Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:44 PM   #1

Default Which pocket cam has the best video function

I was considering the Canon S95, Panny ZS7 and LX5. But the S95 doesn't have zoom in video mode. The ZS7, from what I heard doesn't do low light video very well. The LX5 produce good pic and video, but its not really pocket friend. Can someone recommend another?
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:48 PM   #2

Perhaps the Canon SD4000. Personally I don't think it's still pics are up to par with the competition but they are still pretty good and the brighter lens will help alleviate some of the low light problems.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:44 PM   #3

how about Nikon S8100.

While going through specs of various models, I noticed today that this is perhaps the only pocket camera that offers Full HD Video i.e. HD - 1080p (1920x1080)

I am just providing this as an input and would request experts to comment on this.

Doesn't it pose serious threat to Canon SX210is and Sony HD55 both of which are probably the best pocket-cam offerings from their respective manufacturers but both offer 720p HD Video recording.

Apart from 1080p HD, S8100 also has 12MP and 10X zoom to offer and is pretty compact.

senior members are requested to kindly share their views on it's performance.
brijeshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:35 PM   #4

Any time you're shopping for a camera with video function, you want to consider the frame rate (fps) it offers in addition to the resolution. For me, it needs to start at 60 fps or it will be disappointing. Do you happen to know what the frame rate is for that Nikon camera? The write-up on Amazon doesn't specify, I hate it when they make you dig!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:03 AM   #5

Hmmm...didn't know about the Nikon S8100. Looks interesting with 1080p. But I can't seem to find much of any reviews, except the user reviews on amazon.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijeshtr View Post
how about Nikon S8100.

While going through specs of various models, I noticed today that this is perhaps the only pocket camera that offers Full HD Video i.e. HD - 1080p (1920x1080)

I am just providing this as an input and would request experts to comment on this.

Doesn't it pose serious threat to Canon SX210is and Sony HD55 both of which are probably the best pocket-cam offerings from their respective manufacturers but both offer 720p HD Video recording.

Apart from 1080p HD, S8100 also has 12MP and 10X zoom to offer and is pretty compact.

senior members are requested to kindly share their views on it's performance.
The S8100 definitely looks promising but the P100 looked fantastic on paper as well and user reviews have been downright dismal. I'm not recommending against it. Actually I think it looks good. I just think it's too early to be certain, especially considering Nikon's poor P&S history the past few years. Also, the S8100 still has that tiny sensor and slow lens so I think the Panasonic LX5's and Canon SD4000's 720p will end up looking better in most scenarios since bright sunlight isn't available 24/7.

The Samsung TL350/WB2000 also does 1080p btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Any time you're shopping for a camera with video function, you want to consider the frame rate (fps) it offers in addition to the resolution. For me, it needs to start at 60 fps or it will be disappointing. Do you happen to know what the frame rate is for that Nikon camera? The write-up on Amazon doesn't specify, I hate it when they make you dig!
You are referring to 60i; 30p would do just as well. Which is preferred is up to individual tastes. Either way, you're still only getting 30 frames per second. With 60i, you're capturing two fields (odd then even scan lines) separated by either 1/60 which must then be de-interlaced for playback on a progressive display. With 30p, you're capturing a complete frame from the same instance in time.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:07 PM   #7

I got a chance to get my hands on a Nikon S8100 today. The only other camera I could compare against in the shop was the Panny ZS5.

The S8100 has really nice and sharpe screen at 900k, I believe. Color just pops at you. Feel like something made by Apple.

S8100's focus is fast, but not as fast as the ZS5.

During video taking, I notice the S8100 sometimes seem to go in and out of focus when zooming, and take a bit longer to get it back. The panny didn't seem to have that problem. In fact, I tried to fool the panny to go out of focus and it was able quickly get it back. I did the same test with the nikon, and it just completely lost it. So video performance was a bit disappointing. Perhaps it was the indoor lighting, the zoom or it wasn't setup correctly...

Build quality wise the Nikon is top notch. It has a rubber coating in the front and is very thin, or it feels like it. Overall, it feels like a much more expensive camera.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:54 PM   #8

No worries on build quality from Panny if that becomes a factor. I perched my ZS7 (on a mini tripod) on a 6 foot high rock pyramid on the hiking trail. it was a windy day and the wind took it. My ZS7 with lens extended tumbled all the way down the rocks and aside from some nicks to the body, not a thing wrong with it. The lens is fine, the camera is fine ... I was very impressed.

Funny you mention focus problems with the S8100 as the Nikon P100 users have reported that as one of the main reasons for returning their cameras.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:58 AM   #9

I second that, it's good build quality on the ZS7. Feels really solid, mine has definitely been tossed around a bit. It even "came back" after I left it soaking out in the rain for who knows how long. It was literally under water for days, probably. The picture is all splotchy and out-of-focus, but working otherwise. I've sent it in to see what they tell me.

If I had to do it over though, I'd prolly go for the FZ35 due to better optics. I have seen some really impressive pictures out of that camera.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:13 AM   #10

From what I saw on the ZS5, I am not worrying about the build quality at all. It feels it can take a tumble or two. Now, if you were to choice between the LX5 and ZS7 for video quality. Which would you pick?