Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Want Camera to take photos at Tae Kwon Do tournaments

Hello,

I currently have a Cannon Powershot sd780.

My family studies Tae Kwon Do and participate in tournaments. Photos taken with point and shoots (the Cannon and others I have borrowed) do not capture the action (Im sure some of it is the operator).

My boys (8 and 11) also play soccer, and basket ball.

My understanding is that for indoor (low light) and non blurry action I need a fast shutter speed and lenses that take in a lot of light.

I am considering upgrading to a D SLR camera. I have only used point and shoots.

The goal is to be able to take reasonable action shots in indoor light. Best would be if my family could learn to use it as well. Video is not important we have a fine digital camera. Camera store folks are steering me towards Nikon D3100 with a 1:1.8 lens (or D5000) also mentioned a NX100.

I would enjoy suggestions for where to learn more and models to look at.

Suggestions? Thank you for your help.
drake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:59 PM   #2

How about a Canon T1i with kit lens for under $600 at BHphotovideo? Then add a Canon EF 50 mm - F/1.8 for about $100 from the same place.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:19 PM   #3

Thank you I will start looking at it. Most of the sources I have found talk mostly about Nikon. This is the kind of help I need. I know enough to know I dont know enough to know what questions to ask or where to look.

Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:22 PM   #4

Much better in price than $700 for the D3100 and 200 for a lens. Looks like there are nice remotes as well. Im sure I can make a remote from a shutter release for the Nikon but nice to have it available.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:35 PM   #5

which 1.8 lens are you looking at for the nikon?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:37 PM   #6

If you were looking at the af 50 1.8 that is 120 dollars, it will not Auto Focus on the d3100. And the 190 dollar 35mm 1.8 will be way to short for what you want to shoot tkd.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:45 PM   #7

indoor sports might want a 70-200mm f2.8 lens but not cheap (tamron version is cheap but autofocus is to slow for sports)

canon 550d might a possible - not sure if its autofocus is upto indoor sport action or not but generally canon has good autofocus - assuming it is (sure someone here will tell you) then the 18mp gives you extra room for cropping too and has pretty good low light performance

realistically unless they are letting you very close to the action then a fast 50mm is probably going to be to short but maybe with cropping the images it would work certainly the extra light will let you get the faster shutter speeds needed to stop the action

the other option (if allowed at such events) would be a flash that makes lens choice much easier and cheaper
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:03 PM   #8

Yes the 550D or 500D will shoot well for indoor action. I shoot very low light indoor swing dancing, and the 500D has no issues with it.

With the tkd, you may be able to get away with a 85mm 1.8 prime lens. Or a 100mm F2 lens. This is a less expensive option then the 70-200 2.8, and depending on the light, 2.8 may still be to dark. The kit lenses will not be able to give you good action results. Can we assume that no flash is allow.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:41 PM   #9

I am learning what I wrote down from the fellow I was talking to is 35mm 1.8 (is that the correct way to note it?) quoted at $200. Since at our tournaments I can get to the side of the ring I do not need to shoot over long distances.

Flash would be discouraged at all events (breaking, forms and sparring) due to the possibility of distracting someone.

Thank you Shoturtle and John
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:44 PM   #10

What do you mean by short?