Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Have read the forums, now ready to ask

I am a Point & Shoot maven who has decided to move on up to the SLR world. My main objective is to take amazing baby pictures (baby has not arrived yet so I have some time to practice). I am content to keep using the P&S for other purposes (for now). I canít say that money is no object but I am prepared to spend what it takes to get what I want.
After a bit of internet research I think Iím leaning towards the Canon T1i body. My understanding is that, as a novice, I am unlikely to run into whatever limitations it may have as compared to other models and, in spite of the fact that itís not the newest release, it does not have outdated or sub-par technology.
I was planning to forego the kit lens and apply the price difference to a lens that I really want. Iím thinking about the Canon 50mm/1.4. I expect to take indoor, natural light photos and I like the ones with shallow DOF and good bokeh. I figure that I can invest in a 2nd lens at the point when baby starts to become more mobile and look for something that will allow me to get a shot in spite of quick and erratic movement but for now I should be ok with the 50/1.4
Am I on the right track? These are my tentative choices based on what info Iíve gathered here on the forums but Iím certainly open to substitutions, add-ons, or general food-for-thought. Thanks for the feedback!
uclatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:35 PM   #2

Well, there's no perfect solution. The body is certainly a good performer as are any of the options out there from other manufacturers. I do think you should reconsider not getting the kit lens regardless of what camera you buy. A 50mm lens on an APS-C sensor camera can be restrictive in a lot of shooting situations. I think you'll regret not having a little versatility for other applications.

A 50mm 1.4 is a great portrait lens for those static shots. I'll warn you though that you might find that just planning on available light photos - you'll find yourself a bit restricted. Sometimes you may want to get a shot of the baby and someone else too - that can be difficult at wide apertures.

I found it was easy and great to shoot my son with available light and 1.8 lenses when he was born. Once he started to move though, wide apertures/high ISOs proved a poor solution and external flash was called for. That's also why keeping the kit lens can be a good idea - you have a wide angle solution for when you need it and the flash negates the need for wide apertures.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

Coming from Point and Shoot are you comfortable with the viewfinder or do you prefer to use Live View?

Once my grandson was past the bed bug stage and into full on rug rat mode I found tracking him with the Live View and shooting in drive mode gave me the highest number of usable shots. (I do the snapshots not studio type shots) I chose to go with a Sony A-550 as at the time Sony seemed to have the best auto focus with Live View.

If you do not have lenses for the system you choose I would definitely get the kit lens with your body, as JohnG pointed out with the APS-C sensor the 50mm can be limiting indoors for groups or fast moving targets.

Good luck

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:35 PM   #4

Do you think that adding the 430EX flash to my current choices will carry me through the first few months? I think Iíll have to go to a zoom when sheís mobile, but my guess is that Iíll have some composition control for a while (right?). 50mm and a bounced flash?
I have an old 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III lens that came in a kit back in the day but on the crop camera I donít think it will give me much flexibility. Should I look into a good wide-angle lens now, or will I be happy with the kit lens? If Iím planning on the ďstage 2- baby is mobile lensĒ anyway, should I just get it now? Most importantly, why are there no perfect solutions?? Maybe what I really need is to hire a professional photog to follow my family around at all times, like the president and pope have.
Iím comfortable using the viewfinder so I donít think LiveView will be a big factor for me.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:18 PM   #5

You have compositional control within limits. I.E. your child won't be moving. But you have to ask yourself - are there going to be photos you want to take where 50mm just isn't wide enough - even with stationary subjects? If you're constrained by room dimensions - i.e. can't move further away, and/or want multiple people in the frame you MAY run into issues where 50mm is just too tight. Especially on a crop sensor camera. It will be fine for shots of baby only - it's when you want shots of others you might find it too tight.

The 430exII is an excellent flash. But I still think you want the kit lens too.

The reason the kit lens with any camera makes sense is it is almost always a very good bargain. Better performing lenses will usually cost several hundred dollars more. And a number of those selections also aren't very wide (like a tamron 28-75 2.8 - great lens but $500 and 28mm isn't very wide on a crop sensor camera). So for little investment, kit lenses allow you to learn about what focal lengths you prefer and what it is about the lens you don't like. Then you can buy a better option that fits your specific needs.

Quote:
Most importantly, why are there no perfect solutions??
A perfect solution would be an external flash with instant re-charge and a fast-focusing 10-200mm zoom lens with constant 1.2 aperture. That lens doesn't exist. If it did, it would be ludicrously heavy and unimaginably expensive. Having multiple lenses and external flash helps cover multiple scenarios but it's still not perfect because you have to switch lenses. Zoom lenses only go to f2.8 except in Oly where they have f2.0 zooms. 2.8 often isn't bright enough for good available light photography and in close quarters isn't wide enough to blur the background. So then you get into prime lenses - like the 50mm 1.4. At 50mm it can be too tight if you want a photo from only a couple feet away or group shots. It can be too short if you want to capture something going on across the room - so you have to zoom with your feet.

So, there's no perfect solution. We have to adapt to do the best we can with the equipment we have. It's also good to understand BEFORE you buy what the pros/cons of each solution are so you can weigh those and decide what flash/lens(es) you're going to buy and how you're going to have to use them to be successful.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:49 PM   #6

lol, I was totally kidding about the perfect solution - but thank you for your very sensible answer.
I don't know why I'm so hesitant to get the kit lens, it feels like a waste of money even if it is a good value (like buying ugly shoes on sale) but your point is well taken - I need something to develop my preferences on before I invest in a beautiful lens that I never care to use. I had hoped that my P&S would fill in for all of the 50mm's limitations until I was ready to purchase the next lens but if I'm going to be lost on what to buy next because I don't have any practice with other focal lengths then maybe the kit lens is the way to go.