Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:33 PM   #21

should point out afew thigns about the k-r since we had some biased nikon opinions - might as well do the opposite

the autofocus from the k-r is new fast and works well even in very dim lighting works past where the camera can meter shots infact - 11 autofocu points and has 9 cross type sensors and with the points visable in viewfinder

- has a larger iso range the the d90

- uses a lithium ion battery BUT with the optional adaptor can use AA batteries too

- pentax has argubly the best aps-c lens line up as they design lenses only for aps-c not for full frame

- nikon dont do a fast stablised normal zoom - this si what put me off nikon only consumer grade lenses in this range have vibration reduction in them so no fast apertures but ALL pentax lenses are stablised by the in body stablisation

- k-r has a faster continous shooting rate 6fps vs 4.5fps

the only area where i would say the d90 is a better camera than the k-r is that its was aimed at a slightly higher level so has dual dials etc and i-ttl is better than p-ttl flash system - other than that the k-r is a newer more modern piece of kit

as for the lens well 18-55mm is not a bad range for most uses and with the 55-300mm too thats a lot of range covered if you cant be bothered changing lenses then why get a dslr?

shall also jsut add that yes hoya did buy pentax adding to there existing imaging department and under them has been getting stronger steadily and no more indication they are going to drop aps-c format dslrs than there is that canon and nikon are going to do the same - ie none
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Nov 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
the only area where i would say the d90 is a better camera than the k-r is that its was aimed at a slightly higher level so has dual dials etc and i-ttl is better than p-ttl flash system - other than that the k-r is a newer more modern piece of kit
Glad you mentioned that because my main reason for a dslr was intimate portraits and photo shoots of models that I wanted printed so a top quality flash system was a requirement for me on a budget. On board flash kills an image with the bright light in your face, so I needed a bounce and diffusing flash or multiple wireless flashes for the lighting. Granted that is not everyone's requirement but it was mine. That and the fact I could use the D90 as the commander and not have to buy an SB-800/900 as the commander was what attracted me to it besides the skin tone colors.

But like I said, its my personal preference.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:02 PM   #23

Quote:
should point out afew thigns about the k-r since we had some biased nikon opinions - might as well do the opposite

the autofocus from the k-r is new fast and works well even in very dim lighting works past where the camera can meter shots infact - 11 autofocu points and has 9 cross type sensors and with the points visable in viewfinder

- has a larger iso range the the d90

- uses a lithium ion battery BUT with the optional adaptor can use AA batteries too

- pentax has argubly the best aps-c lens line up as they design lenses only for aps-c not for full frame

- nikon dont do a fast stablised normal zoom - this si what put me off nikon only consumer grade lenses in this range have vibration reduction in them so no fast apertures but ALL pentax lenses are stablised by the in body stablisation

- k-r has a faster continous shooting rate 6fps vs 4.5fps

as for the lens well 18-55mm is not a bad range for most uses and with the 55-300mm too thats a lot of range covered if you cant be bothered changing lenses then why get a dslr?

shall also jsut add that yes hoya did buy pentax adding to there existing imaging department and under them has been getting stronger steadily and no more indication they are going to drop aps-c format dslrs than there is that canon and nikon are going to do the same - ie none
Thanks John, I was having the exact same thoughts.
Since the Kr is on it's way from B&H, I might as well keep it.
I'm sure it will be perfectly fine for what I'm doing.
I still had time to cancel my D90 order with Amazon, so that's what I did.
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
- Nikon is a solid company while Pentax just got bought by the Hoya Corp. Who knows if they'll be like olympus and try to remove their consumer/ prosumer line of dslrs. Had no such worries with Nikon.
*Sigh* This old saw again. Pentax wasn't "just" purchased by Hoya. It's been a few years and during that time, Pentax has moved from playing catch up to producing class-leading DSLRs, as it did during the film days. What's more, Pentax has repeatedly demonstrated that it is committed to backwards compatability with all of its lenses, which is more than I can say for both Nikon and Canon.

It's great that that D90 is working out for you and there's nothing wrong with your choice. Virtually all of your reasons for going with the D90 are legitimate and I wish you the best of luck with the camera. But when you use lines like this it makes you sound like a fanboy... or someone who's been listening to a sales person who doesn't know what he or she is talking about. And you don't want to sound like that, do you? I didn't think so.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:29 AM   #25

Okay, I've made up my mind this time...I promise!

