Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Best AF system for under $1000

Hi, and sorry for another action post.. but i am having a very hard time making a choice. And playing with the cameras at a store is not an option for me right now. As you might now i am new to photography, but one of the things i am mosto interested in shooting are my kids events (tennis, outdoor horse ridding, some indoor dances, school events, etc.) although it also interests me landscapes, and nature. Some people have already made some very good suggestions, but i thought i should ask, which would you buy for action under round a $1000?
I tend to keep things for a very long time so, and where i live ( Mexico) we do n't have the option of returning things (like trying them out just if they are deffectiv) so i don't want to spend $$ to find out that it is not what i needed.. I would prefer to up the budget a little, than buy something that is not what i needed. Also ease of use...
What i guess i need to find is the most user friendly, low priced capable of action shooting camera. Does that make sense?
Thank you again for your help and patience
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:55 PM   #2

The problem is - for action photography, the camera is only part of the equation. The lens, it's brightness (wide aperture) and it's focus motor also contribute to success. People like Mark1616 and myself who shoot sports keep telling you this. Without the proper lens(es), the body won't make much difference. Now, you're going to get opinions from people that their camera system offers the best camera - and truth is, there are some very nice cameras. But without the right lenses, it really doesn't matter. The answers haven't changed since your other posts.
Quote:
so i don't want to spend $$ to find out that it is not what i needed..
If you keep ignoring the people that shoot action and listen to just the people that tell you what you want to hear, that's where you're going to end up. Especially with the indoor action.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:07 PM   #3

Yes that I understand but i guessed there were top action lenses, decent action lenses and lenses that are just not good for action. And I guess i still don't know if fps have anything to do. And as i said i don't plan on becomming a pro sport shooter just don't want to end up with something with the performace of my current p&s that can't even capture someone blowing the candle on a cake. And i can always buy betterr lenses latter right?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:44 PM   #4

The lowest priced kit I can thing of that would be good for what you want to do would be the Canon T1i and the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM II, which together, will cost about $1,400.

JohnG?

Last edited by TCav; Nov 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5

it certainly sounds like the sigma 70-200 f2.8 needs to be part of your arsenal. That will run you at least $800. You could possibly get the sigma 50-150 f2.8, but that's only $150 cheaper.

So... this will leave you between $200-$350 for a camera body, and that just won't happen. Also, that leaves you with no room for anything else. You wont have much versatility with a 70-200 as your only lens. :\

John and Mark are the ones you really need to take advice from considering your budget and sports photography needs. Because I think your $1000 limit isnt too realistic. Sports photography seems to be one of the most expensive types of photography.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:25 PM   #6

Thank you,tcav,John, ewheeler but, i probably should have expressed my selfservice better. I was planning on spending 1000 for a body and a kit lens so i could start taking some pictures right away and then in a couple of months buying another better lens.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:27 PM   #7

canon 60D
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
canon 60D
Canon T1i, and set aside the difference for a better lens later.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:48 AM   #9

1000 for the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Thank you,tcav,John, ewheeler but, i probably should have expressed my selfservice better. I was planning on spending 1000 for a body and a kit lens so i could start taking some pictures right away and then in a couple of months buying another better lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Canon T1i, and set aside the difference for a better lens later.