Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Canon 550D Vs 500D

Hi, I am planning to pick up a DSLR upgrading myself from a mega Zoom ( Panasonic FZ 35)

My requirements are shots of portraits , Landscape , flowers with few shots of birds. Video is of ZERO importance.

Keeping in mind my requirements a friend suggested to stick to 500D and go for EF-S55-250mm-f-4-5-6-IS lens along with the 18-55 kit lens. He mentioned the features between both are quite similar and its better to keep investing on a decent body and good lens.

Posting few of the shots I have taken , so you get an idea on my requirement.

Could you pls suggest a lens that could help be shoot a wide variety of shots, I know there is no 1 size fits all in DSLR but whats the closest possible.

Would really appreciate your help in selectring a good body + basic lens

Regards
Deepak
Attached Images

deepakpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:06 AM   #2

if video is not important, I would go with the 500D and put the savings toward a second lens. The kit you mention with the 18-55IS and 55-250IS are good lenses to and will be good for learning how to shoot with a dslr.

And since you want to shoot flower, you can and a canon 500D close up lenses to the setup and should cover everything you want to do. The 500D close up lens screws onto the 55-250mm lens and lets you get really close to your subject. In the United States is is about 80 dollars.

Here is the 55-250mm with the 500D close up lens on my canon T1i aka the canon 500D
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...00d-macro.html

But if you want better lenses, it can add quite allot to your budget. The ef-s 15-85mm and the ef 70-300mm are way better upgrades to the 2 lenses mention, but it will add about 1200 dollars to the price.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:30 AM   #3

Thx Shoturtle for replying.

Currently I might not be able to invest in different lens, from your post I understand I would be able to shoot good portraits ( mostly family ) & Landscapes with 18-55 & 55-250 lens right ?

Few more queries :

Will I be able shoot birds with this lens ?

Since for macro shoots I need macro lens, can I shoot regular shots and crop images for good macro effects ?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:02 AM   #4

With crops, you do not want to crop more then 20%, any more the photos start to fall apart in the background. That is why I suggested the conversion lens the 500D that you mount on the ef 55-250.

http://www.adorama.com/ICA58CU500D.html

A true macro lens will run at least 400 dollars.

The kits lenses will work for family stuff. But if you are looking with a good portrait for indoor stuff. you can get the ef 50mm 1.8. It is about 90 dollars.

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AFU.html
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:13 AM   #5

PS

on you bird question, are we talking about flying or not flying. If they are flying you will need a much longer lens. For non flying, the 55-250 will work, but the ef 70-300 would work better, and if flying can the bird is close, the faster AF speed of the 70-300 will help out.

This is with the ef 70-300mm
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...fe-refuge.html
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:16 AM   #6

Just one last question ( I realize the more I ask more confused Im getting)

If I leave out tight macro shots & flying birds and need to shoot only portraits / landscapes etc ( like the ones I have posted) is it sufficient to go for the kit 18-55 and 55-250 or do I need to look at better options ? If so which one would you recommend ?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakpraveen View Post
My requirements are shots of portraits , Landscape , flowers with few shots of birds. Video is of ZERO importance.

Keeping in mind my requirements a friend suggested to stick to 500D and go for EF-S55-250mm-f-4-5-6-IS lens along with the 18-55 kit lens. He mentioned the features between both are quite similar and its better to keep investing on a decent body and good lens.
Both are good cameras. The 550D will probably have a greater
resale value if you decide to upgrade in the next year or two.
As you are not interested in shooting video, the recently
discontinued 50D might be another option. Prices of the
50D have been falling for the last few months.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:37 AM   #8

Thanks for replying.

I'm bit tight on budget currently hence dont want to splurge too much on the purchase 500D Kit with 18-55 retails at $722 in India, and 55-250 at $267. Wanted to be sure if 55-250 + 18-55 combo would help me shoot images similar to what I have shot.

Like I posted, specific requirements are Potraits ( mostly family) / Landscapes / Nature - Flowers / Birds etc

Do help me out on the lens selection, on the body 500D seems to be a better value buy especially since I wont need great video capabilities ( Hope I'm right on this)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:19 PM   #9

if you leave out the flying birds and macro, the 500d with the 2 kit lenses will work nicely.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:55 PM   #10

If video isn't important, look at Nikon.

Nikon is better image wise, Canon is better video wise. And no I'm not a fan girl.

Even if you end up dismissing it, you should compare them and eliminate. I looked at both 550D, 500D, 50D and since most of my photos are portraits, landscapes and low light I went with a D90 and the kit 18-105mm lens.

From what I noticed from Canon, the more mega pixels greater than 12 MP generally amounted to giving more noise. That's why a 500D and 550D have much more noise than a 450D.

For your budget a Nikon D3100 will be just about right but if you can spend a little more a D90 will be better. I think a D7000 is out of your reach.

Anyways your preferences may vary
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote