Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Suggestions regarding best Ultra Zoom camera

Hi all.

I was looking forward to buy a new Ultra Zoom digital camera, but was a little confused as to which one to go for by many reviews provided on the internet.
I am looking forward to learn something out of this camera so that I can step in for a dslr next. Plus the image quality on the highest zoom matters.

1. Nikon Coolpix P100
2. Nikon Coolpix P110
3. Canon Powershot SX30 IS
4. Pentax X90
5. Panasonic FZ-35/38
6. Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ100
7. Olympus - SP-800UZ
8. FujiFilm Finepix HS11

Waiting eagerly for the suggestions.
Thank You.
learner_always is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2

Default Nikon Coolpix P110?

I am inclined to Nikon Coolpix P110. I found only the following specifications regarding the camera on the internet.
http://www.reviewgist.com/specs/nikon-coolpix-p110
And it quite impressed me.

But the fact that it costs less than Nikon Coolpix P100 made me wonder too.

Is it a good buy?

Waiting for suggestions.
Thank You.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3

Well, if since those cameras do run at near $400, you may want to consider buying a dslr now. You can get refurbished ones for as little as $350. However, it will not provide you with all the features (like little zoom, no super macro) and may be harder to adjust. Still you may want to consider that.

Otherwise, you'll find that the fz35 will be most reccomended here. I also liked the canon sx20 (the one before sx30), so either of those are probably the best choices.

Remember to go to the store and handle them if possible though. I have found I have greatly disliked cameras that look good on paper, according to reviews etc. because of a bad lookong or slow screen, poor build quality, and other tuings that don't come up in reviews.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 1:44 PM   #4

I am still an amateur to be going for a DSLR, so would like to try point and shoot still.
I think I should go either for Nikon Coolpix P100 (as it offers more zoom (26X)) or Canon powershot SX30 rather than FZ38 and Canon SX20.

Both of them offer super zoom, canon SX30 offering optical zoom of 35X which makes me go for it more. Also the reviews of SX30 are not bad.

Which ones of the two (Nikon Coolpix P100 v/s Canon SX30 IS) should I prefer now?

Last edited by learner_always; Oct 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:03 PM   #5

Well, I wouldn't put a lot stock in how many times zoom it has beyond 25x. You really won't be able to tell much difference between 20x and 30x, IMO; it's handy, but not a dealbreaker. I.e the difference between 3x and 10x and to a lesser extent 10x and 20x is MUCH much more visible than the difference between 20x and 30x. Not to say 30x isn't nice, but would not buy a camera with 35x zoom if there was a 25x that had better quality.
Go to the store and try a long zoom camera and watch the x's go up. It'll take a while to get to 12x but then will jump pretty quickly to 30x or whatever.
But I would say that you can't go wrong with Canon, so if you think the x is still important (and it may be), then I'd go with the sx30. Plus it's a bit bigger so you'll get a feel for carrying a dslr around. If you can get it, I'd go for it; it's about as crammed wih features as you can get.

Otherwise, still consider the FZ 35. It is by far the highest reccomended superzoom on here, although others are obviously good too. I'm sure you will be happy regardless.

Oh, and the only ones I can reall comment on are the fz35 and the sx20-30, and some budget zooms like Fuji (which I don't reccomend). No idea about the nikon.

Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:10 PM   #6

Default Is Canon SX30 IS better?

The only hitch I found with Canon powershot SX30 IS were -
1. No boost ISO Help
Lacks boost light sensivity
2. No RAW support Help
Less editing fidelity
3. No high speed movie support Help
Not supported

But i was not able to understand are these cons a big deal? Please elaborate what can I miss because of these cons?
Also it has a CCD sensor v/s CMOS in Nikon P100. Is that a big deal too? and how does it matter what sensor the camera has?
Please suggest me one of these two digital cameras I should go for.

Thank You.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

If you want RAW and want good video. Have you looked into the Panasonic FZ-100. It captures RAW images, has a nice 24x zoom, and new firmware fixes some of the banding issues it had before. It also captures 1080p video with avchd lite and having a cmos sensor elimintates the light blooming that ccds can have when shooting video.

it is a much better camera than the nikon, in general the nikon point and shoots have been disappointing. the canon would be a better choice than the nikon, but if you want RAW and the best video, go for the Panasonic FZ100.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:32 PM   #8

Thanks for replying.
Video is not my priority. I would like to focus on images for now.
But what I feel is that if the camera doesn't provide RAW facility, is that a big issue, coz anyways editing can be done on the images later on using some tools.
Also does the camera(Canon SX30 IS) good for environment with low lighting?
Also is it worth the price?

Last edited by learner_always; Oct 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by learner_always View Post
Also does the camera(Canon SX30 IS) good for environment with low lighting?
While the CMOS cams should do marginally better in low lighting, none of these cams are good for low lighting. If you want that, aim for something with a larger sensor and a faster lens.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:40 PM   #10

Yes, that's where the s95 is better because with a smaller lens it can have more quality and be faster.