Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:55 PM   #1

Default Broken Canon Rebel = New camera, suggestions?

To start with - I'm not even sure I want another DSLR. I LOVED my Rebel, although sometimes its just too much camera to carry around. Also, I do not know much about manual settings and so I often just kept it on auto. I only very rarely branched out and tried fooling with some settings.
I have Photoshop Elements, so I did A LOT of post-picture editing (post-processing?). I don't mind doing that, but having some great looking photos straight off the card would be nice too.

But now my Canon Rebel is not working - so I need to get a new camera. I have a couple extra lens for the Rebel, and filters, etc etc. However I'm thinking of just selling it all if I don't go the DSLR route again. Also, I found it annoying to have to change lens for just quick photos. Yeah my long zoom lens was awesome in soccer games...but I couldn't get any shots if my son got too close to me unless I changed lens super quick, and I'm just not that quick! lol It was a nice bonus to have the long lens and super zoom with that...but I wouldn't say it was a necessity for me.

Here's what I'm thinking I want....

Compact sized, but don't need to sacrifice image quality for size. I don't think I want to go as big as my Rebel again though.
Point and shoot - but with one of the better image qualities possible in a point and shoot.
Relatively fast click to capture speed.
Video capability - and one of the better video qualities available
Price - under $500 I'm thinking
Use for family photos, around the house, some sports, and some amateur photography (of my kids )
I've done some research, but there is SO much to choose from! My current favorite is the Pansonic Lumix DMC TS2...unless I get some better suggestions here!

Thanks!!!!
snipsnsnailsx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:01 PM   #2

All your lenses will fit right onto another canon rebel like the t1i and t2i. They have gotten a little lighter. If you love the low light of you old rebel, a TS2 will not come close. Also if you like to dof control you have with your rebel no point and shoot can match it. As there is very little dof with the small sensors of a point and shoot. So it will be very hard or next to impossible to get a blurred background.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply! My current Canon Rebel is an XT that is 4 years old. From what I read, is that pretty much a dinosaur in Canon Rebel terms? Its picture quality, when it was working, was hit and miss. Although, I do have to say, that I do love the blurred background as an effect on some of the shots.

I just don't know if 1) I want to spend that much money on that much of a camera if mostly all I'm using it for is point and shoot family photos and video? and 2) if I want another big camera to carry around that needs its own bag and can't fit in my purse, lol.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:17 PM   #4

Are the family stuff that you take indoors or out? If indoors, all point and shoots will give you way worst results.

If you want something that will give you the XT's image quality, and low light ability. You might want to consider a EVIL camera. If you are shooting full auto most the time. You can look the olympus epl-1 or something a bit more pns interfaced like the sony NEX3 and NEX5. I will let you change lenses. Have dslr size sensor, but much much smaller.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:48 PM   #5

The majority of my photos are taken indoors, and I have crappy lighting in my house.
Hmm I'm back to square one it looks like. I really would pick the Canon Rebel t2i if it wasn't for the price. Although the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe I wouldn't be happy with a point and shoot now. I like to mess around with amateur photography on occasion, and just because I haven't had time lately doesn't mean I never will again. I don't want to make a purchase I'll regret, when I could have spent another $200-$300 for a 100x better camera.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:29 PM   #6

How many lenses do you already have for your XT? If it's just one or even two - especially if they're they're the kit lenses - then there should be little problem switching to another DSLR system or even switching to an EVIL or advanced point and shoot. But I don't recommend that last option except as a back-up camera. On the other hand, if you have some good Canon lenses, you can buy a new camera body alone, which would save some money.

Some suggestions: Check out the price for a T1i body only. I'm thinking it's about $550. Also, the Pentax K-x is quite small and light. If you only need the 18-55 kit lens to start, you can get it for $550 or a bit less. And even a kit with that lens plus a 55-300mm lens will still come in well under $700. And then how about a Panasonic G2 with kit lens only for about $550? If you add a telephoto later, it'll only run another $250 or so.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:35 PM   #7

The G2 is nice, but will not match the low light of the canon that was broken. It does not have the best higher iso performance in the evil market. So it would not be idea for the indoor stuff with really poor lighting.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:10 PM   #8

On the other hand, the E-PL1's autofocus probably isn't as good as the G2's in low light. But both cameras would be better than a point and shoot, which will probably require him to use flash whenever indoors and not give him image quality as high under any circumstances. Clearly, a DSLR will still be the best choice in terms of image quality but it sounds like he's really not enthusiastic about that option.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:19 PM   #9

for indoor with a epl1 you would want to use a 20mm 1.7 or on the sony nex's the 16mm 2.8. And the epl-1 does not focus slow with the 20mm.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:25 PM   #10

a 4 year old rebel will out perform a modern 4/3rds camera for low light?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote