered your question. Indoors is low light. Results are not going to be any better with the tiny CMOS-based cams either though. I would recommend looking into a Panasonic LX5.

50 lux Family living room
80 lux Hallway/toilet
100 lux Very dark overcast day
320–500 lux Office lighting
400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day.
1,000 lux Overcast day; typical TV studio lighting
10,000–25,000 lux Full daylight (not direct sun)
32,000–130,000 lux Direct sunlight
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:50 PM   #3

Do you think video quality of LX5 is better yhan Canon s95 in low light? (Apart from AF and Optical zoom than I hope next CHDk solve)
I check many videos on youtube from LX5 with a lot of problems manage bright lights, o sunny days.
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchymalaga View Post
Do you think video quality of LX5 is better yhan Canon s95 in low light? (Apart from AF and Optical zoom than I hope next CHDk solve)
I check many videos on youtube from LX5 with a lot of problems manage bright lights, o sunny days.
The problem of streaking in bright light will be present on both the LX5 and the S95 as it is related to the CCD sensor. The problem with the S95 for video, as you stated, is the lack of AF and Optical zoom. While CHDK may add both of these feature eventually, the zoom will still be very noisy and thus the LX5 will still be better for video.