Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:59 AM   #21

@Shoturtle.. another thing I didn't mention was being frustrated at the menu interface on the Oly. I have a Canon p&s that I use so I think I'd be more comfortable with theirs. Just hoping I can get my funds back in time to close in on that lens deal. With the $100 50mm, I'd have three lenses for around $800. Sounds nice!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:01 AM   #22

one more thing to add, shooting in low light with no flash, you can only get good results on static shots. Shots with very little to no movement. If you have motion. You get allot of motion blur even with a big aperture and very high iso.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:02 AM   #23

I definitely will plan on getting an external flash. I'm recognizing that the best portraits will often have "planned" lighting vs. available... the Oly was most frustrating to me because it won't take the pic if it doesn't like your light!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:03 AM   #24

If the menu is a problem, then changing systems makes sense. But you still will not get great results without a decent flash. I would seriously look at the 3 flashes I mention. They are all good, the nissin is the lowest cost one, the metz is the most powerful, and the canon is a canon. All 3 will work well if you invest the time in learning flash photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
@Shoturtle.. another thing I didn't mention was being frustrated at the menu interface on the Oly. I have a Canon p&s that I use so I think I'd be more comfortable with theirs. Just hoping I can get my funds back in time to close in on that lens deal. With the $100 50mm, I'd have three lenses for around $800. Sounds nice!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:06 AM   #25

If you see a blinking green dot in low light in the viewfinder with the oly. That means it can not get a focus point in low light, and will not take the photo. The canon does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
I definitely will plan on getting an external flash. I'm recognizing that the best portraits will often have "planned" lighting vs. available... the Oly was most frustrating to me because it won't take the pic if it doesn't like your light!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:23 AM   #26

the nice then with an external flash in low light, when the is normally not enough light to get a focus lock, and you do not want to flash still. You can disable the flash. But the camera will use the flash's IR light to aid in getting a focus. A big help at times.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:42 AM   #27

It is really great to know all this, thanks for telling me! I will def. get an external flash after I secure some gear. The Canon would be a solid option. I should really get an idea of a Pentax set-up too, it would be nice to use my manual lenses with a stabilized body.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:54 AM   #28

p.s. @ interested_observer,

wow! just finished perusing the links you provided (sorry, a bit backlogged over here!) and I was surprised to see some of the wonderful images from those lenses, very pleasing commentary as well. I think it would be a little silly not to make use of these! (they're in nearly perfect condition too, I don't think my ma did much shooting.) Thanks for sharing all of that with me. It's reallly tempting to get a Pentax now, if I go with a K-x vs. K-r then I can afford some goodies right off the bat, hmmm..
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:46 PM   #29

urgh, might actually have to go with the k-r. I'm sure the differences between k-x and k-r have been discussed ad infinitum here, but I'm just finding out. Has anyone tried both and came out with a definite preference?

My thinking is that being able to afford a flash unit immediately (via buying k-x) would be more valuable than the performance and other feature upgrades available on the K-r.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:38 PM   #30

If your lenses are m42 you can go with either brands.