Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:09 AM   #1

Default Who would offer the cheapest decent action lenses?

As i recently learn from you, with buying a dslr your are buying into a system. If i want to take action shots, which would provide the cheapest decent action lenses. I am not looking into pro- stuff as my budget won't allow it, and am a real beginner with no more experience as point and shoots, and almost certsinly won't ever become pro. Wish to take decent if not good quality shots of kids and amateur sports. If you could cite some examples of price ranges or lenses for different camera manufactures. This is one of the main reasons i still can't decide which camera to get.
Thank you a lot
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:29 AM   #2

Actually lenses is one thing you don't want to go cheap on. You can get away with a cheap dslr. You will not be able to get away with a cheap lens in image quality. And if you're not satisfied with the lens performance, you can always go with 3rd party lenses like tamron, sigma or tokina which are usually cheaper and sometimes better.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3

with any dslr brand the lowest price decent sport lens would be the sigma lenses. For indoor sports the sigma 70-200 or 50-150. For outdoors canon 70-200 f4L is a great one, and not to expensive. And if you need range and you can find it the sigma 100-300 f4.

So for sport shooting as a beginner, the canon system and lenses will be the better option without get crazy with pro glass.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:37 AM   #4
Super Moderator

What environments are you thinking and what sports as rarely there is a one lens fits all situation? I have 3 main lenses for my sports coverage so I can work indoors, night field sports and general outdoor shooting.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:48 AM   #5

Mostly it will be indoor, and outdoor almost zero night. Martial arts, school events, horseriding, and fast moving kids. Thank you lilac, shoturtle, mark
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

That's not good news (for you) as the low light is a pain. It will now depend on how close you are able to get. I would be looking at things like Canon or Nikons 85mm f1.8, Canon or Nikons 70-200mm f2.8 (Sigma's 70-200mm f2.8 is OK, just not as sharp, don't touch the Tamron) assuming you are getting close. The 85mm lenses need you to be within 25 feet, the 70-200 would allow up to 25 yards, however you need better light with the latter. You will always be working at high ISO, if you are going to use a lens with f2.8 then expect to use ISO 3200 or 6400 so you need a camera that can offer this.

Outdoor, daylight sports you can get away with the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6, this is I think about 150 USD, not totally sure, it's in that range.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:26 PM   #7

sigma 50-160 f2.8 is a sharp lens, work a look also. If you need faster the f2.8. The prime lens ef 85 f1.8 is a good option, or if you need a bit more reach the ef 100 f2. Canon might be the best system for what you need with the larger amount of fast prime lenses.