Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:13 PM   #31

will only get them stablised with pentax and sony though - on canon and nikon bodies they wont be
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:17 PM   #32

I would not base the system on legacy lenses. They are nice to play with every now and then. And for some the MF gets old quickly. But it is more important to base your system on modern native lenses. Finding out what you want to shoot, and where you want to progress. And look for the system that gives you growth toward what you want.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
p.s. @ interested_observer,

wow! just finished perusing the links you provided (sorry, a bit backlogged over here!) and I was surprised to see some of the wonderful images from those lenses, very pleasing commentary as well. I think it would be a little silly not to make use of these! (they're in nearly perfect condition too, I don't think my ma did much shooting.) Thanks for sharing all of that with me. It's reallly tempting to get a Pentax now, if I go with a K-x vs. K-r then I can afford some goodies right off the bat, hmmm..
Evening Rock,

Glad you found the lens links helpful. At first I was not going to post - and especially the prices. In the past I have come across a number of items - especially on Craigslist where folks have put a high dollar amount on their old film bodies, and $10 - $20 on the lenses, thinking that the lenses are throwaways with little or no value. Just the reverse is true.

Overall, and after your Olympus experience you may disagree, but its pretty hard to find a bad digital camera. They are all good, and various models excel in some situations while others do better in others.

Both the Kx and the Kr (a newer refinement of the Kx) along with the T2i are all wonderful cameras. Obviously I understand the Pentax line better than Canon. Shortutle primary using the T2i but also the Kx has the luxury of using both. There is no perfect camera for all situations - in the end it comes down a lot of personal preference.

Approaching the lenses first is an intelligent way to sort through all the choices. It certainly is an approach not enough folks take in terms of their selection process.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:43 AM   #34

Lets look at lenses first. You want a good lens for portraits. So either the 50mm 1.4 form pentax and canon will be very good options. Pentax you get IS, Canon you get a faster focusing lens. Now if you want to save a bit, the ef 50mm 1.8 is a good option especially for the price, no pentax option in this price range. A flash will answer the indoor actions shots with the kids with either system.

And after that, what else do you want to shoot? Zoom's, macro, wide angle or action shooting? These will help figure out the type of lens to add to your system. And depending on the shooting you are doing, certain brands might have better options.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:01 AM   #35

I don't consider myself an action shooter, but I hate missing shots so I need a camera that can keep up! Customer images on Amazon from T2i users are making my heart thud "deeply", but the T1i are also pretty nice. I could get a good three lens starter set with T1i, but only the kit and no extras with T2i. I'm not really having a strong reaction to image samples from either Pentax model, but I haven't seen too many yet so I'll keep looking. I know I should be looking at Sony also...

as for shooting subject matter --aside from portraits of children and family pets, I like doing "artful" shots of nature... sometimes I have this fixation on cloud shapes that I cannot shake so I end up taking pictures of them. I also photograph trees sometimes in attempts to illustrate why they are frightening to me. ;D I'll also be doing macro stills of abstract oil paintings I've worked on, it often seems like (very) small sections of the paintings are better than the whole, so I'm exploring the possibility of turning small areas into larger prints.

Thanks for all the help thus far, you guys are saints for putting all this time into advising newbs!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:10 AM   #36

Take a look at this....
Generally, its better to go with a lesser body and place the money in the lenses. Bodies tend to have a much shorter life than lenses.

You said you were looking for some Pentax images - here is a link to a set just using the Pentax 18-55 kit lens.
For the greatest part, they were taken with bodies that are older and lesser than the Kx/Kr (6MP up ~12MP, etc. - 2008 to present).

Also, I stumbled across this multi camera comparison. Note - keep scrolling down for more comparisons.....
I might toss this in that has been a general comment for JPG comparisons across make and models. Canon generally over processes in camera JPGs. Pentax under processes JPG in camera (factory setup). There are a number of control settings in Pentax (any of the bodies - that can adjust UP the processing to pretty much meet Canon's factory settings). That said, additional processing generally is at the expense of fine detail.

The other strong difference is that Canon has a better refined - and faster autofocus system than Pentax and that directly translates into action oriented photography.

Shortutle had a series of postings a while back between the T1i and Kx that addresses a number of items ISO, color, handling of light, etc., that may be valuable.

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:46 PM   #37

That Snapsort link is quite useful. I could easily spend a few days on the pentaxforums site. I'm thinking if I want to start with an external flash right away, which it sounds like I'll need to, then I'm probably going to be restricted to the K-x. The other options (K-r kit, T1i kit with two added lenses) are *completely* tempting though. Whew, thank goodness I have a few days to think about all this.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:57 PM   #38

I shoot the T1i and the K-x. The canon price wise with everything is actually the better buy. Nissin di622 160 dollars, 50 1.8 95 dollars, and the 2 kit lens with the 18-55 and 55-250 will cover you other needs.

Pentax, a pentax or metz flash is over 200 dollars. I would avoid sigma flashes, and they have burn friends in the past with compatibility issues. I like the FA 50 1.4 but it is 360 dollar like the canon ef 50 1.4, so it does add a bit more cost to the system.

Macro for a low cost price, if you go with the 2 lens kit, add the canon 500D close up lens, 58mm. And it does a nice job, and lets you learn more about shooting macro. It can be used on both the pentax k-x 2 and canon 2 lens kit. With the pentax DAL 55-300 or the canon ef-s 55-250. Here is what you can expect with either lens and the 500D conversion lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...00d-macro.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...e-up-lens.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 3, 2010 at 6:05 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Gorgeous! You do nice work. Thanks for the suggestions (@ Shoturtle too) --I am so newbishly uninformed!
the canon t1i, and T2i are very good low light camera and so is the pentax k-x. If you do not need HD video that much, I would look at the pentax k-x or the canon T1i. The T2i is a better HD camera with more bells and whistle for HD video with external mic options. And higher frame rate for 1080p.

But having both the canon ef 50mm 1.8 and the ef 50mm 1.4, the 360 lens is better. But the 50 1.8 is a good starting out lens. And does a very nice job for a 95 dollar lens. The pentax FA 50 1.4 is a equal to the canon 50 1.4 and the sony 50 1.4 you linked. That is why they are all about the same price at 360 dollars.

Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:06 PM   #40

i wouldn't get to caught up in flash - its useful yeah but its not needed all the time jsut because your indoors and unless you really know what your doing flash can easily ruin a good image
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote