Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:42 AM   #1

Default Best pocketable compact (min 5x zoom)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a pocketable zoom camera with the best possible picture quality from a P&S(with & without flash). I already have a Pani FZ35, and Kodak Z915. Any suggestions in this catagory? (e.g Canon S95,SX130is,SD4500is,Nikon S8100,SonyWX5, Fuji 300/200exr,Panasonic TZ10/ZS7,Samsung TL500,WB2000,Pentax,Olympus,Casio etc)
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:12 AM   #2

Canon S95...you can use the digital zoom @ 1.4X or 2.8X?...doesn't do too bad of a job...It does have excellent picture quality if you know how to manually adjust it...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:51 AM   #3

If size was less of an issue, there would be a few more choices but if pocketability is a must (and it was for me also), the S95 for sure. I'm enjoying mine.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:23 PM   #4

Thank U FiveO and LTZ470. Now with S95 as the established no1 where can v place Sony WX5, Nikon S8100 and Pani TZ10? Any suggestions for a pocketable with a bigger zoom?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:37 PM   #5

Well it depends on your needs I suppose. The TZ10 would probably be my next choice (and it was - I own one of those also) for IQ and versatility. However, the S8100 will do slightly better in low light and if I recall correctly, it does 1080p video which is nice. I also prefer Nikon's color rendition to both Panasonic and Sony. I don't like Sony's excessive NR nor do I have a lot of faith in their build quality so I would personally rank that 3rd out of these 3.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:38 PM   #6

OK,I have narrowed down my choices toTZ10,Nikon S8100 or Sony HX5V or WX5. Which one gives max bang for the buck ?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:49 PM   #7

TZ10 will give you sharper photos and better IQ overall than the S8100 imho, but the S8100 will have slightly better low light performance and also offers 1080p video. Once again, I just don't like Sony's current lineup (or even recent lineup) of pocket cams.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:31 PM   #8

5-O is right on the money TZ10 is the next camera...we own two of those also with excellent IQ...just challenging in lower light...but it can be done...
Go to the Panasonic P&S forum and search ZS7 you will find every kind of photo that you can imagine with excellent results...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:12 PM   #9

Actually I was inclining towards Nikon S8100 or the Sony WX5.Reasons r nothing more than that I already have a Pani(FZ35) and want a different brand if I can with xcellent IQ overall with or without flash and pocketable.Secondly Pani's r difficult to find where I live. Here the going brands r Nikon,Canon,Olympus,Sony,Fuji and Samsung. I would have bought CanonS95 but here it costs almost as much as Epl 1. So might as well go for the olympus but it's nt pocketable.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:51 PM   #10

Well you have our feedback. None of the CMOS cameras will give what I would call "excellent IQ" but the trade-off might be worth it to you for the video. I think that you can get "pretty good" IQ though.