Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:54 PM   #11

If I may humbly add, don't forget looking at a D90. It can be had for a clearance sale rock bottom price now that the D7000 is out and is quite an upgrade over the D40. Best bang for the buck and it will be familiar to you since you're used to the Nikon. Also you could save your money for better lenses since lenses are always the more important part of the camera.

A Tamron 28-75 F2.8 fixed aperture lens should be perfect for your needs.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:36 AM   #12

Hi the d7000 is still expensive but I m sure it will drop soon, the D90 is good value but there are good deals on the canons to. Go to a shop and do the touchy feely thing it may help in your make your mind up.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:30 PM   #13

The d7000 is to new for it to drop, it is out for the holiday season just in time. It will remain over the budget for a long while. Especially with the lens.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsource View Post
I currently have a Nikon D40 and I think I'm ready to take it to the next step and get a better Camera and Lens. I would like to stick with Canon or Nikon. My Budget is around $1000 not including the extra lens I would like to buy. So Far I had the Canon Rebel T2i in mind along with the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens.

What do you guys think? I def need an upgrade!

Would you recommend anything better??

It will mostly be for all around type pictures and lots of portraits of my newborn.
I would ask why the 85/f1.8? Is it the specific focal length or aperture or application - portraits? If its just generally a fast mild telephoto lens for say portraits, etc and not a specific need for 85mm, or is it a need / desire for more than 50 and less than 100?

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:19 AM   #15

I would keep an eye on prices I know when I got my 550d/T2i it had only been out a couple of months then it was discounted, sign of the times.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I would ask why the 85/f1.8? Is it the specific focal length or aperture or application - portraits? If its just generally a fast mild telephoto lens for say portraits, etc and not a specific need for 85mm, or is it a need / desire for more than 50 and less than 100?

Exactly what i thought. I have a 85mm. f1.8 and it's a very specialized lens. Most of the time i use the 15-85mm. lens which gives superb pics.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:45 PM   #17

The d7000 is a semi pro camera, not an mid/entry level camera. They do not drop as quickly.