Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
With Canon S95 established as the no 1 choice for pocketable p&s with less than 5x zoom what would b the best buy (no 1 choice) for pocketable p&s with more than 10x zoom? (lowlight performance,general IQ etc etc)
There is no pocketable low light camera with 10x zoom because it's just not physically possible for them to cram the sensor and 10x zoom lens into a camera that size. We all want that but it's just not physically possible.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:21 AM   #22

Agreed FiveO that the larger sensor(1/1.7') cameras come with smaller than 5x zoom xcept the Nikon P7000 (7x), but isn't there one which would standout amongst others in overall performance in the 10x or 10x + zoom catagory?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Agreed FiveO that the larger sensor(1/1.7') cameras come with smaller than 5x zoom xcept the Nikon P7000 (7x), but isn't there one which would standout amongst others in overall performance in the 10x or 10x + zoom catagory?
In low light, no. Take away the bright lens and the large sensor and you take away the low light ability. The CMOS-based cameras like the S8100, SD4500, HX5V - and the dozen or more other cams - will all do marginally better in low light than a camera w/ an equivalently sized CCD sensor (like the ZS7, SX210, etc). Sony's handheld twilight works quite well for non-moving objects in low light which would give Sony an edge if your subject is expected to be non-moving. You still can't get around science though. Without the bigger sensor and the brighter lens, you can't gather enough light to get the IQ of the other cams in low light.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:29 AM   #24

Thank U once again, so for this catagory I should go for The Nikon S8100 or the Sony HX5v or the Canon SD4500is ? The Sony's r availible here but nt the Canon or the Nikon. Any opinions on the new Sony WX5?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Thank U once again, so for this catagory I should go for The Nikon S8100 or the Sony HX5v or the Canon SD4500is ?
Well that's up to you. I don't personally think the small gains in low light w/ the CMOS pocket cams are worth the IQ hit you take in good light vs the CCD cams.

As for the WX5, no idea. I presume it's performance would be very similar to the HX5V.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:05 PM   #26

Thanx FiveO, actually it just happened that these were the latest models which incidently used cmos. Pl do recommend the one U think best in this range/catagory.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanx FiveO, actually it just happened that these were the latest models which incidently used cmos. Pl do recommend the one U think best in this range/catagory.
I think the ZS7 is the best overall in this category. My 2nd choice would probably be the SX210 despite the mediocre lens. If you specifically want CMOS, I am partial to the SD4500. The Nikon S8100 would probably be my next choice even though I'm skeptical of Nikon. Anything by Sony in this class goes at the bottom of my list, though I do like the DSC-HX1 in the ultrazoom category based on the image samples I have seen. I like Samsung's latest cams in this category in terms of IQ but I am not crazy about Samsung's colors (too neon-like for my tastes) and there seem to be a lot of issues with Samsung's firmware causing major problems.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
There is no pocketable low light camera with 10x zoom because it's just not physically possible for them to cram the sensor and 10x zoom lens into a camera that size. We all want that but it's just not physically possible.
Well, the HX5V does.
albi1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:25 AM   #29

HX5v doesn't have the larger 1/1.7" sensor which FiveO was referring to.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by albi1215 View Post
Well, the HX5V does.
No, it doesn't. The HX5V has a tiny 1/2.4" sensor, which is actually slightly smaller than the 1/2.33" from most of the competition and much smaller than the sensor size found on the S95, LX5, TL500, etc. Also, its lens only goes to F3.5 - so it has neither the larger sensor nor the brighter lens. Please check specifications before posting inaccurate info as it only confuses those researching cameras.

There are a slew of cameras on the market that promise low light performance but few actually deliver. The backlit CMOS used on the HX5V is 90% gimmick since you only gain a very small amount of low light ability but you have additional noise generated by the CMOS design - which then must be wiped out with noise reduction. Couple that with Sony's already heavy-handed noise reduction and detail becomes very heavily smeared.

Now as I said, the handheld twilight mode is good for stationary objects but as it combines 6 images taken in quick succession, it can't compensate for moving subjects. Sony's image stacking is the best on the market but it can't work miracles.