Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:38 AM   #31

If 1/2.4" is "tiny", how much larger is a 1/2.33" sensor, really? From just looking at the numbers, they both seem very small to me. Regardless, I've been very satisfied with the pictures my SD890IS makes out of its 1/2.33" sensor.

Happy Thanksgiving!
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:34 PM   #32

FiveO was referring to the larger sensor(1/1.7") on the S95,G12,LX5,TL500,P7000

Happy Thanksgiving everybody
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If you specifically want CMOS, I am partial to the SD4500.
FiveO,
How would you respond to the (so many) reviews by customers who report blurry images with this camera? I asked another (professional) internet reviewer (not to say you do this for a living, but you certainly seem to know your stuff), and he simply said that these people have no clue how to take pictures, or judge the quality of what they shoot (e.g. perhaps comparing them to SLR quality). I wonder what you say about this.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg31 View Post
FiveO,
How would you respond to the (so many) reviews by customers who report blurry images with this camera? I asked another (professional) internet reviewer (not to say you do this for a living, but you certainly seem to know your stuff), and he simply said that these people have no clue how to take pictures, or judge the quality of what they shoot (e.g. perhaps comparing them to SLR quality). I wonder what you say about this.
Well without knowing the details and seeing the EXIF for these photos, I couldn't say for certain but in most cases, it is a matter of people not understanding the basics oh photography. Now I am certainly no pro - more of a point and shooter actually - but I do understand basic camera settings and what they mean to the final image.

In most cases, the blurriness is due to using auto mode in poor lighting or with moving objects. The SD4500 lacks both the sensor and the brighter lens needed for low light. A few things can happen with the camera in auto mode. The camera could select too slow a shutter speed for a handheld shot. Shutter speed is slowed to gather more light but the result is that the camera has to be held very still - in some cases too still for handheld shots.

Another possibility is that the camera has jacked up the ISO to increase sensitivity. P&S pocket cams don't handle high ISO well - images are usually very noisy, muddy, soft, etc - good for small prints at best. Some people confuse this for blurriness.

A lot of people don't realize that "low light" includes their living room or the local restaurant. Check the table here. Note that full, indirect sunlight is about 200x brighter than your average family's living room.

"Low light mode" rarely does much to help b/c it will usually do 1 of a few things. The most common way these cams do it is through pixel binning which may, for example, output a 2.5MP image instead of a 10MP image. Another way is through image stacking. The camera will take a number of shots at various exposures in quick succession and stack them. Even the Sony cams, which are the best at this method, can't compensate for more than very slight movement within the shot without serious blurring.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:18 PM   #35

Just curious - can that lack of sensor size be alleviated at all by the use of a larger aperture lens, like in the Sony DSC-WX5 (1/2.3" CMOS sensor, f2.4-f5.9 aperture, 5X zoom)?
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Just curious - can that lack of sensor size be alleviated at all by the use of a larger aperture lens, like in the Sony DSC-WX5 (1/2.3" CMOS sensor, f2.4-f5.9 aperture, 5X zoom)?
Absolutely. A 1/1.7" sensor plus a f2.0 lens is best in this class, but the camera you mentioned would show some notable improvement in low light over say a f3.4 pocket cam. The Canon SD4000 is another consideration w/ a 1/2.3" sensor and an f2.0 lens.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:43 PM   #37

What abt Samsung TL500? Gd review from steve and prob the best priced prosumer P&S? TL500 v/s S95? and the winner is .................................................. ......................?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
What abt Samsung TL500? Gd review from steve and prob the best priced prosumer P&S? TL500 v/s S95? and the winner is .................................................. ......................?
S95 and LX5 are always ranked ahead of the TL500 in terms of IQ but honestly it's probably a marginal difference. The TL500 is the cheapest as you said and it actually has the brightest lens throughout the focal range. On the down side, I think Samsung is the poorest of the 3 at handling noise and personally find their colors to be a bit neon-like. Still, I'd certainly try one out if the price was right.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:22 PM   #39

Is S95 in the same league as G12,LX5,TL500?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Is S95 in the same league as G12,LX5,TL500?
Yes...same sensor as the G12 and a f/2.0 on the wide end, G12 is f/2.8 on the wide end if I am not mistaken...The S95 is super sharper and renders very accurate colors...great manual control...color accent setting is awesome...
It is lacking in Macro's slightly as it has trouble focusing really close to a subject...still takes great macros, just a little finicky with trying to back focus at times...for everything else it is super...
Handheld No PP...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...le-photos.html
Handheld...minimal PP...crop for composition...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...95-macros.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote