Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:49 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

the 60d and d7000 are better weather seal, but they are not to the same level as a 7d, d300 or the k-5.

But there are simple camera overs that will let you shoot in downpours, which the pros uses with their pro camera when shooting a football game in a downpour which are weather seal camera and lenses. But the 50-200WR lens is not a great lens optically. So there is a trade off between the system. Better lens less water resistance. Or low quality for better weather sealing.

I will still give up some on the body, and get better optical lenses. They do way more for the photos then a the body.

The canon 60d with the ef-s 15-85mm IS USM is a fantastic setup.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 16, 2010 at 3:13 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:11 AM   #52
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyguru View Post
nice photos on your blog, peripatetic...have you taken them with D90?
Thanks. :-)

No, my DSLR kit has been Canon 20D, 5D, and currently 5DMkII.

Canon and Nikon both obviously make very good cameras, and have tremendously powerful systems.

In the early days of digital, say 2000-2006 or so Canon really had no significant competition and took huge market share. This combined with their tremendous lead in their range of lenses which held from probably 1995-2008 or so.

However. Today I would say that Nikon (narrowly) make better cameras than Canon at most price points, and their lens range has caught up, and the quality of their lenses has always been excellent.

There is only one market where Canon still have the winning formula, and that is the Canon 5DMkII. A tremendous all-rounder for wedding/portrait/landscape/photojournalism in relatively normal/easy photographic conditions. It's almost as good in low light as the Nikon D700 and almost as high resolution as the Sony A900, so it works in both roles. And it's price is very good. And of course once you have a set of lenses/flashes etc, you're not going to change systems if the other camp pulls just slightly ahead.

Pentax however are more of a niche player. But they are an excellent company with a long photographic heritage and healthy (though small) profits. They stuggled during the transition to digital, where they saw their lucrative MF business die off as the FF digital cameras ate up their market. First though they concentrated on getting some excellent APS-C cameras to market, of which the K-5 is the last and best in a good line over the last few years. And now they have released their new, excellently priced, Digital Medium Format system, and early signs are tremendously good.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...hoot_out.shtml

It's never a mistake choosing a Canon or Nikon camera, but I genuinely believe that Pentax have produced a tremendous camera in the K-5. And if I were living in Sweden the weather sealing alone would probably sway me to that system. However, the K-5 is incredibly good in every other respect too. Possibly it falls slightly short compared to the Canon/Nikon in AF performance, but that is speculation based on past performance, and besides, this is not the pro-level sports AF market. It's mid-range DSLRs we are talking about.

In your shoes I would certainly choose the K-5.

The only reason I recommend a careful look at the D90 is that it is an excellent camera, which is selling now at not much more than 50% of its price of 3 months ago and is therefore an incredible bargain, and will allow you to spend a bit more money on lenses.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 16, 2010 at 3:27 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:43 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the 60d and d7000 are better weather seal, but they are not to the same level as a 7d, d300 or the k-5.

But there are simple camera overs that will let you shoot in downpours, which the pros uses with their pro camera when shooting a football game in a downpour which are weather seal camera and lenses. But the 50-200WR lens is not a great lens optically. So there is a trade off between the system. Better lens less water resistance. Or low quality for better weather sealing.

I will still give up some on the body, and get better optical lenses. They do way more for the photos then a the body.

The canon 60d with the ef-s 15-85mm IS USM is a fantastic setup.
to be fair the 50-200mm is not a bad lens its just not as good as the 55-300mm and if you really want a good lens in that range then the obvious choice is the DA* 60-250mm which is part of the premium quality lens range

some examples from flickr taken with the da 50-200mm WR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4298411021/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/panoramafan/4924002979/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kmountmaniac/3800410409/
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:03 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

It is not a bad lens, but not a great lens. There are better lenses optically.

But if you thrown int the DA* lenses, they you need to compare them the canon's L, and their 70-200 and 70-300 are great optically.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:10 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

I would not say nikon makes a better camera then canon. They are pretty even in the high end aways going back and forth, but in the aps-c, canon do make the better entry models. T1i and T2i vs the d5000 and d3100, canon do have a better product.

And the 7D is the best action aps-c on the market, just a tad better then then d300.

Canon do not have a FF to compete with the d700 for action.

Nikon and Canon both make excellent camera. And the differences between models that go head to head like the 7d and d300 is a coin toss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Thanks. :-)

No, my DSLR kit has been Canon 20D, 5D, and currently 5DMkII.

Canon and Nikon both obviously make very good cameras, and have tremendously powerful systems.

In the early days of digital, say 2000-2006 or so Canon really had no significant competition and took huge market share. This combined with their tremendous lead in their range of lenses which held from probably 1995-2008 or so.

However. Today I would say that Nikon (narrowly) make better cameras than Canon at most price points, and their lens range has caught up, and the quality of their lenses has always been excellent.

There is only one market where Canon still have the winning formula, and that is the Canon 5DMkII. A tremendous all-rounder for wedding/portrait/landscape/photojournalism in relatively normal/easy photographic conditions. It's almost as good in low light as the Nikon D700 and almost as high resolution as the Sony A900, so it works in both roles. And it's price is very good. And of course once you have a set of lenses/flashes etc, you're not going to change systems if the other camp pulls just slightly ahead.

Pentax however are more of a niche player. But they are an excellent company with a long photographic heritage and healthy (though small) profits. They stuggled during the transition to digital, where they saw their lucrative MF business die off as the FF digital cameras ate up their market. First though they concentrated on getting some excellent APS-C cameras to market, of which the K-5 is the last and best in a good line over the last few years. And now they have released their new, excellently priced, Digital Medium Format system, and early signs are tremendously good.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...hoot_out.shtml

It's never a mistake choosing a Canon or Nikon camera, but I genuinely believe that Pentax have produced a tremendous camera in the K-5. And if I were living in Sweden the weather sealing alone would probably sway me to that system. However, the K-5 is incredibly good in every other respect too. Possibly it falls slightly short compared to the Canon/Nikon in AF performance, but that is speculation based on past performance, and besides, this is not the pro-level sports AF market. It's mid-range DSLRs we are talking about.

In your shoes I would certainly choose the K-5.

The only reason I recommend a careful look at the D90 is that it is an excellent camera, which is selling now at not much more than 50% of its price of 3 months ago and is therefore an incredible bargain, and will allow you to spend a bit more money on lenses.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:35 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

ah but the canon 70-200mm is over twice the price of the da* 60-250mm - though it is a stop faster but has less of a focal length range
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:51 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyguru View Post
I love it !! It should be a weather sealed camera for me now

does this mean that canon 60D can be as weather sealed as K-5?
no the 60d is not weather sealed - if you read the specs of the 60d it is only good to a humidity of 85% and it makes no claims of being weather sealed - the 60d you gonna need a rain cover if you take it out in inclement weather - and it is only reliable between 0-40 degrees celcius - the k5 is rated for -10 degrees celcius - handy if you plan on going out in the cold to shoot

the d7000 - i've not read the specs on it but it does advertise partial enviromental seals as i seem to recall - no idea how good it is though and i'm not sure how many weather sealed lenses nikon make - certainly i dont think either nikon or canon do any weather sealed consumer lenses


jsut for little fun here some vids on k5 weather sealing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpjPq...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Nov 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM.
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:20 PM   #58
Member
 
whyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
no the 60d is not weather sealed - if you read the specs of the 60d it is only good to a humidity of 85% and it makes no claims of being weather sealed - the 60d you gonna need a rain cover if you take it out in inclement weather - and it is only reliable between 0-40 degrees celcius - the k5 is rated for -10 degrees celcius - handy if you plan on going out in the cold to shoot

the d7000 - i've not read the specs on it but it does advertise partial enviromental seals as i seem to recall - no idea how good it is though and i'm not sure how many weather sealed lenses nikon make - certainly i dont think either nikon or canon do any weather sealed consumer lenses


jsut for little fun here some vids on k5 weather sealing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpjPq...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk
Then 60D is clearly out of my choices, as a range of 0-40 degrees means that I can't use the camera outside for at least 4 or 5 months in sweden lol... pity, as I was really regarding it... .

D7000 and K-5 are remaining... and I am really astonished at the videos John posted... I mean imagine you just need to check if every input is closed and well-sealed, then then voila... I really should confess K-5 has caught my eyes...the only think i really wanted to be better with it was the second les, or more generally the weather sealed lens option. I would be happy if I could have at least a range of up to 300...

Here are my buy options with K-5:

1) K-5 with 18-55 WR: $1700 / 1250€ ... link: http://www.dustinhome.se/pd_5010484358.aspx
2) K-5 with 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR: $1950 / 1450 € ... link: http://www.dustinhome.se/pd_5010484359.aspx
3) K-5 with 18-55 WR and DA 55-300 ED: $2170 / 1600€ .... link to Pentax DA-55-300 : http://www.dustinhome.se/pd_5010166429.aspx

as I understand from your posts, DA lens is even better weather sealed than WR version?

Which option is best?

regards
Edwin

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM.
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:40 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
John.Pattullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 613
Default

the 60d almost certainly will work below 0 but its just not guarenteed to, you will likely have a very much reduced battery performance though. the d7000 is also officially from 0-40 degrees operating conditions - but again will likely be useable in colder conditions

for better lens for the k5 if your willing to spend more then the 60-250mm is weather sealed but its quite expensive - great lens though

the basic kit lens for pentax is pretty good - its not a fast lens but then no kit lenses ever are, its somewhat a miracle that they chose to weather seal them, dont think any other manufacturer seals consumer lenses - again if you want a fast aperture weather sealed lens then DA* 16-50mm is the one to go for

the new 18-135mm WR lens is another option - its supposed to be good but not tried it yet - certainly a nice lens to have if your going out for a walk in not so nice weather since you dont want to change lens in bad conditions and gives a nice focal range to cover most subjects
__________________
Flickr
PENTAX K-5 & PENTAX K-7
Pentax-DA 12-24mm f4 | Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f2.8 | Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 | Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax-DA* 60-250mm f4 | Sigma 150-500mm
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:45 PM   #60
Member
 
whyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 42
Default

what about the Pentax DA 55-300 ED lens which I posted its link my previous post? it is not a kit lens, not here anyway... is it decent? is it weather sealed?
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:38 AM.