Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:21 PM   #1

Default First-time camera buyer, looking at Nikon

I'd like to get a nice, professional-grade digital camera for myself. I'm looking specifically at the Nikon line (D7000, D80, D90, etc) right now, just to keep things simple.

I was looking specifically at the Nikon D90, but if there is a camera that has the same features and quality that the D90 does, for less money, I'd like to hear about it. I basically want a camera like this as a "toy" (term used lightly), to try and learn a thing or two about professional photography. I'd like a camera with interchangable lenses (obviously), different ISO settings, perhaps a burst shot mode, the ability to leave the shutter open for an extended period of time, things like that are what I want to experiment with. The other important thing to me is shutter response time, something I hate about consumer-grade camreas. If I push the shutter button, it should take the picture NOW (not 2 seconds later).

So if any Nikon fans out there could recommend a good mid-range camera (I'm looking to spend about $500-$1000, newer is better) for someone like me, I would be grateful. Thank you!
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:25 PM   #2

Do look into D7000($1200),D3100 around $700 and p7000 a prosumer p&s around $500.All of them xcellent cameras
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:33 PM   #3

D90 would be a good choice. The d3100 does not seem to be able to take auto brackets. Which is really handy for jpeg shooter.

But the D7000 is a great semi pro camera. Just a tad behind the aps-c flag ship of the d300. And the D400 when it comes out.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4

what is auto brackets?
The-Undecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5

It is when you can tell the camera to take a 3 shot series at different EV, or different exposures. Very usefully during dawn and dust where the light is very tricky and constantly changing.

You can tell the camera to over or underexpose a shot by steps of 1/3's.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:15 PM   #6

ahh then i need to do more research because i need my camera to be able to do that.
The-Undecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7

On your thread you said you want HDR, well you will need the auto bracket feature for it. Without it, it makes things allot harder.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yea, if you want HDR you will want to get a camera that can bracket an exposure. the aforementioned choices are good ones, the d90 is a nice cam at a good price right now. the new d7000 will be one of the best aps-c cameras on the market, its just a bit over your price range, but that camera will be viable for many years.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:16 PM   #9

Decided to go with a D90, thanks for the input guys. I hear the lens it comes with (the 18-105mm) is kinda crappy, so I might spring for a 16-55mm VR, we'll see how the 18-105 performs out of the box once it arrives.

Thanks again! I'll definitely be back here if I have any questions.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:48 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The 18-105 is actually quite decent for a longer focal range kit lens. I would not be so quick to upgrade, it is quite versatile and is fairly sharp. I would spend some time learning your camera and photography with that lens before you go and spend more.