Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZuke View Post
Groovy. I want with the Pentax K-x myself with the dual lens kit.
Excellent choice!
After having the Kx for a month, I think it's an awesome camera that can not be beat for the price (If you can live with the fact that there is no focal points in the VF).
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
ah you went with the 50-200mm kit lens? the 55-300mm is a better lens in pretty much every way =( though i admit would have cost afew more $ but wouldn't have thought it would be many more
You "can" get the k-x with the 18-55mm & 55-300mm kit lens. It's $740.00
With the 18-55mm & 50-200mm, it's $580.
With just the 18-55mm, it's $484.

The ONLY reason I went with the 50-200mm kit lens on the Pentax was the simple fact that the Epson R1900 deal with a $450 rebate only applied to cameras $550 or more. Thus if I sold the R1900 for ~$200, the net cost would be less than not getting the 50-200mm. Thus spending more results in a net savings of ~$70 over the K-X with just the 18-55mm.

The extra $160 (~$260) was totally out of budget, even more so since I have to dedicate $1060 until the rebate comes in, and the printer is sold.

If budget wasn't an issue, and if wheeling and dealing didn't make more economic sense, yeah I'd get a k-x with the 55-300 kit lens.
MattZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:25 PM   #33

D90 will be here tomorrow!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:32 PM   #34

congrats, think you will really enjoy it. It is a very good camera.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:35 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braciola View Post
D90 will be here tomorrow!
congrats. its a nice kit. my friend chose that one here recently, had a chance to shoot some product shots with it for him one day, once i reaquainted myself with the nikon layout it was a nice cam. you will enjoy.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
congrats. its a nice kit. my friend chose that one here recently, had a chance to shoot some product shots with it for him one day, once i reaquainted myself with the nikon layout it was a nice cam. you will enjoy.
Thanks Hards80 & shoturtle!
I'm very excited!
New camera day kicks Xmass mornings a**!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:48 AM   #37

Got my D90 and so far I'm very pleased.

As I said earlier, I sell classic guitars for a living.
Here are some of the very first pictures with the D90 of a 1959 Historic Les Paul reissue:
(go easy on me, besides returning my Kx, I'm a newbie with DSLR's and this is the first guitar I shot with one)
Any suggestions on getting better shots would be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:27 AM   #38

pic 1-4:
i don't really understand the cohesiveness between the guitar and the background. Usually if you have something recognizable (not totally blown out and blurry), it should be something that relates to the subject.
pic 3:
It actually took me a little while to figure out what the background was.
pic5:
i like this one, although maybe just a bit gray. not bright enough?
pic 6:
there is a whole lot going on here. Obviously it is a promotional photo, and i understand that. the Purple velvet (is that the guitar case?) is a bit odd because it doesnt encompass then enitre photo. the top right corner and middle left side show leaves. Also beware of the glare off of the plastic. Because you are setting up the shot, try and position lighting (or block natural lighting) to prevent that.

Overall good. Your prospective buyers aren't going to be turned off by those few minor critiques, they wont care. But i do think i 4-6k guitar deserves a nice photo, and you are really on your way!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
pic 1-4:
i don't really understand the cohesiveness between the guitar and the background. Usually if you have something recognizable (not totally blown out and blurry), it should be something that relates to the subject.
pic 3:
It actually took me a little while to figure out what the background was.
pic5:
i like this one, although maybe just a bit gray. not bright enough?
pic 6:
there is a whole lot going on here. Obviously it is a promotional photo, and i understand that. the Purple velvet (is that the guitar case?) is a bit odd because it doesnt encompass then enitre photo. the top right corner and middle left side show leaves. Also beware of the glare off of the plastic. Because you are setting up the shot, try and position lighting (or block natural lighting) to prevent that.

Overall good. Your prospective buyers aren't going to be turned off by those few minor critiques, they wont care. But i do think i 4-6k guitar deserves a nice photo, and you are really on your way!
Thanks for your input Eric!

I'd really like to get something set up in my spare bedroom for taking pictures of guitars rather than taking them outside at dusk.

From what I've read, a shoot through umbrella with a white or black seamless backround works well, and is an inexpensive way to get me started.
What do you think?