Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:36 PM   #11

Just can't get past the AA batteries. So if I am back to the other best entry level dslr options which direction would you go. Am I correct in thinking that those options are the a500 t1i and the kr? Am I missing something?
djmurray324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:39 PM   #12

those are very good options. For photos they are excellent choices.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 30, 2010 at 1:26 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmurray324 View Post
Just can't get past the AA batteries. So if I am back to the other best entry level dslr options which direction would you go. Am I correct in thinking that those options are the a500 t1i and the kr? Am I missing something?
Those are all excellent choices for what you've said you want to shoot.

The Canon has the best selection of lenses and accessories. Between Sony and Pentax, Sony has a better selection of telephoto lenses, and Pentax has a better selection of fast primes. Sony and Pentax have sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body, which means that all lenses are stabilized, including 20+ year old lenses on the used market. Canon uses optical image stabilization in some lenses, which makes them bigger, heavier and more expensive. But image stabilization isn't necessary for all types of photography, but I think it's something you should consider.

Have you tried any of them?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:24 PM   #14

I have tried them but as a complete amateur they all seem pretty similar. I am sure that a I learn more I would have more of an opinion but with this being my first dslr purchase I don't know.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:25 PM   #15

I just got the pentax k-r yesterday. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Tomorrow, i have having the Sony a55 delivered to me (so i can test it out).. although, i am sticking with the pentax.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmurray324 View Post
I have tried them but as a complete amateur they all seem pretty similar. I am sure that a I learn more I would have more of an opinion but with this being my first dslr purchase I don't know.
For what you want to do, I'd get image stabilization, and I'd get it in the body. That would narrow it down to Pentax and Sony. For what you want to do, the difference between them is minimal. Pick the one that's cheapest.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:33 PM   #17

One thing I have been reading is that the A500 is a more advanced camera. Is this true? I don't want to be in over my head, but it is the cheapest of my options. I don't mind spending more for the right camera but also don't want to spend more than necessary.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:35 PM   #18

not really, it is about the same as the T1i or T2i or the K-r. It has a slightly higher burst rate, but does not offer mirror lock up. And it does not shot HD.

If HD is important the canon option is a better choice. Canon does give you more option for future lens growth. So it really comes down to which one feels better for you. And you really can not go wrong with any one of them.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:53 AM   #19

The batteries are cheap on ebay. You can buy 2 batteries for A55/A33 for $20 on ebay. Kx with recharable batteries is not that better than A55.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page13.asp

AA Lithium 1900 (no flash) 1100 (50% flash)
Ni-MH 1900mAh 640 (no flash) 420 (50% flash)
Alkaline 210 (no flash) 130 (50% flash)

Note that with recharable Ni-MH it's 420 photos

that's not that better than A55's 380 / 390 (with LCD) (50% flash)
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:33 PM   #20

I'd go with the A500. There are some very attractive deals out there right now (probably because it's about to be discontinued (if it hasn't already) and many retailers want to get rid of the old stock. Sure it's bigger/bulkier/heavier than the A33/A55 but I think it's a much better camera. The only thing is, it does not do video (if that's a must then the A500 is out of question).

I had the Kx for a short while and did not care for it, particularly the lack of focus light confirmation (although lots of people are OK with it). The Kr fixed this issue.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote