Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
How many lenses do you already have for your XT?
I just have the basic kit lens, the 18-55mm, but also the 75-300mm and a small wide angle/macro lens as well.
snipsnsnailsx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:26 PM   #12

yup, the xt can shoot decent at 1600iso, something the G2 does not do well pass 1250iso.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:38 PM   #13

I'm not sure why my last post hasn't shown up...trying again...

The only lens I have for my Rebel is the kit lens of 18-55, but then I also have a 75-300mm lens, and finally a little 0.5x macro/wide angle as well as numerous filters.

As for the low lighting issue, I do despise using too much flash. I enjoy not having to use the flash unless I can help it.
I really don't know what I'm doing when I take pictures though. If I decide to upgrade to the t2i, then I'd need to hang out more on these digital camera forums and learn how to actually use the settings! haha

So what's the difference between the t1i and the t2i? Big enough to make the upgrade, or okay to stick with the t1i for a price break?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:47 PM   #14

video is the big thing. The t2i does 1080p much better then the t1i, and you can add and external mic to improve sound.

If you really want to avoid using a flash for indoors, add the canon ef 50 1.8 for 95 dollars. It will really help. Also I would get the t1i or t2i kit instead, as it comes with a IS lens. So it will help combat camera shake with longer exposures. Give you better photos.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:02 PM   #15

Can the canon be fixed? what is wrong with it? And, was the camera shooting bad shots or, um, were you just not too into the camera?
Makes a difference...all of my cameras take good shots, just depends on how into it I am at the time...meaning to think it through, go through the cameras menus to remember how the camera works, have a few I don't use much and can't remember to save my soul.
Try renting some, see how you like them.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:03 PM   #16

I think it can be fixed, but I don't think I want to spend a couple hundred dollars fixing an older camera. Its getting time to upgrade anyway, so I thought I'd just sell it as is and buy a new camera.

It started with a few pictures here and there that won't "process" and then the flash stopped automatically popping up. But what finally happened, is it froze last week - the menu on the LCD screen froze and when I turned it off and popped the battery out to "refresh" it...it never turned back on. I put in a brand new battery, fully charged, and it came back on for a few minutes and even took some pictures. However, the next day it did the same thing again, and will no longer turn on.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:29 PM   #17

It really is not worth fixing for couple hundred dollars. And the AF system is not as good the newer rebels, or shoot at highere iso as them either. You also get a bet metering system.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:14 PM   #18

Did you find with your old broken camera that you always wanted to or needed to change lenses? That is one thing that drove me from my Sony D-SLR camera that and changing lenses caused focus and sensor issues......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:03 AM   #19

Hi and welcome, I understand how you feel about lens changing but for image quality you cant beat a DSLR IMHO. I f it was me i would go for the T2i/550d it not just the video that better its better at low light the buttons are better laid out including dedicated live view plus the rear screen is better.
I am not a fan of one lens does all but it maybe something you would want to concider.
As for compacts then canons g11/12 would be great in low light but lack zoom maybe look at sx30 but in the end they are a compromise
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:57 AM   #20

i'm a bit curious why you say your pics were hit and miss. what was hit and miss about them?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote