Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:44 PM   #1

Default looking for a new camera

I am looking for a new camera. I currently have a canon S5IS that after only 2 years in auto mode the pictures come out to dark. it works fine in manual mode but I dont always have the time do all the adjustments trying to get a great shot.. I am looking to replace it, some of the things I want are a viewfinder as well as lcd screen, hotshoe, zoom and being able to zoom in and out while in video mode. I take a lot of pictures outdoors of scenery, wildlife and farm animals, as well as people inside and out and action shots of the grandkids in sports and horses running in the field. I love the dslr cameras but it is hard to carry the extra weight for extended periods of time for me. Canon offered me the loyalty exchange program for credit towards a refurbished camera but they do not have the one that would be the replacement for mine and I am not sure if I want to have another canon. right now I am back using my sony dsc V1 that is 8 years old and still takes great shots just lacking zoom at 4x optical... please help Thanks
randaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:48 PM   #2

nikon p7000 or the canon g12 if you want the best image quality for photos in the point and shoot segment. nikon 7x zoom, and 5x zoom. Longer zooms like a megazoom like the canon sx30, panasonic fz40 or fz100 will give you way more reach, but will not give you the image quality of the g12 or p7000. Especially in low light where you are shooting pass 800iso.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the info...We stopped at a camera store today and looked at the Canon D3100 DSLR and I was so surprised at how light it was compared to how they used to be. What are your thoughts on this camera or do you think there would be something better in the same price range for what I want to take pictures of? If we do go with this camera we would probably buy the longer zoom lens at the same time...still researching I am hopeing to not buy another camera so want something that will last
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:25 PM   #4

you mean the nikon d3100. The canon would be the t1i or t2i

I would go with the canon over the nikon d3100. You can shoot an AE bracket, very useful when you are in tricky lighting. The nikon d3100 does not have the feature.

The canon kit with the 18-55 and 55-250 is a very useful kit for general photography. And it has a bit better reach then the nikon with the 18-55 and 55-200 for general photography.

But there are better lenses. Canon's 70-300 IS USM about 450. And with the nikon the AF-s 70-300 VR around the same price.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:57 PM   #5

I will check them out the camera store no longer sells Canon products so did not look at them. Also what are you thoughts on the Sony
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:12 PM   #6

The sony are okay, their mid level are pretty good, but their entry level are not as good as canon and pentax. If you are interested in the sony, I would look at the a5xx series. The A3xx and A2xx are okay, but not at the same level as the canon.

sony A500, A550, A560 and A580.

But a more important question is what do you shoot. If you like to take action. The canon, pentax and nikon would be the better entry level to mid level brands to pick. Canon has the best af in the semi pro and down level for action shooting. The pentax are the best in low light.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:06 PM   #7

I shoot a lot of outdoor shots usually wildlife and farm animals I also take some indoors of family as well as action shots of the grandkids in sports and horses running in the fields. My husband is a little leary on buying a canon with my S5IS only lasting a little over 2 years. What is your opinion on how the cans dslr's last I dont want to have to buy another camera in another 2 or so years.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8

I have had my canon t1i for about 1.5 years. It has over 45000 photos taken on it. It did have to go to canon for repair, but sent it to canon and they repaired it and the turn around with less then a week. So my camera does see allot of uses. But my last canon which I still own has not had any problems form when I brought it back in 1996 and still work just fine. But with film I do not shoot as much,

So canon's are very reliable on their dslr's more so the their point and shoots. But I did wear out couple of point and shoots form olympus, nikon, and sony in about 2 years as well. My last pns was a olympus and it got retired with 3 years uses because it just did not photos as nice anymore with sensor crude built up.

Well the canon would be the best option for shooting you grand kids and horses running with sports, if you go with a bit higher end zoom, it does have the best Auto Focus system for action in the mid to entry level dslr's.

If HD video is not that important, and photos are. The t1i with the kit lens 18-55 and get the canon ef-70-300mm IS USM f4-5.6 and it will give you excellent outdoor action results. And for the indoor stuff, add the canon ef 50mm f1.8 lens and you will have a excellent indoor setup.

That said, adding a good flash will really improve on getting indoor grand kid shots if they are very active kids. Something like the canon 430 EXII, Metz 48, or Nissin Di622 are all good flashes for the canon.

Well here is what you can do with the ef 70-300mm lens when shooting action and fast moving animals.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...fe-refuge.html

I shoot a T1i personally along with a pentax k-x dslr also.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:18 PM   #9

Shoturtle... Thanks for the info I love the shots you gave the link for I am still trying to make up my mind on of the advantages of a canon is I can use the flash I bought for my S5IS.. I will have to look but think it is the 430 it is the middle one of the three they carried at the time I bought mine. I am not in a total rush as I do have my Sony V1 I can use as well as the cheap Kodak we picked up when I started having problems with my canon while we were on vacation I will continue to take and and all advice between now and when we do buy one...
Eyalg...thanks for your help as well I have been considering the move my S5IS when I had the flash and extra lens on there was bulky at times as well so it kind of gave me practice as to what I will be carring. if my canon had not messed up I would have stayed with it and not even considered the upgrade. I can not see spending 150.00 or more to send it to canon for repair nor do I want to use it only in manual or P mode to avoid dark pictures. ( if only taking pictures in full sun, no shade at all in Auto mode it is fine but let there be a little shade in one area, such as a tree on the side of the picture the rest in full light, and the whole picture will be to dark ) the SX30 does not have a hot shoe to use the external flash on.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:17 PM   #10

The 95 dollar 50 1.8 will give you really shallow dof. Or you can get allot of shallow dof with a long zoom lens like the samples I posted in the thread I links. It is all about knowing your equipment and knowing how to use it with dof. A point and shoot with a small sensor will not give you that much dof.