Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Canon SX130 Vs Panasonic TZ10/ZS7

Hi,
To make a long story short - I am going to travel in south America for 3 month - mostly for trekking.
I am searching for an all purpose camera with long zoom and most importantly great outdoors picture quality.
I narrowed down my options to the SX130 VS the TZ10/ZS7

SX130 :
* AA batteries - better for traveling in my opinion.
* longer telephoto reach.
* better flash for indoor pictures.
* I previously owned a cannon & I like the cannon colors and menu.

TZ10 :
* wider angle - good for scenery pictures.
* smaller and lighter.
* better LCD screen.
* AVCHD format for HD movies.
* GPS.
* better shot to shot delays.

Now here is my main question : which camera takes better outdoor pics in your opinion?
How big is the difference between the panasonic colors to the canon colors ?
If you have any other issue which might shift my decision to one camera of the other please share it with me.

akalithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:12 AM   #2

I would take the ZS7 (TZ10) over the SX210 but I would probably take the SX130 over the ZS7 if size wasn't an issue. The outdoor IQ on the ZS7 is very good but I agree that I like Canon's colors better.

ZS7 photo off my HDD ...
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:06 PM   #3

Thanks for that photo.
The colors actually look pretty nice - but a bit unreal I would say.
since I noticed you own both S95 and a ZS7 I might as well ask you a few other questions I had in mind :
Do you notice the 25 mm compared to the 28 mm difference in the wide end ?
When you use the S95, how often would you say that you miss the zoom on the zs7?
what is the shot-to-shot delay you experience with the zs7? and how many pics do you usually get from a single battery ?

I gotta say that I am having a really hard time deciding...
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akalithium View Post
Thanks for that photo.
The colors actually look pretty nice - but a bit unreal I would say.
since I noticed you own both S95 and a ZS7 I might as well ask you a few other questions I had in mind :
Do you notice the 25 mm compared to the 28 mm difference in the wide end ?
When you use the S95, how often would you say that you miss the zoom on the zs7?
what is the shot-to-shot delay you experience with the zs7? and how many pics do you usually get from a single battery ?

I gotta say that I am having a really hard time deciding...
Yes, I do notice the difference at the wide end but generally it's not a big deal. Occasionally I am right on top of something and wish I had the ZS7's wide end but usually I can just step back further.

I miss the zoom fairly often tbh but when I have the ZS7, I miss the bigger sensor and brighter lens of the S95 more. My main issue with the ZS7 (and all cams with a similarly sized sensor) is that I found that "low light" is much more common than I realized. If I am hiking under heavy tree cover, the S95 can still take a good handheld shot without the flash; the ZS7 needs to jack up the ISO.

The ZS7 shot to shot delay is next to nothing. It's faster than the S95 for sure. I get a bit over 300 shots with the ZS7 on 1 charge. I get about 200 with the S95. I have a spare battery for both and have never drained both batteries for either camera in a single outing.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:22 PM   #5

I gotta say that I was thinking before about getting an S95 and after reading your posts I know re-think about it again.
Since I will own only 1 camera I really wonder which camera will serve me better, however I am pretty sure that I won't take any pictures in raw and I would like a camera that I can also put on auto and let my girlfriend picture whatever she wants.

giving up on the zoom seems hard , on my last "big" trip I had a x3 cam while a friend of mine x10 and although I think my cam produced better pics I did feel from time to time that I could use more zoom.

any difference in daylight pics between your S95 and the TZ10 ?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:08 PM   #6

akalithium... where are you going in South America? Will you be spending more time in cities or out in the country? Will you be shooting much video or just taking stills?

I'll say this much: On almost every vacation I've taken, I found myself using the wide end of the zoom range far more than the long telephoto end. Unless you're going on a Safari... Advantage: ZS7.

You're right, unless you have easy access to AC (make sure you take a charger that can work with any given country's power system), then AA batteries are better for traveling. Advantage: SX130.

If you're going to be shooting a substantial amount of video, then you'll probably want the AVCHD ability. Advantage: ZS7.

If you're going to be shooting mostly out of doors in bright sunlight, the ZS7's better rear LCD will be useful. But the SX130's electronic viewfinder will be even better in bright sunlight (even if its resolution isn't all that great). Advantage: SX130.

If you'll be doing a lot of indoor shooting, it's good to have a capable flash. Advantage: SX130.

If you're going to spend a lot of time moving on foot, small size and light weight will matter. Advantage: ZS7.

You like the color rendering of the Canon better. Advantage: SX130.

The Panasonic's jpg engine is probably set up a bit better to preserve a bit more detail. Advantage: ZS7.

The Panasonic offers slightly faster shooting. Advantage: ZS7.

Honestly... it's close to a toss up. It's just a matter of deciding how you will use the camera. Either will offer great results in good light. If in every other way you prefer a given camera but are still worried about color rendering, know that you can adjust it a bit in-camera or tweak the color a bit in post processing - even with jpgs.

Last edited by Biro; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akalithium View Post
any difference in daylight pics between your S95 and the TZ10 ?
If you pixel peep sure, but at typical print sizes, nope.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:26 PM   #8

Check out this site:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You can compare full res sample images of many camera models. It was quite useful for me when i was camera hunting.
If GPS isn't a deal breaker for you, then maybe check out the ZS3. Should be cheaper than the ZS7 right now, and has better picture quality (compare the 2 via the above link).
PsyCro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyCro View Post
Check out this site:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

You can compare full res sample images of many camera models. It was quite useful for me when i was camera hunting.
If GPS isn't a deal breaker for you, then maybe check out the ZS3. Should be cheaper than the ZS7 right now, and has better picture quality (compare the 2 via the above link).
As an FYI, the auto mode on the ZS7 utilizes different settings than the ZS3 so you can't really compare anything if they are shot in auto. However, the ZS3 does have slightly better IQ due to having less MP and thus better pixel density. The difference is really minimal though and the discussion is pretty much pointless since the ZS3 is discontinued. I would be very, very surprised if you could find a new ZS3 anywhere and if you did, it would cost a lot more than it's worth because of the simple laws of supply (which is zero) and demand.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:39 PM   #10

Will the image quality improve if you just drop the resolution down to 10 mp or so? I have used a ZS7 for a few months and never have the MP at maximum, though I wasn't sure if the principle (less MP for better image quality) would apply. FWIW, I used the ZS3 for a couple of weeks and found that it wasn't quite as quick as ZS7 in the lens or focus. No disappointment in the IQ dept. tho.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote