Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2010, 4:30 PM   #81

For what you are planning to shoot, which is everything. The nikon or the canon is the better route. I would not get as caught up with the body and focus more about lenses.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:13 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The da 55-300 is a much better lens the the 50-200 WR. But if you are shooting action it is okay, not great just okay. As they are not the fast focusing lenses.
how do you reach this conclusion? how do you judge this? i just wanna know more on how to recognize better lenses...
especially when say "... not the fast focusing lenses..."
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:35 PM   #83

There are allot of review sites, and if you look at the comparison photos between the 55-300 and the 50-200. You will not need to pixel peep to see the difference. There is a member here that recently went with the k-5 with the 50-200, and then added the 55-300. And the difference in sharpness at 300mm was way better the the 50-200 at 200mm. All the info or on the net. And there are a ton of samples.

Here are links form greenbarons 50-200 vs 55-300

Here is the 55-300
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ay-action.html

Here is the 50-200
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ay-action.html
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:40 AM   #84

Hejsan Whyguru!

Tänkte på det här med väder tätning! Jag har fotat med min förra Nikon D5000 en hel vinter, samt i lättare regn utan problem. D5000 är inte vädertätad.
Jag har fotat hela denna vintern med min Canon EOS 50D utan problem. Den är vädertätad men mitt objektiv är det inte. Inget problem med den heller.
Så jag tror inte du ska stirra dig blind på vädertätning. Det finns billiga regnskydd att köpa, och ska man fota i ordentligt regn så skulle jag välja att ha ett sånt oavsett hur mycket vädertätad kameran är. För det blir svårt att få ut något på garantin om den blir fuktskadad. Så jag skulle aldrig chansa med en så pass dyr kamera när det finns billiga och bra regnskydd.
Jag har som sagt haft Nikon och trivdes mycket bra med den. Jag bytte dock till Canon p.g.a. det finns många fler objektiv att välja mellan. Det finns även L objektiv som är Canons proffs objektiv serie, till vettiga priser om man inte behöver ha bländare f2,8. Det finns gott om L objektiv med fast bländare f4 som är kalas bra.
När det gäller Pentax så är det kanon kameror, men det finns helt enkelt inte lika mycket prisvärda objektiv och tillbehör.
Oavsett vad folk säger så kan det även vara en idé att kolla in en beggad Canon 50D. Folk säger att den har dåliga iso prestanda, men jag håller inte med. Om du vill så skulle du kunna komma till mig och få testa min. Jag bor strax utanför Stockholm. I Ösmo.
Lycka till med köpet.

For all of you who don´t understand swedish, I told him about raincovers and that I have been shooting in really cold weather with both my D5000 and my 50D. And in lighter rain with my D5000.
I also told him that I changed from Nikon to Canon because of the lens choice.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:25 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Thanks. :-)

No, my DSLR kit has been Canon 20D, 5D, and currently 5DMkII.

Canon and Nikon both obviously make very good cameras, and have tremendously powerful systems.

In the early days of digital, say 2000-2006 or so Canon really had no significant competition and took huge market share. This combined with their tremendous lead in their range of lenses which held from probably 1995-2008 or so.

However. Today I would say that Nikon (narrowly) make better cameras than Canon at most price points, and their lens range has caught up, and the quality of their lenses has always been excellent.

There is only one market where Canon still have the winning formula, and that is the Canon 5DMkII. A tremendous all-rounder for wedding/portrait/landscape/photojournalism in relatively normal/easy photographic conditions. It's almost as good in low light as the Nikon D700 and almost as high resolution as the Sony A900, so it works in both roles. And it's price is very good. And of course once you have a set of lenses/flashes etc, you're not going to change systems if the other camp pulls just slightly ahead.

Pentax however are more of a niche player. But they are an excellent company with a long photographic heritage and healthy (though small) profits. They stuggled during the transition to digital, where they saw their lucrative MF business die off as the FF digital cameras ate up their market. First though they concentrated on getting some excellent APS-C cameras to market, of which the K-5 is the last and best in a good line over the last few years. And now they have released their new, excellently priced, Digital Medium Format system, and early signs are tremendously good.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...hoot_out.shtml

It's never a mistake choosing a Canon or Nikon camera, but I genuinely believe that Pentax have produced a tremendous camera in the K-5. And if I were living in Sweden the weather sealing alone would probably sway me to that system. However, the K-5 is incredibly good in every other respect too. Possibly it falls slightly short compared to the Canon/Nikon in AF performance, but that is speculation based on past performance, and besides, this is not the pro-level sports AF market. It's mid-range DSLRs we are talking about.

In your shoes I would certainly choose the K-5.

The only reason I recommend a careful look at the D90 is that it is an excellent camera, which is selling now at not much more than 50% of its price of 3 months ago and is therefore an incredible bargain, and will allow you to spend a bit more money on lenses.
I agree with you.

Also in addition Sweden is a northern country, with lot's of winter.

I live in a similar climate... Canada and have had a fair amount of experience in very cold weather. I would think the OP would want to go out in the winter...as I'm sure Sweden's winters are as long as Western Canada's.