I really wanted to make sure I was choosing the right camera for what I wanted to accomplish, and didn't want to settle or regret my purchase.

I don't think I have ever spent so much time researching a purchase as I did in the process of buying a DSLR.

I had to factor into the equation where I wanted to be a couple of years down the road as a photographer.

I mainly want to use the camera for my business (selling custom guitars & amplifiers) but I also have grown to love photography and see myself branching out as this has become a passion.

I'd also like to build a small studio in a spare bedroom for shooting the guitars & amplifiers.

Considering that I'll be buying into a "system", I also had to look at lens choices each company provided.

That said, I'm very happy & excided with my choice to go with the Nikon D90.

Even though it's getting to be an older model, I believe it's one of the best (if not the best) in it's price range, also considering how rugged and well built the D90 feels compared to some latest greatest mega pixels/bells & whistles cameras such as the T2i, which IMHO feels like a cheap plastic toy in comparison, and don't see it lasting very many years without breaking down.

I know I have been going back & forth and probably driving you guys crazy, but this is a very big purchase for me and I wanted to make sure I was getting the right camera to grow with.

Thank you all again!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
shoturtle sums it up pretty well. The D90 and K-x are really in different categories: The K-x is an entry-level DSLR with excellent high ISO performance that punches above its weight. The D90 is at the very least a mid-level prosumer camera, even if it is getting a bit long in the tooth (and has just been replaced by the Nikon D7000). The Nikon may very well be better built but it's also bigger and heavier than the K-x. Which may be fine for you - but it is not something to be overlooked. It's also more expensive than the K-x, which you already know.

But if you buy into Nikon with the intention of sticking with Nikon's consumer lenses, there's no reason to buy the D90. Go with a D5000 or D3100 instead. The 18-105 is a decent walking around lens. But it's not high end and optically probably isn't much better than the K-x kit lenses. It's certainly not faster. As shoturtle says, if you want to go the prosumer route, great. But be prepared to pay for it.

Still... you only want to know whether to send the K-x back for the two-lens kit or send it back and buy the Nikon D90 with the 18-105. Between the two, I'd probably stick with the K-x if I were you. But if I were me, I'd buy a K-r. Either way, good luck.
very well said
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post

That said, I'm very happy & excided with my choice to go with the Nikon D90.
Groovy. I want with the Pentax K-x myself with the dual lens kit. It was pretty much the only option to bump me above $550 so I can qualify for the $450 rebate on the Epson R1900 printer. I could have easily have gone Nikon

I seriously debated going D3000 dual lens, or D3100 single lens kit. It was sensorshift image stabilization that did it for me. This is my first DSLR, and this is going over budget as it is, thus I'll be stuck buying cheap off brand manual focus k-mount primes which will have the benefit of image stabilization.

But still, a base Nikon body with just a 85mm 1.8 would have been a fine starting point too. I think their kit 55-200mm zoom is a little better than the Pentax offering. I'd rather go at least d5000 with the AF screw, but my budget was $500 max.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:16 PM   #28

The D3100 does not shoot a EV bracket, if you are a jpeg shooter or hdr guy. Not the best option.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZuke View Post
Groovy. I want with the Pentax K-x myself with the dual lens kit. It was pretty much the only option to bump me above $550 so I can qualify for the $450 rebate on the Epson R1900 printer. I could have easily have gone Nikon

I seriously debated going D3000 dual lens, or D3100 single lens kit. It was sensorshift image stabilization that did it for me. This is my first DSLR, and this is going over budget as it is, thus I'll be stuck buying cheap off brand manual focus k-mount primes which will have the benefit of image stabilization.

But still, a base Nikon body with just a 85mm 1.8 would have been a fine starting point too. I think their kit 55-200mm zoom is a little better than the Pentax offering. I'd rather go at least d5000 with the AF screw, but my budget was $500 max.

ah you went with the 50-200mm kit lens? the 55-300mm is a better lens in pretty much every way =( though i admit would have cost afew more $ but wouldn't have thought it would be many more
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:31 AM   #30

Quote:
ah you went with the 50-200mm kit lens? the 55-300mm is a better lens in pretty much every way =( though i admit would have cost afew more $ but wouldn't have thought it would be many more
I think he was refering to the D3100 50-200mm kit lens.