Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
you are not getting a lens with the d7000 for 1500 dollars
I don't know how much it is where the OP lives but in the USA you can
get the Nikon bundled D7k Kit with the 18-105 for MSRP of $1499 USD
from Adorama...

http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000K1.html

Adorama also has other bundle deals with different lenses and accessories...

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/De...FRRqgwodqxXxIA

I would imagine Amazon, B&H, KEH, etc would also have competative deals
though right now at Amazon all you will find are the chissler companys scalping
extra money because of the low supply...

Once Nikon gets sufficient stock to all the dealers the price will probably even
come down, especially for the holidays...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:44 AM   #12

Good Morning Edwin,

Welcome to the Forum. On your second set of cameras, from what I have observed and read - the Pentax K5 is - for the most part, the superior camera. Its weakest point is autofocusing for sports (fast moving objects). Its autofocusing is very much improved over the prior Pentax models, however still not quite as good as with the Canon and Nikon.

That said, the K5's image quality, dynamic range, coloring, and ability to shoot in very low light is beyond both the 60D and D7000. DXO's numbers (from RAW) bear this out.

The pricing of the K5 body here in the US is right at $1500, so I do not know how that would fit in your budget with the prices available in Sweden.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:37 AM   #13

Thanks for the reply. Pentax K-5 prices in Sweden:

Pentax K-5, body only: $1650
Pentax K-5, 18-55: $1750
Pentax K-5, 18-55 + 50 200: $1950
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:37 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Which is why I'd choose the D90. You're planning on keeping the camera for 5 years, so surely the fact that it was state-of-the-art 3 months ago won't stop you from buying it now?

D90 + 18-105 VR is < kr9000.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:20 PM   #15

Hi there, I too am a novice so wouldn't b competing against the xperts but do also consider the Pentax K-r with the 18-55 & 55-300 lens around $925. It just came out and have heard only gd abt it yet. I am definitely nt saying that it is better than those mentioned above but it should give U max bang for the buck. However Nikon and Canon have a much more variety of lens availible for further future additions.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:14 PM   #16

It is more in the EU with the vat and swedish taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
I don't know how much it is where the OP lives but in the USA you can
get the Nikon bundled D7k Kit with the 18-105 for MSRP of $1499 USD
from Adorama...

http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000K1.html

Adorama also has other bundle deals with different lenses and accessories...

http://www.adorama.com/SearchSite/De...FRRqgwodqxXxIA

I would imagine Amazon, B&H, KEH, etc would also have competative deals
though right now at Amazon all you will find are the chissler companys scalping
extra money because of the low supply...

Once Nikon gets sufficient stock to all the dealers the price will probably even
come down, especially for the holidays...
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:21 PM   #17

i think the OP from the sounds of things is not going to be phased by a more advanced camera so i would keep your eye open for the

60d
d7000
k5

problem is that budget is very tight on these cameras with at least a 18-200mm range hell even body only

of the 3 the 60d is probably the weakest when it comes to build quality being plastic - the d7000 is pretty gooding being partially magnesium alloy shell - and the k5 coming in fully magnesium alloy shell

the d7000 is also partially weather sealed but think nikon has a limited range of lenses that are sealed so not sure how much use that will be - the k5 is pretty solidly sealed if my k7 is anything to go by - have had it under the shower to clean it off - been out in the pouring rain with it etc and it does come with a weather sealed kit lens and the entire DA* range of lenses are sealed but you do pay a premium for those - though seems most of pentax's newer lenses they are bringing out all have a redimentary weather sealing installed

all that said dispite wanting to keep your camera for quite some time you might have no inclination to shoot in adverse weather

overall if weather sealing is not a priority the d7000 would be the obvious choice as it gives you room to progress and improve and shouldn't be limiting in any way - has good iso and dynamic range, reasonably quick fps, good autofocus and fair few megapixels - what more could you ask for?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:26 PM   #18

it may be plastic, but it is actually a very well made camera. I got a chance to play with it, and it is nicer the the d90 that have been suggested. And is the only one that will meet the budget from the advance camera base on the location of the OP.

You can get the 60D with the 18-55 for just under 1000 euros in germany, at the current exchange rate it is about 1400 dollar, and the 18-135 for 1300 euros. Unless the OP is planning to buy it in the States, we may want to think in euros with the current 1.42 exchange rate.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:38 PM   #19

agree palstic doesn't nessarily make it worse but with an expected life of 5 years needed an alloy body would seem to be desireable

not sure about in sweeden but 60d/d7000/k5 prices are all pretty similar so figured would be about the same everywhere

edit: ohh just checked the 60d prices again since i last checked they have plummeted by over 200 guess that does make it the most obvious contender since should be able to get a lens or two with it too
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Nov 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 4:39 PM   #20

the body of the 60d is actually better weather seal then the older 50d with the metal body. It will last 5 years. I you get a chance to handle it, you can tell that it is a very well made camera.