Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:02 PM   #1

Default Good Macro without a wide angle lens wanted

I am looking for a camera that will take good macros of my doll collection, and of flowers. I like the idea of the Sony Exmor low light sensory because I like to take doll photos indoors, but then I read about fishbowl affect from the wide angel lens. I am not interested in the wide angle lens. So, I want to be have the low light feature without the wide angle feature, but I don't think they make one like that. I like Sony, but I had a Canon, but it last only one year until the warranty was up and then died, so I don't want another Canon. I would consider Olympus, Kodak or Nikon. I just want a camera that I don't have to change the lens, and not too expensive that takes good macros, and hopefully less grainy in low light photos. I normally have to flash my photos indoors and correct them in photoshop.
tropicalthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:28 PM   #2

Are we talking about a dslr exmor or a point and shoot exmor. The point and shoot exmor really do not preform any better then other point and shoots with a 1/2.23 sensor, 800iso is max. The dslr exmor is a very good low light preforming sensor.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Well, I have a Kodak point and shoot...14mp that shoots very good macros of flowers...never thought of doing dolls as I do not have any, have done of a small buddha and it good. I like it very much, the camera...works well, fast, 14 mp....enlarges GREAT. Check out the photos in by clicking on my name and seeing my album...those are what I do, lots of flowers. Oh, and bugs. Love spiders. Bees. Bees are harder, they do not sit still long. But, I digress.
Then again, if you want a dslr sonys are good, have an Alpha 100 and the regular lens does well...but would bet a minimal macro. meaning the least expensive one that doesn't get too detailed...bugs eyebrows...just leg hairs.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonewolf View Post
Well, I have a Kodak point and shoot...14mp that shoots very good macros of flowers...never thought of doing dolls as I do not have any, have done of a small buddha and it good. I like it very much, the camera...works well, fast, 14 mp....enlarges GREAT. Check out the photos in by clicking on my name and seeing my album...those are what I do, lots of flowers. Oh, and bugs. Love spiders. Bees. Bees are harder, they do not sit still long. But, I digress.
Then again, if you want a dslr sonys are good, have an Alpha 100 and the regular lens does well...but would bet a minimal macro. meaning the least expensive one that doesn't get too detailed...bugs eyebrows...just leg hairs.
I used to have a cybershot older model 2001, but it took great macros, but the newer Sony's the macro is not so good. I like the Alpha, it's too expensive for me to have a camera with interchangeable lens, so I want to just have a good macro going on all the time. I seldom do landscapes, I don't travel much.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5

I am getting a Pentax X90 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 26x Super-Telephoto Triple Shake Stabilized Zoom on Amazon, because Amazon has been very good about me returning items that break quickly and giving me a full cash refund with no shipping charges or restocking fees. I don't know if they will do that on a camera, but I got a full refund on a dvd player that stopped working after 2 months. I read all the reviews, and they said this camera has a good macro, but the zoom is bad for wildlife, but dolls don't move around on you. LOL
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Since you don't want a Canon, Panasonic LX5 or Samsung EX1 would be my suggestion since you indicated you would like to have better low light photos. Unfortunately, you have limited us to 3 brands (none of which is Panny or Samsung), not provided a budget and want NO wide angle, which is present on almost every camera that is manufactured by any company now. Olympus and Kodak don't even make a compact camera with a larger-than-average sensor (for low light) to my knowledge. That leaves Nikon and the P7000, if it's within your budget - but of course, it has wide angle. If you want to stick with all of your requirements, you will likely need to look at used cameras.