Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:51 AM   #1

Default Amateur needing help

hello everyone,
i have been reading through the posts of this site for a couple of months.i would like to introduce myself as a photo enthusiast and amateur photographer.i mostly like to do macro,floral and black and white photography.let me show u some examples.
i had taken those pics using my friends sony t-900 in last few months.now i have to return him the cam and buy myself a new one.i decided to get a new dslr.here comes my dilemma, i am torn between canon 550d and sony alpha 580.let me state the advantages(for me) of both of them,
Advantages of 550d over a580:
  • Higher flash sync (1/200 vs 1/160)
  • larger selection of lenses,has most of the finest macro lenses.
  • accessories are cheaper and easy to find.
  • better high iso performance
  • more conventional video recording
Advantages of a580 over 550d:
  • better sensor,from what i have known
  • tilting lcd,good for my macro work
  • IBS,works with macro and wide angle lenses
  • larger sensor makes greater DOF
  • more sturdy body and better made from what i have read
  • auto HDR,love this option
  • battery life(more than 1000 shots)
i cant think of any more facts right now,so i badly need help to decide which one will be suitable for me.i know there is no best dslr.i just need the perfect one for me and my taste.thank u all in advance.
Attached Images

Anonymous77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:53 AM   #2

im sorry,i didnt expect the red color of the 3rd picture to be faded like this and i think all the pictures are over sized.pls try zooming out ur browser screen while watching.
Anonymous77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3

i've always preferred canon pics to sony, and after a little research, it seems the sony sensor is a different dimension than canon, and is actually smaller. anyway, this is what a quick google search showed me - info could be wrong:

canon 550d sensor size - 22.3x14.9mm
sony a580 sensor size 21.5x14.4 mm

i personally wouldn't worry about body strength, as i know lots of careless rebel owners who haven't managed to damage their canon rebels by dropping them. and it's hard to argue with the large selection of lenses for the 550, including not only the canon lenses but sigma and tamron.

but it sounds to me like you prefer the sony, and there's nothing wrong with that - you may be overthinking this decision. the tilting lcd would be useful, and stabilization comes in very handy sometimes. i'd suggest that as long as you can get the lenses you want for the sony, unless there are downsides to the sony you haven't mentioned, you might as well go with it and not worry about whether a canon might have more to bring to the party. after all, no camera has every feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous77 View Post
hello everyone,
i have been reading through the posts of this site for a couple of months.i would like to introduce myself as a photo enthusiast and amateur photographer.i mostly like to do macro,floral and black and white photography.let me show u some examples.
i had taken those pics using my friends sony t-900 in last few months.now i have to return him the cam and buy myself a new one.i decided to get a new dslr.here comes my dilemma, i am torn between canon 550d and sony alpha 580.let me state the advantages(for me) of both of them,
Advantages of 550d over a580:
  • Higher flash sync (1/200 vs 1/160)
  • larger selection of lenses,has most of the finest macro lenses.
  • accessories are cheaper and easy to find.
  • better high iso performance
  • more conventional video recording
Advantages of a580 over 550d:
  • better sensor,from what i have known
  • tilting lcd,good for my macro work
  • IBS,works with macro and wide angle lenses
  • larger sensor makes greater DOF
  • more sturdy body and better made from what i have read
  • auto HDR,love this option
  • battery life(more than 1000 shots)
i cant think of any more facts right now,so i badly need help to decide which one will be suitable for me.i know there is no best dslr.i just need the perfect one for me and my taste.thank u all in advance.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

I would go with what ever feels right for you. I believe if it feels right then that goes a long way. If you havent tried them go and try both.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote