Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:17 AM   #71

As for D7000, I have the option to go with 18-105 VR lens or 18-200 VR II lens... the VR II lens is about 400 euro more expensive...how much better is VR II than VR in this case? As I read, VR II has more stops than VR...

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:38 AM.
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:14 AM   #72

I would go with tht 18-105, less megazoom range. it will give you better results. A 2 lenses solution is always better then a 1 lens that covers allot of range.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:19 AM   #73

The pentax lenses are not as fast as the canon USM or nikon SWM lenses. So the k-5 AF might and I say might be the canon or d7000 equal. But with the lenses it does fall behind. The 50-200 and the 55-300 are not that fast, okay for avg action, but will not keep up with say a canon ef 70-300IS USM or the nikon AF-s 70-300VR. This is where pentax do fall behind. There is also limited SDM lenses form pentax. Even the Sigma HSM's are limited for pentax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
ok first things first - the k5 autofocus is not the same as the k-r's it has the + designation meaning it has a light wavelength sensor meaning autofocus is more accurate

and early tests show its autofocus continous is as good infact slightly better than the d7000 and 60d

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...o-focus-c.html - from reading test results might not be 100% but clearly is in the same ball park

the only area the pentax lens line up is abit weaker is for long range action but unless your talking about spending 5000 or more on a lens, for which yes canon and nikon do have such beasts, then the pentax line up is as good

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:31 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would go with tht 18-105, less megazoom range. it will give you better results. A 2 lenses solution is always better then a 1 lens that covers allot of range.
are EF lenses good enough to have? here are two good deals regarding the prices compared to those in Sweden ( i can have them shipped to me by my friend in canada):

http://www.mostlydigital.ca/product/...rrentRecord=11

and maybe a better deal:

http://www.mostlydigital.ca/product/...urrentRecord=7

and here I wonder why 18-200 kit is cheaper than 18-135 kit? :

http://simonscameras.ca/ and then go to digital slr cameras

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:36 AM   #75

I have a bunch of ef lenses, and they are very good lenses. The 2 packages are good, the first one would be he better out door action lens, as it is a usm lens with reach.

The second one would give you much better photo images, as it is a better combination. The 17-85 is a good lens, there are better. But it is USM so it will be good for outdoor action closer in. I have the 55-250 and though it is not a fast focusing lens. Optically it is very sharp. If you wanted to get a good outdoor action lens, the canon ef 70-300 would be a better lens.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The pentax lenses are not as fast as the canon USM or nikon SWM lenses. So the k-5 AF might and I say might be the canon or d7000 equal. But with the lenses it does fall behind. The 50-200 and the 55-300 are not that fast, okay for avg action, but will not keep up with say a canon ef 70-300IS USM or the nikon AF-s 70-300VR. This is where pentax do fall behind. There is also limited SDM lenses form pentax. Even the Sigma HSM's are limited for pentax.

you lost me now - yeah pentax number of sdm lens is limited but does cover fair number of them and all the newer lens designs will be sdm only from now on according to pentax

As for sigmajust about every lense they make is hsm and bar some of the really expensive lens like 800mm monsters and an 8mm fisheye and a 150mm macro they all come in a pentax flavour, hell they even come with OS in the lens for pentax and sony now so how is that limited?

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/index_pentax.htm

as for keeping up well in the tests run either autofocus is limiting the lens on canon and nikon or those lens aren't any faster than the pentax lenses used when paired with the k5 otherwise how did it keep up with tracking objects in continous autofocus?

and for landscapes and portraits the significantly better dynamic range of the k5 over the 60d would serve better for what whyguru said he would be shooting than $5,000+ lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:53 AM   #77

I like the pentax, but the sigma 70-200 HSM is not a pro level lens, just not as good as the canon 70-200 F4L wicked sharp not to expensive or the canon 70-200 f2.8L very very sharp more then the sigma but well worth it, the non IS version. So for action you are limited. And canon has 3 70-300 form not to expensive with the 70-300 IS USM, to the EF 70-300 DO, to the 70-300L and the new Tamron 70-300 LD VC. And they are all fast and good for outdoor action.

And we are talking about everything under the sun, canon and nikon lens lineup is a much better set up when you want to shoot everything.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:29 PM   #78

not entirely convinced - yeah canon has more lenses but at least half of them are more for a full frame camera than aps-c - 24-70mm is not alot of use on aps-c - not wide enough for landscape and not long enough for any serious telephoto work

as for speed in terms of aperture and super telephoto yeah canon has some better options - but by god do you pay through the nose for those lenses

and take the sigma lenses - the 70-200mm ok so its not quite as sharp as the canon version and would certainly expect that since its niegh on 4 times the price since you can happily pick up the unstablised version for pentax since it has in body stablisation

600 vs 2000 tell me for printing out even at A3 how much difference do you think that canon lens will make - not alot - now if used on the 5d then it has the resolution to make use of the optics and print very large

no matter how you look at it the d7000 is a better choice than the 60d as a camera system and if weather sealing is a priority then really the only ones i would trust would be the pentax and olympus e-5 - certainly dont see many people willing to put there canon/nikon cameras in the shower - but dispite its great sealing i couldn't recommend the olympus e-5 - the camera while good and an upgrade from the e-3 has whiffs of death on it - shame as the olympus zooms are gorgeous, but since they have said they wont be producing any more lenses for it........well not a good omen for starting a camera system
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:54 PM   #79

But the 15-85mm is almost L lens quality, but mid grade lens priced.

I shoot canon, olympus, and pentax, and get to shoot nikon at times. There is a reason that nikon and canon are the better all under the sun camera's

PS is you need a good non L 2.8 lens, the 17-55 2.8 is another winner.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:17 PM   #80

John Pattullo and shoturtle, my forum friends, I am really getting some great ideas and information from your discussion ... but I am kind of lost among D7000, 60D and K-5... apart from k-5 superior body sealing which a clear winner in this respect, all the three cameras are still candidates for me, from what I understand from your posts. 60D has also a price plus, as it is somehow cheaper than the other two. While the other two are kind of close in price tag, I can get a kit of 2 WR lenses with k-5 at the price of one D7000 kit with one lens, 18-105. so please undrstand my headache

I almost spend whole of my nights searching and researching on Internet about these cameras, believe it or not. This is a big step for me when it comes to my hobbies and life-style.

Last edited by whyguru; Nov 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM.