Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Default replacing my Canon S5 IS.......

HELLO, this is my first post here so i hope i can learn a lot.

ANYWAY, my canon s5 is is having some issues......there are SEVERAL purple dots showing up in my pics lately. i figured it was nothing then as my daughter was sleeping very strangely last night, i took the camera in to take a pic. it was pitch black luckily i was dead on, but i noticed on the screen were like 12 tiny purple dots as well...i just cant see them when im in the light......so i called my local wolf camera shop where i bought it and they were saying that to send it to canon and have it repaired itll be like $300.00 so i figured maybe ill just replace it??

i really like this camera, (even though i dont know how to use most of the functions) but i was taking pics of a friends wedding and they were all comparing them to the photographers and some family were saying mine were better......now im by NO MEANS even a decent photographer.....i just point and shoot at what i feel is the best time..and that just so happens to be what most people love seeing i guess.....

anyway i got my s5 is brand new when it first came out.....so its given me TONS of beautiful pics of both my babies......but i just dont see $300.00 to fix it....... im kind of scared to go DSLR cause i really dont know how to use soo many of the functions.......on this camera its on AUTo like 80% of the time.. then SCR the other % of the time.

so to conclude.....whats a good replacement?? ive been looking at the Canon PowerShot SX30 IS should i stay with a good point and shoot like this? it is nice to have the zoom, or go with a decent DSLR?

Last edited by bryman; Nov 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:54 PM   #2

if you want to move up a bit, and have dslr quality. And still have the fully ease of a pns. You may want to look at a EVIL camera. The have much larger sensors that are from dslr, but have very user friendly menu and auto settings. And if you want to get more into shooting, they give you full control like a dslr. The only thing they are not good at like a dslr is action shooting.

olympus epl-1 - olympus and panasonic can interchange lenses as they are both m4/3
panasonic gf-1 - not great for low light
sony nex 3 or 5, not the best lenses but the best in low light from the sensor point of view.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:48 AM   #3

those seem pretty cool actually, but yeah kinda pricey. but i was kinda wanting to stay with canon i like the feel of canon probably since that's all i have ever owned was canon. they feel right in my hands. and im an anti Sony person too.......sorry Sony guys

Last edited by bryman; Nov 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:39 PM   #4

the epl-1 as a referb from adorama is the 399 less the a g12
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:48 PM   #5

i felt the same way about canons - they were all i owned till i discovered the gf1. i hear the epl1 has a very good auto, and i know its jpg quality is very good, a plus if you're used to shooting only jpg's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
those seem pretty cool actually, but yeah kinda pricey. but i was kinda wanting to stay with canon i like the feel of canon probably since that's all i have ever owned was canon. they feel right in my hands. and im an anti Sony person too.......sorry Sony guys
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the epl-1 as a referb from adorama is the 399 less the a g12

ok ill admit im intrigued by that EPL-1...........now, not knowing much about interchangeable lenses..whats the lens on it like? what are the othel lens options?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:13 PM   #7

The kit lens is decent a 3.5x zoom. It does the job. But you can add lenses form panasonic as well. The panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a excellent low light lens, and very sharp. There are couple of zoom lenses option. You have the panasonic 45-200mm, and it is a good complement to the kit lens. Then there is the olympus 40-150 it AF a bit faster then the panasonic zoom. Then there are 2 megazoom panasonic 14-140 and the olympus 14-150. Then you have the long tele zoom coming out the panasonic 100-300 and the olympus 75-300. With all these lenses you need to multiply by 2x for the 35mm eq in length do to the crop factor. So with the 300mm zooms you have 600mm or reach.

But there are more lens options depending on what you like to shoot.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:37 PM   #8

great info thanks, but honestly i really have no idea what a lot of it all means....for example.....the lens that comes with the kit..3.5x ..whats the zoom distance? like on my cannon it has a 12x optical zoom, that means 12x the distance of my vision right?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 9:58 PM   #9

With the 2x crop factor the 14-42mm covers 28mm to 84mm.

The 12x on the s5 is form 36-430mm. Because the sensor is so smaller that the crop factor that lets the 6-72mm lens give you that reach with the 7x crop factor.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:31 PM   #10

new the epl-1 is 399 at adorama also now