Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes, but the the tamron 70-300 is not a great lens, neither is the 18-200, the 18-270 is not out for the pentax or sony yet. And for canon or nikon, the 18-270 is stabilized.
How good is Tamron 18-270 for Nikon/canon? anything to trust for a more or less all around lens?
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:04 PM   #32

it is one of the better megazoom lenses, not as good as 2 separate lenses covering the about the same distance. But I have almost brought it couple of time for my canon. But I keep stopping myself, as my lens combinations were better. So I really like this megazoom.

Now if you were looking that the tamron 70-300mm LD VC that is a good lens, but it is only available on nikon and canon, and it is stabilized.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:20 PM   #33

should be noted that nikon dont do a stablised wide to normal zoom lens with a fast aperture which i personally think is one of the most used and versatile lens you will ever own - so if you want stablised one your looking at consumer grade lens with slower aperture

as for pentax - the lens line up isn't quite so comprehensive but generally speaking they have everything you gonna need from ultrawide fisheye zooms to telephoto primes - actually have one of the best aps-c lens lines up since they design lenses exculsively for aps-c now not full frame so you get the traditional full frame lens in aps-c equivalents

and if you have lots of spare cash the FA limited primes are considered to be outstanding lenses but you really do pay through the nose for them - think they are the only lens pentax still making that are designed for full frame cameras

about the only area pentax line up breaks down is that pentax made lens stop at 300mm for now (is unstubsatiated rumours of a 400mm lens coming soon but wouldn't hold my breath on that one) but are 3rd party options for upto about 500mm and if you want to hunt them out and have lots of cash to spare then there are some old FA lens out out to about 600mm and generally they are outstanding lenses but they are rare

anyway i never found lens a problem shooting pentax and the new k5 does look rather nice piece of kit but any of those 3 cameras should serve you - i wouldn't look at anything below them though as you will likely feel quite quickly that the camera is limiting - i basically jumped in at the same level you are going for and never felt that the extra controls made learning at all difficult if anything was nice having the controls more accessable to experiment with

i'm not sure if there are any stores around that you can test all the cameras at but each has its own distinct ergonomics to it

the canon is quite different with the rear dial being a wheel around the 4 way controller - to me that doesn't feel natural - the nikon and pentax are similar but slight difference depending on your hands and preference - basically the dial on the back of the pentax is further intoward the middle of the camera and i find for me it falls more naturally under my thumb that those on the nikons which is close to the edge of the camera - so think about that and try and get a hold of the cameras as nothing worth than using a camera that just doesn't feel right in your hands
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:31 PM   #34

one more thing to note, when you go try the cameras out at the store. Bring a sdhc card with you. If you shoot RAW not as big of a deal, but if you shot jpeg. You might prefer on camera's processing better then another. So taking photos at the store, and bring them home, will let you exam the photos more carefully on a larger monitor.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
one more thing to note, when you go try the cameras out at the store. Bring a sdhc card with you. If you shoot RAW not as big of a deal, but if you shot jpeg. You might prefer on camera's processing better then another. So taking photos at the store, and bring them home, will let you exam the photos more carefully on a larger monitor.
set the camera to record raw and jpeg then can check both at home - on that note though its subjective thing and you can setup cameras jpeg processing but i think the canon jpeg engine gives a more punchy result by default so if you like that look too and only ever intend to shoot jpeg the canon does produce nice colours and contrast by default
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:05 PM   #36

This is completely subjective, as everyone likes different things. But that is something the end user needs to decide, RAW is not as big of a deal, as you can do allot in PP. But not everyone is into that much editing.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:17 AM   #37

Hi again

I was in the Media Markt store yesterday, and I found all of the discussed cameras there

- I love all of them, 605, d7000 and K-5
- I loved K-5 more becuase of the less size/wieght
- I don't like the idea of tilt screen of 60D, it can be broken easily I guess
- D7000 seemed heavier in hand than the other two, my girlfriend protested immediately lol, she liked K-5 as it suits her size more
- I found the layout and placement of buttons on D7000 and K-5 more straightforward than 60D. I could easily found everything though it was first time I held them all
- 60D was cheaper than the other two, though...

I tried to take some photos with all of them, and all three were excellent. I couldn't compare image qualities as I didn't have any big screen in the shop to do so...

Prices in Media Markt:

60D with 18-55: $1600
K-5 with 18-55: $1900
D7000 with 18-55: $2050

and I also tried 550D and D3100 and D90... I also liked them too, but it feels immediately that the first three are more robust, well-built and look more professional than the later three. prices for the later three:

550D with 18-55: $1000
D3100 with 18-55 II (non VR): $730
D90 with 18-105 VR: $1300

One more think I need to add, maybe it affects your recommendations...I have decided that I am going to shoot much less sport/action scenes...I am thinking more of portrait and wild life, nature, party photography and occasional walking/street photo...

so, friends, what do you think?

regards
Edwin

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM.
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:58 AM   #38

knock the d3100 out, it is out class by the other camera. If you shoot jpeg, you can not shoot a ev bracket. And it is even a bigger problem if you want to get into HDR

The lcd on the 60D will not break easy. It is a well design swivel like the panasonic m4/3 camera. And it is very high resolution. That design has been uses for a long time with camcorders.

I would go with the 60D is you shoot action, and use the saving to add a second lend. the 1 lens is very limiting. with the canon the ef 70-300mm if you do shoot action, or the ef-s 55-250 would give you a good 2 lens kit for general photography.

Same between the 550d and d90. Use the saving for another lens. Same lenses to consider.

The ef 70-300 is a good outdoor action action lens. If for indoor action it can get very expensive. 70-200 2.8 lenses are very expensive.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:38 AM   #39
Super Moderator

Best value is the D90 + 18-105 VR. Very good lens, and gives you a bunch of extra cash to get something like the 70-300 VR lens to go with it. As a general rule you're better off weighting your spending towards lenses with a slightly less impressive body.

However there is no doubt that the K-5 is a fantastic camera, and in your shoes probably the one I would choose. In-body stabilisation, excellent weather sealing, smaller size, incredibly quiet shutter, and the highest APS-C sensor rating DXO has ever given make it a brilliant choice atm.

And do not underestimate the importance of the girlfriend's reaction. :-)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:59 AM   #40

I would look at the review of dpr as they d7000, k-5 and 60d are actually closer then the dxo test show. Each was strongest in certain things. They are all very good cameras as the comparison shows.

http://dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60d/page17.asp