I take my old Pentax K10D (weather sealed) and newer KM (K2000- not weather sealed) out on many a day, down forest rails...during the winter.

Where I live winter seems to last about 5 1/2 months and it's very cold...15 to 25 below seems to be the norm during parts of Dec., January and February.

I'm getting older...so I don't go out much past -15, as much as I did.

But in the years before I was out there on a regular basis with my K10D, 55-300 and 16-45 in cold Canadian weather.

All my camera equipment works fine. Never had a problem with any Pentax DSLR equipment, breakdowns. ...touch wood .

I'm usually out for an hour or two.

Even though the K10D is weather sealed I always stuff a plastic bag....like a Glad or very large Freezer bag in my pocket. If it does snow...I cover the camera equipment in the bag....even though my K10D will handle it.

I beleive you can get a WR...weather resistant version of the 55-300 mm Pentax lens and other WR versions in the rest of their lenses.

I know I've been extremely happy with the picture quality my 55-300mm churns out. It may be a consumer lens but the ratings are very high, not just mine, but publications.

I would also say IMO, the expensive Pentax DA 300 F4, is very competitive with similar lenses in the top echelon of Canon (L) or Nikon lenses. Along with the Pentax limited series. In fact one of my lenses...Pentax 12-24mm, is judged to be the 'best of it's class' by Popular Photography.

The new Pentax 100 WR Macro was also judged to be superb.

Popular Photography indicated that it's " SQF results held onto an excellent rating all the way to 16 X 20- better than the Canon 100mm F 2.8 IS which only held this rating to 11 X 14.....PP continued to say..with it's excellent handling and it's magnificent optics, this macro lens was made even stronger with the addition of it's water resistant features.."

Pentax is known for it's excellent glass.

I would also say that Pentax, Nikon and Canon ....all make fine equipment.

In fact I've got a new Canon G12, (bought last month) which is a wonderful little camera. One that seems very rugged, well designed and for a small, non dslr is capable of turning out excellent pictures.

The market is so competitive now, it's hard to go wrong.

Yes Canon and Nikon have a greater array of lenses and accessories than Pentax, Olympus, et al.

But you need to think what are your photographic needs.

In my case I have telephotos that go to 300mm digital (35mm equivalent of 450mm), ultra wide angle that goes to 12 mm, Fisheye that is a zoom fom 10mm to 17mm, macro that is a 50mm F 2.8 and a fast 50mm F 1.4 that I use for available light (because of it's fast F 1.4) and portraits because of it's sharpness and 35mm equivalent of around 75 mm.

All these lenses are Pentax and I don't think in my situation I need any more lenses.

Would I like a faster 400 mm F 2.8....maybe, but I believe the price for this type of lens is in the 1000's of dollars.

I can't afford $ 4-5000 CAD and I have to say I wonder about fast lenses and cameras nowadays that are capable of such high ISO....every new model seems to have less concerns about noise at higher ISO.

So you (OP) need to try out the different cameras and lenses...see what feels best for you.

I would also suggest research reviews, tests...even rent if you can, before you buy.

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 21, 2011 at 3:31 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:38 PM   #86

Hi,

Some points to consider:

At this equipment level, all 3 will provide you with many years of service.

Since you've narrowed the field down to 3 specific cameras. Frankly, My suggestion is that you go to a camera shop or shops and individually try them out.

The size and weight of a camera body and how it fits in your hand is very subjective. Try out the user interface and see which one is the easiest FOR YOU to follow and understand. Look at the button placement on the camera. Do they make sense to you?. Do any of them get in the way?

These factors are critical to your enjoyment of your equipment.

Also, I would create a list of the lenses you would like to have that will meet your photographic needs, then discuss with the store sales clerk, the cost of the lenses from each manufacturer. Reason being, that when you buy a camera, you're really making a commitment to the camera system since you'll quickly spend far more for the lenses than you did for the camera.

Last, I think service after the sale is important. Personally, I want to be able to go to a local shop that can service my needs, repair my camera, and discuss with me my future lens requirements as necessary. In my location, that means one camera manufacturer.

Good luck with your choice.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:55 PM   #87

hi everyone

I finally picked up a camera ... I bought canon 60D with two lenses, 18-55 and 55-250, both IS ... I hope I have made a wise decision lol...
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:00 PM   #88

Congrats.

They are both very sharp lenses. And produce very good images with the 60D. But LBA will bite you one day, they you will want prime, or big aperture zoom.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:45 PM   #89

The 60D combo is a heck of a starter system which will last for a long while. I don't think you will be sorry. Enjoy your new toys!
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:31 PM   #90

I've only just come across this thread. I was going to suggest the new T3i (600D) but the 60D is a very sound choice. And those two lenses make an excellent starter kit that you won't grow out of very quickly. Later you may want to add a faster lens or two for those long dark Swedish winters, and there you might consider the Tamron f2.8 lenses. One lens I would buy straight away is Canon's Nifty Fifty - the 50mm f1.8. Very cheap, very fast, and very good.