Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:12 PM   #41

indoor kids action shots, a flash is needed for better results. So it is a good tool to add to the kit. High iso and big aperture only goes so far. I have allot of 1.8 or better lens, and shoot at 6400iso at times because I can not use a flash. But it is no where close to what a flash at 1600iso can do.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:33 PM   #42

K-x is looking really good.. I could have the flash and two lens kit right away, and be able to play with my older lenses, too. Hoping to find an OEM M42 adapter... they seem to be nowhere though.

And omigosh. Amazon just added T2i to the lens promotion! I'd have to put off getting the flash for a month or two. It appears each camera really does have its own strong points, though I'm not sure at my level that I'd recognize a deficiency. http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...-vs-Pentax_K-x I'm curious how strongly the video quality rates among users, it's an area that does start to get a little tempting for me.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:38 PM   #43

yup, each has it strengths. For action canon is better, in low light the pentax is better in noise control. But the k-r is almost as good as the canon for action. So if you are going after kids running around, the canon is a bit better for what you need, as the AF system will work better in low light.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
K-x is looking really good.. I could have the flash and two lens kit right away, and be able to play with my older lenses, too. Hoping to find an OEM M42 adapter... they seem to be nowhere though.

And omigosh. Amazon just added T2i to the lens promotion! I'd have to put off getting the flash for a month or two. It appears each camera really does have its own strong points, though I'm not sure at my level that I'd recognize a deficiency. http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...-vs-Pentax_K-x I'm curious how strongly the video quality rates among users, it's an area that does start to get a little tempting for me.
Hi Rock,

Here is some information on the M42 to K adapter for Pentax. Here is where you can by the genuine Pentax adapter from Pentax.
There are third party adapters for less, however their dimensions vary such that the lens may not be mounted at the correct registration distance to the sensor, resulting in the inability to focus properly at infinity. With the Pentax adapter, all the measurements are correct and its easy to use. Here is some excellent information on the topic, if you want more.
Also, in order to use your M42 or other manual lens on any of the Pentax dSLRs, there is a menu setting you need to enable (just once), so that the camera will understand how to control/communicate with the lens. It is really simple. Fully explained here.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:50 PM   #45

Wow. Very cool. This is a lot of help.

So what I'm getting is that K-r can focus almost as fast as T2i, but will have better I.Q. in low light. Suddenly I feel I must have the two lens kit.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:04 PM   #46

The k-r is close, but still behind the T2i in AF, the k-r is just a little ahead of the t2i in noise. But the T2i will retain more detail with the tad bit more noise. So there is a bit more to the high iso, as pentax do clip details to keep the noise under control.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:09 PM   #47

also the canon jpeg engine is better then the pentax. oly is the best on the market follow by canon then pentax and nikon.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:33 PM   #48

Heh. Suddenly I'm not much closer to deciding again. Mb I'll just have to take one of them for a test run. By the way, here's the one good shot I managed to get out of the Oly I tried. It was right at dusk, I really had to fight with the camera to get it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:38 PM   #49

ev down the flash, it will lessen the flash wash, about -2/3
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:11 AM   #50

Yes, I'd have to expect that after so many years of shooting P&S, I wouldn't actually know what a good picture looks like.