Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:44 PM   #11

The 35mm 1.8 is the 200 dollar lens, if you wanted to get closer, it gets allot more expensive with the nikon d5000.

a 50 1.4 is 450 dollars, the canon 50 1.4 is 330 dollars.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:36 AM   #12

35m and 50mm lenses are too short for what you want to do. That is, they have too wide an angle of view for you to be able to frame tight enough for you to recognize the faces of the competitors. You could use either of the Canon 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2.0, and possibly the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 or the Canon or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, depending how far away you'll be.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:23 AM   #13
Super Moderator

When I shoot TKD I use an 85mm f1.8 lens, I have to work from further back to get the framing, but it looks nicer due to compressing what is behind the fighters and also you get a more shallow depth of field making the background more blurred. I find that f2.8 simply isn't fast enough for TKD if you want to get close to freezing kicks etc. Only one event I've shot had good enough lighting to happily use f2.8 but that was an international under 21 so used a much better venue. There I still used the 85mm f1.8 on the 7D but had the 70-200mm f2.8 on my 5DmkII which can use higher ISOs much better.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:32 PM   #14

Ahh well, great to hear from someone that has taken photos. Sounds like the equipment needed is out of my budget. All of our tournaments are in gym's so the lighting is not the best. I am not a camera person but from my research it looked like I was pushing what mid level equipment would do. In a year or two I wont be up for Open class anymore and Ill have more time for photos anyway.

For now I should spend the time hanging with the family and cheering them on.

Thanks for your time.
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:45 PM   #15

The T1i can shoot the tkd, but you need to match it with the right lens. the ef 85 1.8 or if you are close the ef 50 1.4 will work, they are in the 350 dollar range.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:52 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Yes, even the 50mm f1.8 will work on the budget as long as you have enough light. The good thing about TKD is that your distance to subject isn't moving too much so blistering fast AF isn't essential (but nice).

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:59 PM   #17
Administrator

What kind of budget do you have?

Another model you may want to look at is the new Sony A580. It just started shipping (available now at some dealers). It's $799 for body only or $899 for a kit including an 18-55mm lens.

This thread reminded me of a review I was looking at this morning that included some martial arts photos. If you scroll down on this page to the sample images section (past the videos), you'll see two of them. The first one is at 1/800 second, f/3.2 and ISO 6400.

The second one is at 1/800 second, f/3.2 and ISO 3200. It's underexposed compared to the first one, probably because they were using spot metering on white (bad idea) from what I can tell from the EXIF in the full size originals.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&no=193

You can click on the JPEG link below an image to see a full size copy.

It looks like they were using a Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM lens with it (set 1/3 stop down from wide open at f/3.2).

That looks about like the lighting you'd find here in school gyms (as I usually get around 1/400 second at f/2.8 and ISO 3200 in school gyms the when I've shot basketball in them here (something I don't do very often); and I see they got good exposure in the first image using f/3.2 (only 1/3 stop dimmer) at ISO 6400 (twice as sensitive as ISO 3200) with 1/800 second shutter speed. Their second image using ISO 3200 is underexposed. But, that was their camera settings (trying to use Spot Metering, when the camera is going to default to Multi-Segment).

Depending on the print/viewing sizes needed, you may find ISO 6400 to be acceptable and you can get a Sony 85mm f/2.8 SAM DT lens for approx. $225 from Sonystyle.com ).

So, that kind of kit would set you back around $1125.

~$900 for a Sony A580 with 18-55mm kit lens (for walk around use).
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...8&N=4294951458

~$225 for a Sony 85mm f/2.8 lens for lower light use
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666254697

But, if you wanted a brighter 85mm prime compared to the Sony 85mm f/2.8, Canon and Nikon both have lower price options (Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D). But note that the 85mm Nikkor would not Autofocus on the D3100 and D5000 bodies you're looking at (you need a D90 or higher body for AF using one). In the Sony lineup, you'd need to move to an even brighter Sony/Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 (that will run you around $1495) if you wanted an 85mm prime that's brighter than f/2.8

It looks like you could probably pick up a Canon T1i kit with the same focal lengths for around $1080

~$700 for a T1i including an 18-55mm IS kit lens for walk around use

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._T1i_500D.html
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T1i-Digi.../dp/B001XURPQS

~$380 for a Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html

The Canon 85mm is brighter (f/1.8 versus the Sony's f/2.8). But, the Sony does have some advantages in other areas (for example, faster frame rate, fast Autofocus when using Live View).

If you can get real close, both systems have inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lenses available ($124.95 for the Sony right now at sonystyle.com, and $99.95 for the Canon right now at vendors like bhphotovideo.com).

As already mentioned, another option would be to go refurbished (Adorama.com has some Canon and Nikon kits that way).

I've never shot Martial Arts. But, I can see what Mark is referring to as for needing faster shutter speeds for kicks (as I see some blur in one of the feet in those samples, even at 1/800 second). So, to get shutter speeds that fast in similar lighting, figure using ISO 3200 at around f/2, or ISO 6400 at around f/2.8.

Last edited by JimC; Nov 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Note... corrected Canon 85mm prices
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:28 PM   #18

Wow, thanks for all the research. I have some reading to do!

Someone said that lenses tend to hold their value, is this true? If so I could see spending more for a lens, its kind of a case of spend it now or spend it later and the boys are not getting any younger.

When I started the budget was around $1000 for camera and lens. Might see spending a bit more for the lens now though.

Just dont want to get something that will almost do what I want. That would seem the biggest mistake.

Thanks again fellows, I am getting quite an education with your guidance.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:32 PM   #19

yeah lenses do hold their value longer since unless mistreated they will be used years and years after you camera you got them for has died - a camera body, 1-4 years, a lens is for life =) (unless they change mount on ya.........wonder who would do such a nasty thing hehehe)

as an example the Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4, now this lens isn't even autofocus its that old and you would be very lucky to get your hands on a copy today for less than a $1000 - is a fantastic lens though - would love one but i cant afford that for a lens that i would use only for few specific cases - the newer version with autofocus (also not availble new anymore) i might used more but its also very expensive and i have heard that optically its not quite as good - almost but not quite
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:44 AM   #20

Are these sites useful?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor

http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/canon_bodies

easier to spend money on a camera if I know it will do what I want. (well what I in my beginning knowledge can get the equipment to do)