Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:10 AM   #41
Super Moderator

I don't any significant difference in the DPR v DXO results.

The main problem with DXO is that people don't bother to read how to interpret the tests properly then set up straw men to knock down.

In practice, even a 15-point difference in DXO score is not very significant most of the time, and certainly much less significant than properly exposing your shot for example.

But the fact remains that for now the K-5 + processing engine has the highest score of any APS-C sensor. And DXO is the ONLY site anywhere that can give an objective scientific measure of sensor + processor performance.

The main thing I take away from DXO is that from the 20D -> 60D/7D Canon sensors have improved hardly at all. 62-66 is not significant in real-world use. And the very new state-of-the-art K5/D7000 sensor is only 1 stop better, chiefly at ISO values > 800. Which is to say that in the real world, this will affect hardly any of your shots in any significant way.

Which is of course why I think that the D90 is now such incredibly good value.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:24 AM   #42

It rains a lot actually in Sweden... you have sunny days a lot less in a year... maybe you have only a total of 30 days when it is actually sunny, but still partially during a day.. maybe a total of 15 days with totally sunny during whole day...rest of year it is cloudy, or dark...and rainy and snowing...

so, now that I think, a weather sealed body is kind of important to me, and also, shooting in low light... maybe K-5 wins in this area? or is 60D also choice for these thoughts?

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 15, 2010 at 8:27 AM.
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:34 AM   #43

60d is also a good choice, it is better weather seal then the 50D, and will be fine in a light drizzle. But the other part is to get a weather seal lens. Not sure if the kit lens of the k-5 is weather sealed. canon is not.

I doubt you want to shoot in a downpour.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:41 AM   #44

for the price of the k-5 or the d7000, you may want to look at the canon 7D, that is the in aps-c follow closely by the d300.

But I look at the results of the dpr review, and they are all very close, the k-5 does clip allot of detail in jpeg to help with noise. The nikon is best is color transition. And the canon is best in pixel sharpness and detail retention. Each has it's strong points. The really is no clear leader.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:01 PM   #45

yeah the kit lens options for the k5 are all weather sealed

18-55mm
50-200mm
18-135mm

all sealed

as is the 100mm macro

and all the DA* lens

16-50mm
50-135mm
60-250mm

55mm
200mm
300mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
yeah the kit lens options for the k5 are all weather sealed

18-55mm
50-200mm
18-135mm
by that you mean I can use the camera and shoot in a rainy day, without worrying about the camera and lenses? This is a great feature if true...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Which is of course why I think that the D90 is now such incredibly good value.
nice photos on your blog, peripatetic...have you taken them with D90?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:17 PM   #48

yeah thats exactly what it means - all those lens are sealed - so when they are on the k5 or k7 they complete the weather seals - use of a non sealed lens obviously leaves a non waterproof entry point so the camera is only sealed when used with these lenses

i have put my k-7 in the shower to clean it off - i have shot in the pouring rain - and near waterfalls where the air is full of a fine mist - and didn't have to worry in the slightest, it is reasuring to know that your camera can take anything nature can throw at it

it is however not sealed for underwater use so dont get to carried away and trying going swimming with it
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:48 PM   #49

With canon all the l lenses are weather seal, and the 7D is wether seal. But the L lenses are in a completely different league.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
yeah thats exactly what it means - all those lens are sealed - so when they are on the k5 or k7 they complete the weather seals - use of a non sealed lens obviously leaves a non waterproof entry point so the camera is only sealed when used with these lenses

i have put my k-7 in the shower to clean it off - i have shot in the pouring rain - and near waterfalls where the air is full of a fine mist - and didn't have to worry in the slightest, it is reasuring to know that your camera can take anything nature can throw at it
I love it !! It should be a weather sealed camera for me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle
With canon all the l lenses are weather seal, and the 7D is wether seal. But the L lenses are in a completely different league.
does this mean that canon 60D can be as weather sealed as K-5? I suppose D7000 is partially weather sealed too, or is it out of the game on this feature?