Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:59 PM   #21

Hi there, I would like to suggest Nikon D90,Canon t2i with the choice of lenses above or the Pentax k-x($600) or k-r($900) with the 18-55 and 55-300(price quoted includes the 2 lenses).K-r(my personal favourite) is the latest mid-level entry from Pentax released in Sept 10.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:01 PM   #22

dxo site gives a scietific value to sensor performance but the differences aren't as big as you might imagine - you can get a good image from just about any DSLR infact not just about EVERY dslr - if you couldn't there wouldn't be anyone using them

as for lens rental - its a good way to test gear before buying it if its a big purchase and your not 100% sure - also if you need something for a specific shoot but dont want to buy it for just that occasion then rental is the obvious choice - same if you've been commisioned to photograph some event and dont have a backup camera then might make sense to hire backup if you can afford the outlay for a backup gear

but it doesn't make finacial sense to just rent a camera all the time - would end up costing mroe than buying and you'd hyave nothing to show for it at the end
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:26 PM   #23

Thank you I had more in mind trying a couple of models of cameras/lens and seeing if I can get good Tae Kwon Do shots. From what folks here are saying indoor sports shots are challenging and expensive. Right now I dont have much confidence I can get the shots I want under the conditions I have.

The folks with experience can with more expensive equipment than I am likely to afford (for now).

Kind of a chicken and egg problem, If I had a friend with the equipment I probably would not be bothering you folks. Hopefully this thread will also be helpful to some other folks.

Thanks I always thought "rent to own" was silly. However before I bought my last car I rented different models from the dealership for weekend trips, really helped to bad I cant do that locally with camera's.
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:41 PM   #24

You could go with a T1i kit and 50 F1.4 for $1050. If you are that close it work. It will shoot to ISO 3200 (6400 with some good noise reduction) pretty well and the F1.4 lens is much better than the F1.8.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:43 PM   #25

or you need more reach, the ef 85 1.8 or the ef 100 f2 should work also.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:02 PM   #26

renting out several cameras to test and compare sounds a good idea but total up the costs and likely you could buy a camera for that money

might be cheaper to buy from amazon - think they give a 30day return period - quickly test them and send back the one your not happy with (not sure though they might not let you send them back if you've opened the box - better check that first)

but what it comes down to is fast lenses/good high iso - combination of both and your set - the rest comes down to your skill as a photographer possibly with a side order of photoshop skills =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:53 PM   #27

Thank you Mr Pattullo, Im keeping that in mind. Im trying to buy locally since I will need local guidance but I notice Costco has a few of the cameras I am looking at and they have a good return policy.

I know I dont have the skills but I think I can develop them as long as I am not buying a pinto to do a racecar s job.

Thank you for you advice, gets tempting to look at better and better gear as I get into this. Perfection is the enemy of good enough (I used to be an engineer)
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote