Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:54 PM   #11

tough choices here. I have weeks to decide, as I mistakenly purchased the E-620 from an Amazon "marketplace" seller, it's looking like it could get sketchy and drawn out. (OT: They didn't disclose (prior to purchase) the part of their return policy stating that items have to be received within seven days of RMA being issued, or else a restocking fee is charged. I'm irritated that I'll be losing money on express shipping or 10% restocking. Complaining to Amazon!)
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:59 PM   #12

the marketplace is tricky.

The e620 is a good camera, but low light is not what it is good at. Shooting outdoors the camera gives allot of reach with the 2x crop factor. But it hurts the camera a little when having to shoot abover 1600iso. But with the aps-c camera 3200 iso is pretty clean. And match with a big aperture lens, it will improve the low light ability without a flash.

But if you are shooting kids running around indoors. Even an aps-c camera with a big aperture lens at 3200iso or 6400iso which the canon and pentax can shoot at will not be as good as getting a external flash and shooting at 1600iso. Learning how to shoot a flash will give you much better results.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:05 AM   #13

The XS that sandeepsaman shoot only goes to up 1600 iso, but get the nice results with a big aperture lens and a flash.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:09 AM   #14

check out post 12 on this thread, very good info on shooting kids indoors.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...st-dsrl-2.html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:27 AM   #15

Evening,

Here is a bit of information on the Pentax lenses you Mom has. It looks like they are the 105mm f2.8 and the 28mm f3.5. I am assuming that they are what is called a K mount and not the M42 screw in lens, some what difficult to tell by your description. The Super Tak were mainly M42 screw mount lenses, but could also be the newer K mount.

Just for fun, it might be helpful to read some of the user opinions on the lenses from the links below.

SMC Pentax 105mm f 2.8 is rated over at the Pentax Forums as a 9/10 a very nice manual focus lens - worth say $200 to $250 (a small sample) if a K mount (first link) and about $90 if a M42 mount (second link).
SMC Pentax 28mm f 3.2 is rated as a 8.8/10 and worth about $50-$90
Overall you have some very good lenses, even though they might just be manual lenses. They will work very well on a Kx camera body. Also, as you focus them, the camera will tell you in the viewfinder and with a beep when it thinks you have achieved focus. That is somewhat of a hidden bonus.

If they are a M42 screw mount, you would need a $30 M42/K mount adapter available from Pentax in order to mount them on any of the newer Pentax bodies (i.e., since 1975).

Since Pentax has in body stabilization, these "old" manual lenses will also be stabilized.

Be aware that over on the Pentax Forums they have a Marketplace and these lenses would be snapped up pretty quickly by users lurking for lenses just like these...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:30 AM   #16

Noting the almost-free-or-better lens promotion with purchase of T1i http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi...cmu_pg__header

face/palm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:39 AM   #17

I shoot the t1i and it is a excellent dslr. And very good in low light. Go with the 55-250 lens over the 75-300. The 75-300 is a very poor lens.

I have the 18-55 and the 55-250, and that is my travel kit. I do have the better 70-300mm and the 28-135mm which is my usual setup which is better and fast to focus. But the 2 kit lenses preform quite well and are very sharp, and I had these lenses before I got the t1i with the 2 kit lens. And I still brought them because they are light and more compact for running around.

But with this kit, you will still want a good external flash to get good indoor shots of running kids. You will want to invest in something like the nissin di622, metz 48, or the canon 430exII to get the nice indoor shoots.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:51 AM   #18

If you do not want to play restocking and loss the express mail cost. You can add the 50mm f2 and a fl36 flash to the e620 and it will give you very good results indoors of kids running around. Learning to shoot a flash it really what you need for that type of photography.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:52 AM   #19

@interested_observer, I believe they would be the M42 type, they are quite old. They were used on a Pentax Spotmatic from the late 60's or 1970ish. I'm interested in using them if I can, but I'd be keeping them as family heirlooms if not. (I have the camera as well, it would still be usable if someone wanted to try shooting film.)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:55 AM   #20
Super Moderator

i think before you completely give up, you should look into getting and learning to use a nice external flash.

even if you get an aps-c and get somewhat better high iso performance, you still need fast enough shutter speeds to stop action if your kids are moving around quickly. and that will be very difficult to do in a dimly lit house, plus you have uneven lighting with weird temperatures, not enough depth of field, etc etc, and require big aperture lenses that are not cheap if you want them to focus fast.

however if you learn to use and external flash, and bounce it with a nice diffuser, you will get much more consistent results, and will be easier to get keeper shots than trying to master low light no flash photograph.