Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:41 PM   #1

Default Which camera?!

I currently have a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 and am considering spending an unexpected (small) windfall on a new camera.

I'm split between two:
  • Fuji HS10 bridge/prosumer/zuperzoom
  • Nikon D5000
Can anyone help please? I would consider a different camera altogether if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
RockyOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:36 AM   #2

It would help if you could tell us what you are considering taking pictures of. Also, why you are considering those two cameras in particular.
  • i.e., family, landscapes, kids, etc. .....
  • Want a small camera to put in your pocket,
  • or want to only take pictures in low light,
  • want a camera with only one lens,
  • like telephoto, and hate wide angle,
  • or .....
... and what type of budget you have that you are considering putting towards a camera.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:04 PM   #3

I'll be taking mostly landscapes, but the odd portrait and family shots. I'm not bothered for it fitting in my pocket - my FZ50 certainly doesn't!

The only reason I'd prefer a single lens is for convenience, but I feel I've outgrown my FZ50 without buying conversion lenses for it, in which case I'd be happy to move to a DSLR.

I've a bugdet of around 600, and the only reason I've chosen these two cameras so far is that I have a friend with the Fuji, but some online research has led me away from that, and the D5000 looks favourable.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4

Hi Rocky,

Overall you have identified a bridge camera and an entry level dSLR. In many ways they are similar and in other way differ. The way in which they differ are...

Sensor size - The bridge camera has a much smaller sensor, and the pixels are much closer together, thereby creating a condition that may generate more noise in images at higher ISO speeds. Also, with a smaller sensor, you loose a lot of control in the depth of field (DoF). DoF is where you have something in sharp focus, with the background blurred, there by setting off the item in focus much better.

Obviously physical size and weight - The dSLR is physically larger and heavier.

Interchangeable lenses - On the dSLR you have the ability to change lenses. This does not have to be done, you can get pretty good all in one lenses - like a 18-250 that goes from wide angle to telephoto. That package (camera body and lens) will be larger and heavier than the bridge having the same span of lens focal lengths.

Expense - the dSLR is usually always much more expensive. However I believe that you can do either (bridge or dSLR) within your budget.

For landscapes, but the odd portrait and family shots - can easily be done by either type of camera.

So, I have to ask - If you feel you have outgrown your FZ50 without buying conversion lenses for it, then why consider the Fuji HS10 and any bridge camera? You already have a very fine bridge camera in the fz50. If you feel constrained by the fz50 then yes a dSLR would be a very good choice - if you do not mind the size and the learning curve (all though all the dslr's have a "fully auto" mode similar to a P&S).

If you want the convenience of a single lens (at least initially - in that you feel a bit constrained by the single lens of the fz50) then I would consider the 18-250 all in one lens for each of the camera models.

For what you are looking to shoot - any of the dSLR models will work very well. Consider...
  • Canon T1i or T2i
  • Nikon d3000 or d5000 -
  • Pentax Kx or Kr -
I would go find a camera shop and hold each one. I would also take a SD card and take pictures with each one (the exif data would id each of the images). See what you like best based on how it works for you, its placement of controls, menus to operate, weight and size.....

Grade each one - personal preference counts for a lot, since you are the user. Keep some notes as to your likes and dislikes. They are all quality cameras.

There are other brands and models that would certainly work as well, but start out with these and see how it goes. Sorta of a home work assignment....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:36 PM   #5

And Nikon D3100.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

if you feel like you have outgrown your fz50, then i would not go to another bridge camera.

i would look into the DSLR's the previous 2 posters have mentioned. t1i, d3100, kx. i would go with the kit lens and then add one of their teles.

the canon t1i with the kit lens and the 55-250 IS would be a good choice. the kx with kit lens and the 55-300 (not the 55-200) would be a good choice. and the 3100 with kit lens and 55-200VR.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:34 PM   #7

Thanks guys for your help. I've a few days off work coming up - can feel a trip to the local camera shops coming on!