Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Casio H5, H15 or something completely different?

Hallo!

As I'm studying abroad at the moment, I have many occasions where I want to take a quick picture.
Unfortunatly, my Rollei XS-8 drives me crazy - photos are often blurred (yes, i understand how auto-focus works ;-) ) and the camera does really have problems choosing the right exposure time. Add a tendency to produce pictures with a white sky and a dark bottom on sunny days and you've got a camera that is hardly useable.

So I'm looking for something new. Because I thought the Rollei were able to take some tourist-like shots, i wasn't planning on buying a new camera yet, so my budget is a bit limited.

I can afford something up to 180 (which means 240-250$) but would prefer something arround 150 (200$). As you can easily guess by the currency I'm using, I'm living in europe (France and/or Germany) - so please keep in mind that prices here may differ from prices in the USA (normally, they are higher... )

I know that I will not get DSLR like image quality from a 150/200$ camera.
So I am looking for something with a good image quality in its class with a fast autofocus and nearly no shutter-lag.
I guess 14 MP will always cause a lot of noise, so i don't have a problem with a camera that offers "only" 10 MP.
I'm willing to sacrifice a little (but really only a little) image quality for speed as I know that compromisses are necessary at that price.
(I'm used to analogue cameras alot and hate finding a snapshot ruined just because of a slow digicam.)
I find it really convienient to have a lens that starts at values smaller than 30mm, that's more important to me than the question if a camera offers 10x or 12x zoom.
Welcome additions (which I don't really expect to find in this class) would be options to manually set exposure time, aperture or ISO settings.

After reading some reviews, I found the Casio Exilim H5 and the Casio Exilim H15 to receive good critics and offer almost no shutter lag.

Unfortunately, many reviewers complain about the noise cancelling algorithms used in the H15 that is accused of killing many details.
It looks like that's necessary to get useful photos without to much noise out of the 14MP chip Casio uses...

The H5 doesn't have this problem, but its pictures have a lot of noise at ISO 1600 and higher and its battery last only 1/4 of the time the H15 offers.

So what do you think, which problem is worse in daily life? Noise at ISO 1600 and higher or the aggressiv noise cancelling algorithm?

And, did i missed a camera around 150 (200$) with almost no shutter lag and good image quality?
(I've always liked Cannon for their great varity of settings, but a S95 is way out of my price range and anything below seems to have some short comings...)

Thanks for your help,
johannes
milaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaidin View Post
Hallo!

As I'm studying abroad at the moment, I have many occasions where I want to take a quick picture.
Unfortunatly, my Rollei XS-8 drives me crazy - photos are often blurred (yes, i understand how auto-focus works ;-) ) and the camera does really have problems choosing the right exposure time. Add a tendency to produce pictures with a white sky and a dark bottom on sunny days and you've got a camera that is hardly useable.

So I'm looking for something new. Because I thought the Rollei were able to take some tourist-like shots, i wasn't planning on buying a new camera yet, so my budget is a bit limited.

I can afford something up to 180 (which means 240-250$) but would prefer something arround 150 (200$). As you can easily guess by the currency I'm using, I'm living in europe (France and/or Germany) - so please keep in mind that prices here may differ from prices in the USA (normally, they are higher... )

I know that I will not get DSLR like image quality from a 150/200$ camera.
So I am looking for something with a good image quality in its class with a fast autofocus and nearly no shutter-lag.
I guess 14 MP will always cause a lot of noise, so i don't have a problem with a camera that offers "only" 10 MP.
I'm willing to sacrifice a little (but really only a little) image quality for speed as I know that compromisses are necessary at that price.
(I'm used to analogue cameras alot and hate finding a snapshot ruined just because of a slow digicam.)
I find it really convienient to have a lens that starts at values smaller than 30mm, that's more important to me than the question if a camera offers 10x or 12x zoom.
Welcome additions (which I don't really expect to find in this class) would be options to manually set exposure time, aperture or ISO settings.

After reading some reviews, I found the Casio Exilim H5 and the Casio Exilim H15 to receive good critics and offer almost no shutter lag.

Unfortunately, many reviewers complain about the noise cancelling algorithms used in the H15 that is accused of killing many details.
It looks like that's necessary to get useful photos without to much noise out of the 14MP chip Casio uses...

The H5 doesn't have this problem, but its pictures have a lot of noise at ISO 1600 and higher and its battery last only 1/4 of the time the H15 offers.

So what do you think, which problem is worse in daily life? Noise at ISO 1600 and higher or the aggressiv noise cancelling algorithm?

And, did i missed a camera around 150 (200$) with almost no shutter lag and good image quality?
(I've always liked Cannon for their great varity of settings, but a S95 is way out of my price range and anything below seems to have some short comings...)

Thanks for your help,
johannes

I bought a Casio H5, also Casio Z2000, and I have a Casio S12 from last year. I have a really hard time taking a good noise free picture indoors from either the H5 or the Z2000. The Casio S12 from last year takes nice clean and very consistent good quality indoor pictures (which are the tougher pictures to get right). Outdoor all 3 of these cameras do great.
If you need speed, then do not get the H5, it is an average camera for speed. The Z2000 and the S12 are amazingly fast. You literally don't even have to half depress the shutter. Just press it and it will focus and shoot just about as fast as you depress. This is great when you really need that shot. I like the S12 so much I bought a second one for my wife before they are all gone. There is just a limited number of these available in new condition. The S12 does not have a wide angle lens, but makes up for it in image quality.
mileater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:35 PM   #3

May we see some Casio S-12 or Z-200 photo samples, please??

Neither camera has much zoom, and they show considerable noise above ISO 400 in the reviews.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
May we see some Casio S-12 or Z-200 photo samples, please??

Neither camera has much zoom, and they show considerable noise above ISO 400 in the reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Sure. The largest picture I can put here is 1024x1024. So what I did was I just cropped a section at full size. This picture is what you would see viewing it at full size which is basically wall size. This picture is from the Casio S12, taken from the camera and not touched at all. I did not include any pictures from the Z2000 unless you want me to post some bad pictures. In my opinion the S12 rocks.

Last edited by mileater; Jan 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM. Reason: Picture was for reference. Removed after it was viewed. Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:02 AM   #5

By the way, not having much zoom is why I think the S12 does better than the Z2000 and the H5. Less glass to get in the way. Another reason is the 2.8 aperture.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaidin View Post

I think all of your expectations are quite reasonable aside from this one. With these tiny sensor cameras you are very lucky to get clean prints at ISO 800. If you can't live with excessive amounts of noise (or the water painting that results from too much noise reduction), forget about anything above that.