Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:44 PM   #1

Default G12 vs P7000 vs LX5

Trying to decide between the three camera listed. The cost between the three is very similar. I shoot 70% indoor and 30% outdoor photos, mostly on my kids. Does anyone have experience on all three cameras? And what the high and low point among the three?
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:44 PM   #2

well they are the best low light point and shoots on the market. And will all shoot well indoors at 1600iso for a point and shoot.

The canon comes with a 5x zoom and a 77% tunnel optical viewfinder
The nikon comes with 7x zoom, and a tunnel optical viewfinder
The panasonic has a 3x zoom, and no viewfinder. But has the option to use the panasonic electronic viewfinder that is used that on the GF1 also.

So if zoom is you need, the nikon is a good option. The canon G12 is a proven platform with a strong G series. The panasonic is a pocket camera, so it is easiest to carry around.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:41 PM   #3

Having more zoom is always nice. Since this will be use for carry around and quick shot. How are the Auto mode compare among the three.

Also got one more that I forgot to add to the list. Olympus EPL1
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

I got a epl-1, and hands down are better then the 3 cameras your mention orginally. And it is only 30 dollars more.

The kit with the 14-45 is a 3.5x zoom, but I have a panasonic 45-200mm lens for it, and it gives me around 24x zoom.

All the camera have good auto modes with scene selection. So does the epl-1. They all have some sorta advance auto too. If you want to play around with the settings. But the epl gives full manual like a dslr, as it uses a dslr size sensors form the olympus dslr. It will have the best image quality of all the camera. DSLR level IQ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:12 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the EPL1 is in a different class. the sensor is many times larger, which will have huge benefits in image quality and in particular low-light image quality. you will have to change lenses though to get more focal length.

but considering you shoot 70% indoor, its a fair trade for the increased dim light image quality.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:09 PM   #6

I would like to reserrect this post, as I am also looking at the purchasing one of these 3 cameras. G12, P7000, EPL1. I have used the G11 and was very impressed. The G12 seems like the safe bet that I will likely be happy with.
I have always preferred Nikon, and the P7000 looks, on paper at least, to be an upgrade from the G12.
Still, as mentioned, the EPL1 is a different beast. Better sensor, better low light. But I have heard reviews that this camera has poor battery performance and is very slow to focus.
The purpose of this camera is to shoot my kids inside, travel camera, and general all purpose camera that can be passed around to a novice, and get good picts. I have a SLR for anything requiring something more specific.

So my questions are 1) Does anyone have hands on use of the G12 vs the P7000. Preference?
2) Is the EPL1 fast enough to shoot kids inside w/o a flash. Focus speed fast enough. I have heard that it is not. Battery life?

thanks in advance for your help.
jt1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7

Another question to add. Which is better in low light, the EPL1 with the larger sensor but the smaller aperture or the G12/P7000 with the smaller sensor and the larger aperture?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:02 PM   #8

epl-1 even with the smaller aperture of the kit lens. pns 1600iso is no match for m4/3 1600iso, the m4/3 is still cleaner.

The epl-1 will do a better job for the kids outdoors then either the p7000 or g12. But a dslr will do a even better job.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:46 PM   #9

Shoturtle- looks like you have the EPL-1 what about the focus speed. Is it good. I have heard that it is slow, which is concerning to me. thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:53 PM   #10

with the kit lens it is okay, but my panasonic lens focus faster. And the new 40-150 focus even faster.

It was slow when it first came out, but back in april olympus issued a firmware update that really sped things up. The kit lens is on par with the panasonic gf1 with the 14-45mm kit lens.

Here is an idea how fast the epl1 with the panasonic 20 1.7 AF.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9K9JQdNuJ0