Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:51 PM   #1

Default what to buy??

Ok I have the Canon XSI, 17-85, 55-250, and 50mm lens. The 17-85 I just bought and it is heavier than I would like. I am going to buy myself a new camera, and let my husband take over the dslr. Now, what to do??? It seems there are 3 four thirds cameras, sony,oly and panasonic. Are there any major differences between these three? I am afraid I would miss a view finder. Also, how would just a Panasonic Z40 or 100 compare to these? I saw a Sony nex in Best Buy Friday, for $749. It came with 2 lens, one being a longer zoom, but can't remember exactly which lens it was. But I loved the size of the camera. I know yall have been over and over these things already, sorry if has already been answered!!
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2010, 2:07 AM   #2

the sony models aren't micro 4/3. panasonic and oly are - and they can share lenses. btw, there are m3/4 cameras that have built in viewfinders.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:27 AM   #3

Panasonic FZ35 or FZ40
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:23 AM   #4

Do you think the picture quality of the FZ35 or 40 will be as good as the micro 4/3 cameras? (or as good as my Canon xsi) That is what I am most concerned with, is picture quality. Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:24 AM   #6

Those are awesome , LTZ. Now what is a LC-55?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7

with the fz you will lose low light shooting ability. But you get a massive zoom. With very good day light images.

The nex and m4/3 has much larger sensors, so they will have higher image quality then the FZ, especially when the light level is less the ideal.

The sony nex has a great sensor, but the kit lenses are very soft. And currently there are only the 2 kit lens and the 18-200 for 800 dollars. The sony uses lens IS, so the prime 16mm 2.8 is not stabilized in the 2 lens kit. This camera will shoot at 3200iso, and can be push to 6400iso.

The panasonic G's are good m4/3 camera with okay evf's. But unless you are getting the GH2, they others are limited to 1250iso. Above that it does get noise. They also have lens base IS vs in camera is. So the primes do not get the added benefit when shooting in low light.

The olympus epl-1 does not come with a evf, but you can add it making the set up about the same as the sony with only the kit lens. But you can use the panasonic lenses that a really sharp, like the 20 1.7 and 45-200. And since it is ibis, you will have IS on all lenses. With the longer panasonic lenses, you have the option of using the lens or camera base IS. The is the second best low light m4/3 camera currently behind the new GH2, which is allot more expensive. The epl-1 is about 480 new, 230 for the evf, if you want the prime, the panny prime is about 330 dollare for the 20 1.7, and the zoom 45-200 is about 280 dollars.

The ep2 does come with the evf when you get either the 17 2.8 or the 14-42 3.5-5.6. It does not shoot as well in low light as the epl-1, like the panny 1250iso is about the top end.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8

The panasonic GF1 is the smallest panny G camera, and is bout 600 new with the 20 1.7 and about 150 for the evf. It is not as good as the olympus one. So if you want a small camera with excellent iq, the gf1 and olympus pen's are very smaller, and can add a evf. And the panny G2 is not that much bigger. Another smaller set up with a built in evf.

If you want to see different members sample of the olympus pen and panasonic G's check out the forums
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ur-thirds-104/

Here are some sample of the epl-1

First one is a canon T1i with the ef 70-300 and the epl-1 with teh 45-200 at the zoo
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ur-thirds-104/
Second canon T1i and epl-1 in low light
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ris-night.html
These are the epl-1 with different lenses
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...my-garden.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...t-germany.html
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbamos View Post
Those are awesome , LTZ. Now what is a LC-55?
The FZ35 is great up to ISO800...and has a good on board flash for indoor photos...the lightweight and size are a big plus...you will not mind taking it with you everywhere...the IQ is astounding...great video also...

The ease of use and not having to take 3-4 lens with you is great also...

The LC55 is a $60 Close Up Lens designed by Panasonic for the FZ series camera's they also have the LT55 Teleconversion Lens which mutiplies the zoom 1.7X...

A very nice Point & Shoot setup to compliment your DSLR Camera...it is made to have fun fun with...and get some very good IQ photos also...

I would try one out from Amazon or a reputable vendor that has a 30 day return policy and use it for a couple of weeks and see if it does indeed compliment your DSLR...you'll be pleasantly surprised as will your husband...lol..
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:06 PM   #10

Thanks Shoturtle and LTZ. I am thinking we will still rely on the xsi for indoor use and pics of granddaughter that I want to enlarge. But I do really want a smaller lighter camera for myself, still want good IQ but understand the limitations. The FZ alot less money, and since just bought the 17-85 lens for my xsi, may just try that one out. Although I really like the idea of a "small" dslr. Will give it some more thought. Thank you all so much.