Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:00 PM   #1

Default Please help! Lumix TZ8/10 vs. LX3/5 vs. Canon SX210 IS vs. S95

Hi, I am new to this forum and finding it really helpful but am still having trouble making a final decision on my purchase and would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I have narrowed my choices for a pocket camera (where I have aperture/shutter control) to:
* Panasonic Lumix TZ8 or TZ10 (my understanding is that the only advantages to the TZ10 are GPS and better video sound, neither of which are particularly important to me).
* Panasonic Lumix LX3 or LX5.
* Canon SX320 IS.
* Canon S95.

Image quality, decent zoom, good pictures in low light and compact size are the most important features to me and from what I've read none of the above cameras seem to have them all. Maybe I'm simply asking too much but if you have any comments/suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you in advance!
cam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:59 PM   #2

You're right - low light ability and a good zoom don't fit into a pocket camera as of yet.

I love my TZ10 but for low light I would remove that one and the Canon SX30 as well. The Panasonic LX5 and Canon S95 offer very similar performance and neither offers much zoom. The LX5 has a better lens and performs better in low light at the tele end of the zoom. However, the S95 is easily pocketable whereas the LX5 requires a coat pocket or as someone pointed out, a cargo pants pocket. When shooting in JPEG, some people also prefer the S95's handling of noise at higher ISOs and some people also prefer the color reproduction.

I've got an S95 and it's considerably smaller than even my ZS7 - easily pocketable. It's by no means perfect but the low light performance is great for a pocket cam and the IQ is very good. You can certainly go to ISO 800 and perhaps even ISO 1600 for 4x6 prints if you had to. I rarely need to go that high though as the 2.0 lens + the larger-than-average sensor are usually enough to get me a shot at ISO 400 or below. Finally, as a last resort, you have the flash which is quite powerful for a cam this size. It's rated for ~20 feet and I've actually found it useful for at least 50% beyond that.

Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:49 PM   #3

If video is a criteria.
ZS7 and LX5 both have video zoom and focus.
ZS7 has stereo mic,
LX5 has mono mic.
S95 has stereo mic, but No zoom in video.

S95 almost made it on my list, but lack of video zoom broke the deal for me.

Last edited by chumanji9; Oct 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM.
chumanji9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:49 PM   #4

Thanks so much, all. Time was getting tight - I leave for a holiday next week and want to take a compact rather than lugging my DSLR - so I had to make a decision and have gone for the S95. The lack of zoom remains a concern but I figure that as a prime time to use the compact will be on nights out, the performance in low light should prove more helpful.

FiveO, was that photo taken on the S95? Using HDR?
cam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:21 PM   #5

Nikon P7000 can also b considered since it has a large sensor 1/1.7", good for lowlight and 7.1x zoom, though nt v compact. Canon Sx130is(12x zoom) could b another option, a v recommended camera on this forum. S95 is a great option if zoom nt a major priority.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam123 View Post
FiveO, was that photo taken on the S95? Using HDR?
S95 yes, HDR no. I shot that in Program Auto or Aperture Priority (don't recall which).
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:40 PM   #7

What a beautiful German Shepherd,FiveO
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
What a beautiful German Shepherd,FiveO
Thank you.