Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:49 PM   #11

@john. I do not need umbrellas and studio kit. So remove them from list and then please suggest
eshban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshban View Post
@john. I do not need umbrellas and studio kit. So remove them from list and then please suggest
If you want good responses, you need to provide additional information. Do you already have all the studio equipment? If not, what exactly do you mean by "fashion photography"? Do you mean run-way shows only?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshban View Post
I do not need umbrellas and studio kit. ...
Do you already have a well lit studio? ... or will you be shooting in a venue in which you have no control of the lighting?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:11 PM   #14

Currently I do not have studio setup but it is in my future plan.

Currently I just need a good camera and lens which allows me to do indoor photoshoots and well as outdoor fashion shoots.

After the time of 4-6 months i will buy studio kit etc , but i dont want to change my camera and lens at that time. So i want to buy perfect camera and lens which also works well in my future studio setup
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:16 PM   #15

well if you dont need the studio kit the probably dont need the light meter either so that saves about $1000 so

switch the 15-85 for a 17-55 and then see how good a short telephoto lens you can get for the money left - then again if shooting runway shots might be better off with a fast f2.8 70-200mm but that is pricy option
ok then if you shooting indoors but with availble light you deffinately want as large and aperture as you can get so the 17-55mm is the best option - but without spending alot more than your budget other lens choices dont make alot of sence - personally if i was trying to get started in fashion shooting i would get the studio kit will give you far more options and the bowens kit i am pretty sure is compatible with the travelpak so it can be used outside on location too if you need - then down the line rather than adding the strobes you can get the lens that will most suit the your style which by then you should have a good idea of
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Nov 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:31 PM   #16

ok i wil go for 17-55 but what about camera body?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:25 AM   #17

for your budget the 60d is probably the best bet unless you want less of a budget for lenses but if your investing in camera equipment i think most people will agree that you should get good lenses first - camera bodies come and go - lenses are forever

you could get the 7d and still have enough for the 50mm prime and then 17-55mm if you dont get the the studio strobe kit - but you might find occasions when you want a little more reach from your lenses - thats a descision you'll have to make - crtainly the 7d is a higher specced machine but not sure how relevant those improvements are for fashion shooting - sure someone with more knowledge of teh canon line up could help more than me there
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:33 AM   #18

for fashion, you want max detail. Go with a FF camera. Something like the canon 5dMK2 with the 24-105mm F4L for about 3200 dollars. Or the sony A850 with the 28-75 2.8 for 2700 dollars.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:13 AM   #19

thanks for all these comments. Now i have finalized two lenses

1) Canon 24-70L 2.8
2) Canon 17-55 IS USM 2.8

And i will go for Canon 7D.

Now I have 2 question

1) is "Is it a big deal that the 24-70mm doesn't have IS on it" ?
2) Which is best lens for indoor/studio/outdoor photoshoots?

thanks
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:10 PM   #20

i wouldn't bother with the 24-70mm is jsut the full frame equivalent of the 17-55mm and since your shooting the 7d not alot of point specially when you have such a large overlap of focal range - better to get a fast prime for isolating subject from the background with the large aperture and some short telephoto lens probally in the 50-200 range or there abouts

as for which lens is best that all depends on the shot you want to take in the given circumstance - hell have seen the odd fashion shot with a wide angle lens ( not recomended for most of the time though )

afew considerations on the 7d though - the image quality will be no better on it than the 60d - they use the same chip the reason the 7d is a higher speced more expensive camera is because you get more autofocus points and better object tracking - for fashion i really really doubt you will need that its ment for sports and action photography and the odd bit of wildlife - the other advantage is the continous shooting rate - again not really relevant for fashion shooting - i would seriously look at your reasons for getting the 7d and ask if they are relevant for what you want to shoot as you could well jsut be wasting money that could be better spent on lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery