Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:31 AM   #1

Default Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

Hi,

I need to ask that for fashion photography can i need a Full frame camera body or a Cropped camera body?

Secondly I have a budget of USD3000 for both body and lens, so what will be the optimal camera body for me according to my needs mentioned above.

waiting for your comments

thanks
eshban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:17 AM   #2

most probably use full frame or even medium format - but some use cropped too so probably doesn't matter that much since fashion your probably never going to shoot at more than iso 100 and cropped cameras have plenty of resolution these days

with a limited budget you would probably be better off with a cropped sensor and getting some pro grade lenses - other thing is flash system - fashion shoots more likely to require a studio flash system fortunately kits can be had offen for little more than a on camera external flash unit

look up benjikan's thread it should give you the basic round up of what you'll need
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...tographer.html
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:20 AM   #3

You need to read the following thread by benjikan

... I would also suggest clicking on his name above (that will take you to his members page) and then on the "statistics" tab so you can read Ben's other posts. I don't know that you could ever find a better set of information anywhere else (other than his websites). Well - he also posts on the Pentax Forums too....

In his previous posts, he has indicated various cameras and lenses that he uses. He has also been very generous with lighting techniques and setups. He has also posted some videos of various shoots that he has done. He has posted a wealth of information on the topic....

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:11 AM   #4

thanks for this info. i understand that how to choose. From camera body I have following options so please help me so that I can finally buy the camera body for fashion shoots

1) Canon 7d
2) Canon 60d
3) Canon 550D/T2i

Waiting for comments
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshban View Post
... From camera body I have following options so please help me so that I can finally buy the camera body for fashion shoots

1) Canon 7d
2) Canon 60d
3) Canon 550D/T2i
The very basic specs for those camera bodies are similar. The difference is in the minutiae. But the biggest difference for you would be how the camera feels. Have you tried any of these cameras?

BTW, my choice for lens would be the Canon 15-85 IS USM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:05 AM   #6

@Tcav: I did not try any of these camera bodies. Currently I am using Sony DSC H50, thats why i need to ask that which is best according to my profession.

About lens, is not Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM is better than yours?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:17 AM   #7

Quote:
... I did not try any of these camera bodies. Currently I am using Sony DSC H50, thats why i need to ask that which is best according to my profession.
Then I suggest you go to a good camera store and try them on. If you can't comfortably hold the camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots, and be dissatisfied with the camera.

Quote:
About lens, is not Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM is better than yours?
The Canon 17-55/2.8 is also an excellent lens, but for what you want to do, the constant f/2.8 maximum aperture isn't very important, and the 15-85's longer focal length will probably come in handy.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:37 AM   #8

Well I live in pakistan. It is not possible to check camera bodies. If I open the box then It means that I buy it. I know whatever i purchase, after passage of time I will learn it and my hands will be comfortable on them

If you are on my place, how will you spend USD3000 to buy
1) Body
2) Lens
3) Flash

Waiting for reply
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:52 AM   #9

For just fashion photography, I would think that a Canon 60D with a 15-85 IS USM would be a good start. If you'll be shooting in a studio, I wouldn't bother with a flash, and I'd get some good studio lights.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:30 AM   #10

hmm $3000 assuming canon is the only option

Canon 60d $999
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM $342
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - $716
Bowens Gemini 400/400 Umbrella Studio Kit - $799
Sekonic L-308s Light Meter - $209

total = $3065 from amazon.com
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote