Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:20 PM   #1

Default Want to replace a Canon G10 with a Micro four thirds

I currently have a Canon G10 that I love, but most of my pictures are of people (single and in groups, typically full body shots) in bad lighting conditions so I am looking at micro four thirds cameras for their better low light. That being said, I do want an all around camera that I can take on vacations as well. Megapixel is not a concern as most of my photos are for web posting. I would like Image Stablization (preferably optical) and optical zoom is a must. Any suggestions?
WookieeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:32 PM   #2

Well you want low light shooting, that will leave you with either the panasonic GH2 or the olympus EPL1. Both have optical zoom, and the lenses are interchangeable.

The panasonic uses OIS and the EPL-1 uses IBIS. Most of the panasoinc lenses have OIS to stabilized the photos except for their pancake lenses like the 20 1.7 and the 14 2.5.

None of the olympus lenses have Image Stabilization. Olympus uses sensor shift for In Body Image Stabilization. And it works very well also like the panasoinc lenses. You can mount a panasonic none IS lens on the Oly have have it stabilized. Or you can mount a panasonic OIS lens on the Oly, and use the lens IS and turn of the body IS.

GH2 is about 1000 dollars with the 14-45 OIS, and even more with the 14-140HD OIS lens. But this is a great HD shooting camera.

The EPL-1 is currently around 500 dollars with the 14-42 lens. And I have the panasonic 45-200 OIS lens. And I use the OIS for HD and IBIS all the other times for stabilization. Sometime I use the OIS when shooting at 200mm but there is very little difference with OIS or IBIS.

The epl-1 is good to 2000iso, with some NR you can shoot at 2500 and the max of 3200iso.

The GH2 can shoot upto 12800iso, but I am not sure how high you really want to push it, should be atleast 3200iso.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks. Also, thank you for letting me know about the in body sensor shifting. I didn't realize they had gotten that yet. My "must be OIS" was actually a "must not be digital IS" more than it has to use the lenses. Pretty much anything that is designed to cut off part of the sensor that normally would be used is a no-no in my book. If I don't want that part of the picture I will crop it in post production, I don't want my camera making those decisions for me.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:22 PM   #4

Finally getting a chance budgetwise to revisit this. It looks like the scenery has changed in six months. My goal is to have something by mid-August so I'm curious what is out there or will be in the near future that would be good. I don't mind straying from the m4/3 (for example I know the Sony Nex3 and Nex5 aren't m4/3) but I don't want something much larger than the G10 I already have so full DSLR is right out.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:12 PM   #5

G'day WG

my missus has just upsized from a Panny FZ28 to a Panny G2 + their 14-140 lens
Package price about $1400

She's as happy as a pig in mud - or perhaps I shouldn't use that .... just say she's over the moon with it - its handling, lens versatility etc etc

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 6:59 PM   #6

the epl1 is such a great deal, and if you search this board, you'll find that it also has just about the best jpg quality of any camera, is good in low light, has good auto and full PASM. you could wait to see what's going to be coming, but it's not likely to beat the epla in price or iq. for the same money you'd pay for something newer, you could get the epl1 with the kit lens plus either the panasonic 45-200 or the amazing panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens to go with it. the epl1 and the 20mm would be how i'd roll for lower light portraits, etc. well, it would be if i didn't already have a m4/3 camera, the panasonic gf1
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 2:43 PM   #7

I'm actually seriously considering the EPL2. Does it make since to spend the money on the EPL2 over the EPL1?

The G2 looks interesting. How big is it?
Old May 11, 2011, 3:02 PM   #8

The pl2 has some nice feature, higher shutter speed. Cable release for the shutter. And the better kit lens. It is a little sharper, and focus faster.

The g2 is about 2x the size of the epl's. It does not shoot well pass 800iso, while the Olympus can do well upto 1600 to 2000 iso.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeGunner View Post
I'm actually seriously considering the EPL2. Does it make since to spend the money on the EPL2 over the EPL1?

The G2 looks interesting. How big is it?
In a word, Yes!

The EPL-2 offers:

a larger LCD display with an anti-reflective screen not found on the EPL-1. Easier to see when using in bright sun. If you never upgrade to the VF2 EFV option, the ability to see the screen in bright sun will be all the more important.

A control dial on the back of the camera that is much improved over the layout found on the EPL-1.

Revised layout of the rear control buttons as well as a different type of button. Frankly, I would buy this camera for the control dial and the buttons layout alone.

Sold with an improved 14-42mm lens which is quieter as well as faster to AF.

The build quality is definite step up from the EPL-1. Closer to the feel and style of the EP1 and EP2.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 2:09 AM   #10

This question is too complicated for me.
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote