Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Is S95 in the same league as G12,LX5,TL500?
Brighter lenses on the LX5/TL500 throughout the focal range but in terms of IQ, the S95 is right alongside them and even ahead of the TL500. In terms of low light, at the wide end it has equal performance but loses some ground to the LX5/TL500 as it progresses through the focal range.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:37 PM   #42

How much better is the G12 in overall performance than the S95 ? If one was to rate P&S's what would b the top 10 list?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:46 PM   #43

You still haven't decided? And I thought I was bad.

I don't think the G12 is that much better than the S95. I think the lens is a little better and obviously the G12 has features that are more in line with the LX5.

I don't think you can rate the top 10 P&S fairly b/c there are so many sub-classes within that category. I think the LX5/G12/S95 are the best high end cameras in the class, though I think the TL500/EX1 comes close. Nikon's P7000 has the IQ but has so many other issues I don't think I'd put it alongside the rest. I think Panasonic's ZS series is the most versatile and has some of the best IQ of the smaller sensor cameras. The Casio series is best if you need a truly fast burst mode. And then there are other choices if video is your #1 priority. No matter how much you spend, you can't have the best of everything in a small cam like this.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:55 PM   #44

If you still haven't decided, I'm curious if you've completely written off the Sony WX5 and HX5V. I've been using them for a while on a trial basis, and once I got accustomed to the idiosyncrasies of letting Sony doing all the processing, I'm surprised by the pictures they produce. I may very well end up with one of them.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:11 PM   #45

Sorry to highjack this tread, but I too am looking for a pocketable camera. Nwtim do you have any pics taken with either? How is the shutterlag, and indoor performance?

Is it easy to use? I get from your post that it world pretty automated is that correct? I want it for my mom so great auto is required.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:47 PM   #46

Was still trying to get the best possible in the p&s category FiveO. However I have narrowed it down to Nikon S8100.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Sorry to highjack this tread, but I too am looking for a pocketable camera. Nwtim do you have any pics taken with either? How is the shutterlag, and indoor performance?

Is it easy to use? I get from your post that it world pretty automated is that correct? I want it for my mom so great auto is required.
The HX5V is very easy to use but I have to disagree on the IQ. I think the IQ of the HX5V is pretty bad for anything above 5x7 prints. Indoor performance is bad at any size unless you want to shoot inanimate objects, in which case you can use handheld twilight.

I've had the HX5V for about 8 months and it is the worst digital camera I have ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Was still trying to get the best possible in the p&s category FiveO. However I have narrowed it down to Nikon S8100.
Well if you just want the best IQ with no consideration for anything else, then the answer is easy imho: LX5/G12/S95. I would probably put the S8100 in the top 10 though.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:50 PM   #48

The S95 is the best pocketable P&S period...IQ...lens...control...Marine Case...Creativeness...Low Light...the only thing close is the Panny ZS Series for IQ...Control...Marine Case...Marginal Low Light...the best Macros are from the ZS Series period...none better...

Panny LX Series is great but less than pocketable for size...I have a friend that has one and he uses his ZS7 much more than the LX3...

I sent the HX5V back also...it couldn't even take a decent macro with detail...very smearing...

The G12 is sharper in some parts of the photos while the S95 is sharper in others...something you can't see without going to pixel level...and the size alone of the G12 is a put off...

Last edited by LTZ470; Dec 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:15 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The HX5V is very easy to use but I have to disagree on the IQ. I think the IQ of the HX5V is pretty bad for anything above 5x7 prints. Indoor performance is bad at any size unless you want to shoot inanimate objects, in which case you can use handheld twilight.

I've had the HX5V for about 8 months and it is the worst digital camera I have ever owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
I sent the HX5V back also...it couldn't even take a decent macro with detail...very smearing...
Perhaps Sony has a quality control issue or something, because the HX5V I've been trying out doesn't seem like it could be the same camera being described here. I'll agree that most of the HX5V photos aren't as sharp as I'm accustomed to getting with my Canon cameras, or even as good as those of its WX5 cousin. Nevertheless, it's a versatile and fun camera to use and many of the photos I've gotten would make fine 8 x 10 prints. Its video is considerably better than that of the Nikon S8100 and the zoom is smoother and easier to control than the ZS6 I used for a week. It's got its weaknesses to be sure, but the harsh criticism seems difficult to reconcile.

Maybe I'm just not picky enough. I shot a quick macro tonight with the HX5V and it seems fine to me. The first image has been resized to 1024 x 768 for posting and the second is a 100% crop from the original photo. Perhaps this is a lousy macro by the standards of the more discerning...
Attached Images

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 8, 2010 at 3:18 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 3:36 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post

The WX5 is a little small for bigger hands, but it takes nicer photos and it's had a couple nice features added since it came out about 6 months after the HX5V. I really like the background defocus function made possible by the f2.4 aperture lens, and I've found the scene modes simpler to navigate and locate than on the HX5V. Both of them make it super easy to play a slideshow (photos and videos included) with selectable music from the camera directly to a TV. The HX5V even includes the adapter needed to use any standard HDMI cable. The only ways the WX5 falls short of the HX5V is the 5X zoom (compared to 10X) and the quite small battery (rated for 230 shots). There's a nice review of the WX5 at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/WX5/WX5A.HTM.