Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:27 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
in the pocket zoom category, my clear choice would be the Canon SD-4500.

Sarah Joyce
I was taking a close look at that and almost pulled the trigger on it. I believe Costco carries it on their online site (I haven't seen it in their stores) so I think I will now. Thanks for the tip! The only problem is that it looks like the battery's only rated for 150 shots and the zoom is 36mm-360mm - not a very wide angle.

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:57 PM   #62

Tim-

You are correct, the battery is currently the weak link. But I am willing to purchase an extra battery.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:06 PM   #63

What abt my query regarding the "top5" 10x zoom p&s's?
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Since everybody has different expectations and experiences with these cameras, any list is going to be quite subjective.

One thing I've found to be helpful over the years when looking at IQ is to use Imaging-Resource's Comparometer and look at various images each camera is capable of producing. For example, I selected a Canon D7 as a reference on the left half of the window and selected various cameras I was curious about on the right. You could also simply put two cameras you're interested in side-by-side and see which camera's images you prefer.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 5:31 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Top 5 overall? Top 5 IQ? Top 5 what? There is no Top 5 for "best camera period." If there was, nearly everyone would own them.

Panasonic ZS7/ZS6: My #1 pick for an overall 10x+ zoom camera. Very good IQ, great set of features, solid build, fun and easy to use w/ great auto mode. Has some of the usual Panny color cast problems in certain situations.

Canon SD4500: Good IQ; bit softer than the ZS7 images but I do love those Canon colors. Would have been nice if it had a better wide angle.

Samsung HZ35W/30W: Very good IQ, great build quality, a little big but still pocketable. Great screen and better AWB indoors than much of the competition. Samsung's firmware is a little buggy as always and the colors are a little too neon-like imho.

Other honorable mentions: Canon SX210, Ricoh CX3, Fujifilm FinePix F80 EXR, Casio Exilim EX-FH100, Nikon S8100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Since everybody has different expectations and experiences with these cameras, any list is going to be quite subjective.
Exactly.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:19 PM   #66

The Samsung HZ35W really has a decrease in IQ when the ISO is advanced beyond ISO 400. The Canon SD-4500, although it has images that are a tad soft does maintain IQ above ISO 400, and some websites are showing photos at ISO 3200.

In contrast, the HZ15W with less zoom does fairly well at high ISO settings:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...7_yM5fH-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote