Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:30 PM   #1

Default Canon cheapo is slow -- others??

Bought the Canon A490 as an affordable camera to keep in my truck for work. It is what I expected - not too many frills, and a servicable camera.

However, this camera takes about 5 to 10 seconds to recharge the flash. Is this a result of: A) relying on 2 AA batteries or B) the overall quality of the camera due to its affordability (by the way - I asked for sugesstions based on those two things. No sweat off my back if it is a matter of getting what I paid for).

Next question: are there other cameras that might be a step or two up that would be more responsive and cost slightly more (sub $200 vs. sub 100)?

The Kodak 915 was also recommended, and it is not on the shelf locally.

Thanks for the help
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:45 AM   #2

You're asking whether the camera you bought for cheap has an abnormally slow flash for that price range. I honestly couldn't tell you specifically for every camera in that price point, but you could easily go to the reviews section and Newegg and match cameras based on price to their respective reviews.

What I Could tell you is that you bought this camera Because it was very cheap. So obviously, a snail-speed flash and 150 shots per two AA batteries... is what you're looking at. That's just what you get for such a low price.

If I were you, I'd get two Energizer Lithium '8x' batteries and see how the flash works there. They really do last eight times as much.
And if you're still not satisfied, even though this is just supposed to be a work camera, then I'd recommend getting a 200-300$ camera which you won't have to replace unless you want to.. that seems like the best choice without cutting any corners.

Last edited by Track; Nov 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
However, this camera takes about 5 to 10 seconds to recharge the flash. Is this a result of: A) relying on 2 AA batteries or B) the overall quality of the camera due to its affordability (by the way - I asked for sugesstions based on those two things. No sweat off my back if it is a matter of getting what I paid for).
Just about every camera I know of, which uses AA, has a slow flash re-charge time. These batteries may be efficient in terms of picture taking but they certainly aren't good for flash. So, I'd start by looking for a model that uses proprietary battery instead. They may cost more but they are better suited for flash.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:14 PM   #4

I would recommend the Z950/915 availible online or if U want to go a bit higher then the Nikon S8100 or the Canon sx130is < $300. Nikon is faster 5fps and the Canon has a slightly longer zoom 12x v/s 10x.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:00 PM   #5

All of your comments make sense. I think I am trying to find the impossible camera that has AA batteries (can be found at any c-store), is rugged for everyday carry on the job and will take photos in all environments ranging from 1,000,000 sf warehouses to old growth forests.

I have been taking my K-x and I don't want to risk damaging it, but I think the answer is spending another $100 or so to get a serviceable camera.

Thanks for all of your help.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:19 AM   #6

my backup camera is a kodak z915. i just took it out, shot a flash pic and waited for a count of 4... but then i discovered that if you depress the shutter button once right after the flash - about 1 second - it was ready to shoot with the flash again, and i shot another flash pic to make sure it would. definitely under 2 seconds.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:10 AM   #7

Many cameras will let you take the shot while the flash is charging up. The thing is, if the flash is not fully charged, the subsequent shots may be on the under exposed side. If the subject is close enough, it this may not be so evident but you will noticed that the background will be much darker. If the subject as somewhat far from the camera, then the under exposing will be obvious.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:55 PM   #8

looked close enough that i couldn't tell the difference without studying the pic. the original poster wants a cheap camera that can take flash pics without a long wait. the bottom line - for $100, the kodak z915 can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Many cameras will let you take the shot while the flash is charging up. The thing is, if the flash is not fully charged, the subsequent shots may be on the under exposed side. If the subject is close enough, it this may not be so evident but you will noticed that the background will be much darker. If the subject as somewhat far from the camera, then the under exposing will be obvious.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote