Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:02 AM   #11

Okay, decision made.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought I would regret giving up the Kx, which I do really like.

I'm still going to return the Kx due to the fact that made the mistake of not ordering it with both the 18-55 & 55-300 kit lens, but instead of getting the Nikon D90 or another Kx, I decided to order the Kr with both kit lenses instead.

The few added features are just what I was looking for on the Kr that the Kx was lacking.

I kept reading folks saying it wasn't worth the extra $300 for the added features, but it's really not $300 if you buy the two kit lenses.

The Kx with both lenses cost $692.86
And the Kr with both lenses is $899.00
That's only $206.00 more for the Kr, and to me, having the added features are well worth it.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited by Braciola; Nov 9, 2010 at 3:06 AM.
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:06 AM   #12

the bottom line is if the features matches what you want, then it is worth it.

The k-r is faster to AF then the K-x and the AF points are important to some and you do get the choice of proprietary batteries and AA rechargeable when the adapter comes out.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:52 AM   #13

the k-r looks like a great camera - when you get it come on down to the pentax forum and share your thoughts on it with us
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post
or

Return the Kx kit with the 18-55 lens and upgrade to the Nikon D90 kit with the 18-105

That's what I would do. I did not care for the Kx at all (despite all the great reviews). The D90 is a solid camera (and much larger). It will outperform the Kx in just about every aspect.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #15

I had to make the same choice and went with a D90 and I do not regret it at all.

The reasons I went with the d90 were:

- better selection of lenses
- lithium ion battery which gives me upto 1250 shots on 1 charge (great for high speed mode where you take 4-6 pictures of 1 shot fast)
- I saved money by not having to use a dedicated flash as a commander to have additional slave flashes, I can use the D90 as a commander itself.
- I found 18-55 limiting and do not like to change lenses. While I really considered 18-200mm or 18-270mm, the 18-105mm was a very good starting point along with a 35mm 1.8 prime lens. The 18-105mm works very good as a work around lens, the 35mm does a great job if you love shooting at night in darkness as it picks up more light and the 35mm 1.8 can be had for $180 or so - much cheaper than almost any other brand.
- Nikon is a solid company while Pentax just got bought by the Hoya Corp. Who knows if they'll be like olympus and try to remove their consumer/ prosumer line of dslrs. Had no such worries with Nikon.
- The NEF (raw) of D90 file only comes out to about 8-11 mb per file, not 20-25mb like Canon 550D's.
- It feels it fits my hand and style.
- The 18-105mm lens is very sharp and covered all my focal lengths as I do not do wild life or sports photography.

That said my mentor has been using Nikon for over 2 decades so I was biased but I already like it more than Canon's that I tried out. Also in my research I noticed anything more than 12mp created too much noise somehow. The KX with 12mp was much better than Canons but the D90 with its warmer images was more my style.

So ultimately it is your taste and you have to make that choice for you. For example I like Indian food and find it yummy but not everyone else may agree. So its your choice. If you're not happy with Pentax.. return it. But I will give you 1 piece of advice.. research d90 and d7000. And once you make that choice, avoid all forums/ advertisements/ camera shops like the plague for 1 year.. you don't want buyers regret. Just live with it!

I simply went with a d90 over d7000 because it was more my budget although the idea of 2 sd cards is very attractive to me.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:29 PM   #16

Thank you guys, that's exactly the info I was waiting to hear, but I wish it was 24 hours ago
I'm glad to hear the the Nikon 18-105 is a good lens.

No big deal,
I just called B&H and the told me the Kr had already shipped the Kr, but that I can just refuse delivery and it will be returned.

They don't have the D90 with the 18-105 in stock, so I'll just order one from amazon.

....my head is spinning, LOL!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:09 PM   #17

stay with the K-r. you wont be disappointed. I got mine 2 weeks ago.

(btw, i love indian food!)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:28 PM   #18

I thought you said Kx!?! If it's the Kr, then it may be a slightly different story as the Kr has the AF focus indicator light that the Kx does not (primary reason for my disliking it). But still, I think the D90 is a better overall camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post

Okay, decision made.

...instead of getting the Nikon D90 or another Kx, I decided to order the Kr with both kit lenses instead.

...The few added features are just what I was looking for on the Kr that the Kx was lacking.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I thought you said Kx!?! If it's the Kr, then it may be a slightly different story as the Kr has the AF focus indicator light that the Kx does not (primary reason for my disliking it). But still, I think the D90 is a better overall camera.