Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Default Starting over- choosing entry dslr +lens

I tried out the Olympus E-620 but its difficulty with low light had me frustrated in a very short time. I definitely need a system that will work well in low light and won't give a beginner like me too much trouble. My subject is a young child so it has to be quick shooting! The kit lenses with the E-620 weren't that useful for my immediate need either, so I've decided to just start over from scratch.

I'm figuring it makes more sense to shop for the lens first and then choose the body.. My primary need for the camera is to take detailed/close-up portraits of my daughter, I want a lens that'll give good bokeh. While shopping for the Oly E system I was set on this lens http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Teleph...=1WWPB4HE4DKOL for that purpose. Can anybody recommend a lens that'll do what I want here? My daughter's first pics were taken with an iPhone so I really have a lot to make up for!

I don't have a lot to work with budge-wise.. I probably need to keep the whole thing under $800, but I'll take the best I can get within that range, with priority on the perfect lens. Any help here would be appreciated, I've lost time & money on the E-620 experiment so I'm ready to listen!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2

For low light, 4/3 are not as good as a aps-c camera dslr. The e620 is only good upto 1600iso. If you want 3200 and 6400iso in the entry market, you will want to look aps-c dslr's

For under 800, look at the pentax k-x. It is a very good low light camera. You can get a good 2 lens kit 18-55 and 55-300 for around 700.

If you are looking for a 1 lens kit, the canon t1i is a good option for under 800. And you can add the canon 50mm 18 MKII for the bokeh you are looking for for 95 dollars.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Looks like I could even get the T2i and the 50mm lens and stay within budget. I'm a little tempted by Pentax, or something with stabilization in-body, since I have a couple of lenses for my mom's ancient Pentax Spotmatic. Can you suggest a portrait lens if I decided to go that route?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4

For the pentax, you can look at the FA 50mm 1.4.

The canon depending on what focus length you are looking for, you can get the plastic fantastic ef 50 1.8 MKII or the ef 50 1.4 USM, and then there is the ef 85mm 1.8.

Also with either, a macro lens makes a good portrait lens also like a 100 2.8 for either the pentax or canon.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:51 PM   #5

But I would still get the kit lens 18-55 with either the pentax or canon. The fix length lens can be limiting at times.

PS on the canon the ef-s 60mm 2.8 macro is a good lens for portraits also. And will let you get a little closer.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:25 PM   #6

Am I wrong to love this lens? http://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-Alph...cmu_pg__header

I have a Super Takumar 1:2.8/105 and a 1:3.5/28 (--just reading off the front of the lenses, I don't actually understand the notation all too well) and a APS Auto Teleplus 2X teleconverter. These are decades old but I'd like to try working with them till I can afford better. Would it be redundant to get a portrait lens since I already have the 28mm?

I think I had this discussion once here with somebody, but was it Sony and Pentax that would be best for taking an M42 mount?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:29 PM   #7

it is about the same as the pentax and canon 50mm 1.4

there are allot of pentax shooters with m43 lens, over at the pentax forum Bigdawgs shoots m42 lenses.

But you can get a m43 for canon or sony as well.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:31 PM   #8

Hi under rock
I really like pentax k-x as a very good option for you under 600 $...Myself most of the time take the pics of Children under low light condition ..Unfortunately Pentax is not operating their market in india ..So i purchased canon XS (1000d) which is a entry level dslr .. and really i love this camera .kit lens are really good more over u can purchase 50mm f1.8 canon lens which 95$ to produce bokeh effect ..Canon 1000d with kit lens it is 480 $ and 95 $ for50mm f1.8 lens .. these are few pics which i captured in low light from kit lens

sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:38 PM   #9

Gorgeous! You do nice work. Thanks for the suggestions (@ Shoturtle too) --I am so newbishly uninformed!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:43 PM   #10

the canon t1i, and T2i are very good low light camera and so is the pentax k-x. If you do not need HD video that much, I would look at the pentax k-x or the canon T1i. The T2i is a better HD camera with more bells and whistle for HD video with external mic options. And higher frame rate for 1080p.

But having both the canon ef 50mm 1.8 and the ef 50mm 1.4, the 360 lens is better. But the 50 1.8 is a good starting out lens. And does a very nice job for a 95 dollar lens. The pentax FA 50 1.4 is a equal to the canon 50 1.4 and the sony 50 1.4 you linked. That is why they are all about the same price at 360 dollars.